Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 05:41

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Dr Aseem Malhotra's Talk to European Parliament

Dr Kendrick placed the direct You Tube link to the entire talk, 1 hour 44 minutes (with much improved sound quality from the original live-stream, that was impossible to hear, and with better editing)

Big Pharma, Killing for profit.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2018/...ean-parliament/

Quote:
Last week, Aseem Malhotra addressed the European Parliament to talk about the complete nonsense of the current dietary guidelines. Also, the power of the Nutritional and pharmaceutical industries to distort those guidelines and drive the use of more and more medications. I recommend that everyone has a look.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-16-18 at 03:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 05:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Wow! Great stuff.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 13:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, once again, Janet, for the link. When I watched it, the quality of voice and video was not an issue, and lips moved with the correct words. Very encouraging that these types of discussions are taking place. We live in a world of pseudo science being developed for the sole purpose of protecting profits. This movement away from current medical practices toward an awareness of the power of nutrition started at the grass roots level and is now starting to transition into more of a mainstream awareness. It will take time and be painful, as there will be corporate and government interests fighting to protect their financial gains. Yet, for those who have developed this awareness today, the increasing awareness is becoming evident. I have seen members of my family start to eat clean by eliminating grains, starches, and sweets from their diets. Not only that, but the results inspire continuing this approach, as my daughter recently informed me that this is now her way of life. I have several acquaintances who have embarked on the same journey. Five years ago, when I became a very strict low carber, I didn't have evidence of these changes. Focusing on my own WOE/WOL was my objective, and I know that setting that type of example influenced some in a nonverbal way. Trying to sell at a personal level doesn't always work.

I'm still having problems understanding how my GP can continue to maintain the same flawed philosophy, but that will change over time as well. My role in this relationship is to ensure he does no harm, and if he insists on a treatment that I think is unfounded and/or unhealthy, maybe we can have a rational discussion. Things are changing and awareness is slowly increasing for the better, and I'll take that for now.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 23:43

BF:

It feels very strange to be part of a paradigm shift in science. When I first read the Atkins’ book, what I found most convincing was the science. And then, how the science works in my body.

It is rough to hear I’m just “doing a fad diet” all this time, that I’m an unethical person because I’m not vegan, that I’m a conspiracy theorist thinking Big Pharma doesn’t mind killing me, as long as they do it slowly enough to extract profit.

But since what I’m doing, works, i have to stick with it. But i have lost track of the number of people once here who couldn’t stick with it partly because of “peer pressure.” The constant support of the staus quo in the media and the doctor disapproval and the concerned relatives and making themselves conspicuous by their food choices... it is an added burden I hope will lift at some point.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 17:55

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I get the “fad diet” crap when I turn down wheat-containing things because I am sensitive to gluten. I am sick of explaining it. Maybe I should take some, not eat it, and say I can’t eat it because it tastes terrible....heh heh.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 19:05

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I seem to get decent results when questioned about my eating in public, avoiding something carby or eating just meat and butter etc., by just saying my blood sugar would rise too much. No need to define what I personally consider too much.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 06:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It feels very strange to be part of a paradigm shift in science. When I first read the Atkins’ book, what I found most convincing was the science. And then, how the science works in my body.

It is rough to hear I’m just “doing a fad diet” all this time, that I’m an unethical person because I’m not vegan, that I’m a conspiracy theorist thinking Big Pharma doesn’t mind killing me, as long as they do it slowly enough to extract profit.

But since what I’m doing, works, i have to stick with it. But i have lost track of the number of people once here who couldn’t stick with it partly because of “peer pressure.” The constant support of the staus quo in the media and the doctor disapproval and the concerned relatives and making themselves conspicuous by their food choices... it is an added burden I hope will lift at some point.

It really bothers me how it seems to have become common "knowledge" that eating a vegan diet is both the healthiest and the most ethically sound way to eat. Just last evening at a meeting I was attending a woman talked about this great restaurant that served really healthy and delicious food, vegan of course, as if everyone knows vegan is the healthiest way to eat.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 08:51

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
It really bothers me how it seems to have become common "knowledge" that eating a vegan diet is both the healthiest and the most ethically sound way to eat."

I agree. But, as long as they don't INSIST that I follow their way of eating, I don't care how many other people eat vegan. It just leaves more meat for me!

Problem is that I do think I'm seeing a groundswell of vegans pushing who are towards creating LEGISLATION to advance their vegan agenda. And IMHO, when they do that they've "quit preaching and gone to meddling!"
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 09:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Ethics of veganism falls down if they lose the health wars--even just trying to convince somebody of their own free will to go vegan becomes less ethical, if that person's health is likely to suffer as a result. I'd sacrifice a cow's life over my niece or nephew's health, any day. If somebody did some version of veganism and their diabetes went into remission--and I think this does happen, sometimes--I'd never try to convince them to change their ways, if that was working for them, although I might encourage certain supplements for nutrients that are going to be low on a vegan diet.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 07:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
It really bothers me how it seems to have become common "knowledge" that eating a vegan diet is both the healthiest and the most ethically sound way to eat.

When it is often just as processed and artificial as the SAD.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-18, 08:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Aseem Malhotra has acheived the pinnacle of podcasting fame IMO with the news of a "Pro Butter Bias" at the British Journal of Sports Medicine. It was included in my favorite Podcast "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" 20th anniversary show "Bluff the Listener" segment starting about minute 13.5.
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/344098...t-don-t-tell-me
Outright cheating, not able to be bluffed because I actually knew the answer.

http://mybestmedicine.com/health-ne...ro-butter-bias/