Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 20:13

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%
Default Summation of Seyfried's Cancer book

I just came across a blog by an MD who follows a primal/low carb diet herself and who presents a summation of Dr Seyfried's book "Cancer as a Metabolic Disease". It's a long detailed explanation of Seyfried's ideas and the rest of the blog looks interesting too, though I have not yet read the rest of it. I don't think anyone has linked to this yet.

Quote:
Thomas Seyfried PhD, a brain cancer researcher with over 25 years of experience in the field, gave a groundbreaking presentation about cancer at the Ancestral Health Symposium held at Harvard Law School this past August. The three main take-home points of his talk (spoiler alert!):

1. Cancer is not caused by genetic mutations
2. Cancer is a mitochondrial disease
3. Cancer can be treated with ketogenic diets

After attending his lecture, which challenged everything I thought I knew about cancer, I was inspired to read his new book, entitled Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer. In it he lays out 400+ pages of dense scientific evidence–complete with 1,740 references, and dozens of charts, graphs and full-color glossy images to make his case. It’s a powerful and compelling argument. The book is expensive, and would be nearly impossible to understand without a strong scientific background, but the secrets inside are so important that I wanted to make them available to everyone–they simply must be shared. This series of articles is dedicated to my friends, family, colleagues, and patients who are battling cancer or who have loved ones suffering with cancer. May this information bring you hope.

Link
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 20:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

wow! groundbreaking!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 22:21

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 185/133.6/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I love Dr. Georgia Ede's blog. Read through her Cholesterol pages and protein and carb/sugar articles. She is SPOT ON and I love how she breaks down complex concepts so the rest of us (that would be me) can follow along easier.

Awesome blog.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-13, 23:28

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerow
I love Dr. Georgia Ede's blog. Read through her Cholesterol pages and protein and carb/sugar articles. She is SPOT ON and I love how she breaks down complex concepts so the rest of us (that would be me) can follow along easier.

Awesome blog.

I've been following her blog for a week or two since she posted a highly articulate comment on cholesterol to the NYTimes well blog. I love that her posts are so clear, but also she's a woman who struggles with her weight. She knows the theories, tests them, doesn't always get the results she hopes for. In short, she's One of Us. She too is searching for the answers.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 12:23

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
A huge variety of things in the world—from viruses to radiation to chemicals to oxidation—can damage DNA and cause mutations. Seyfried quotes Nobel-prize winner Alfred Szent-Györgyi:“…
“…it is getting more and more difficult to find something that is not carcinogenic.”

If you think about this... anything that disturbs homeostasis might disrupt cell function... thus disrupt dna repair... potentially lead to cancer.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 12:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Her entire four part series on cancer and dietary interventions is excellent. Start with teasers link and read up to current in her blog if interested in possibly using a ketogenic diet for cancer treatment or prevention.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-13, 13:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm... just read one of her posts and thought she sounded like me with her lack of ability to lose on a LC diet, and even gaining.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-13, 08:01

What I got from her review of the book is that the author feels that cancer in not a product of genetic mutations particularly, but it is a disease of the mitochondria. If you keep your mitochondria well nourished with fats and protein, and limit sugars, aberrant cells will die young and never go on to be cancer.

I found that to be a profoundly different view of cancer than I've read elsewhere.

And, yeah, Nancy, that's what I mean about her being one of us. She KNOWS the struggle.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-13, 09:30
Registered Member

Plan: hf, lc, rf
Stats: 215/164/135 Female 58.5 inches
BF:??%/27%/18%
Progress: 64%
Lightbulb

Wow. Just wow. This is incredible. So many things just clicked.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 07:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

For anyone following her Ketogenic Diet experiment, Dr. Edes has posted her week two results:
http://diagnosisdiet.com/ketosis-week-2/
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 09:12
Experimenter

BF:

I love her posts. She promised to post something about chocolate for V-day.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 10:05

She said the chocolate post will be out this weekend.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 10:33

Plan: ECLECTIC LC-MFP
Stats: 321/182/196 Male 72
BF:ABDOMINABLY?!
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
For anyone following her Ketogenic Diet experiment, Dr. Edes has posted her week two results:
http://diagnosisdiet.com/ketosis-week-2/
Thanks Jey...
Interesting - Very interesting!! Can't wait to see how this n=1 experiment comes out!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 10:44

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I'm surprised to see that she is blaming her dry eye problem on eating olives. I find that dropping my carb intake to less than 15 or 20 causes the same problem with my eyes, which is very annoying and can't be a good thing for my eyes. Adding carbs back in gets rid of the eye problem for me, olives or no olives.

I have suffered from the eye problem off and on for a long time, and feel dumb for never connecting the dots and realizing that very low carb was my problem. Kind of have to say thanks to the Jaminets' book for pointing out the relationship between carb intake and dry eyes.

Anybody else have the dry eye problem?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 11:29
Experimenter

BF:

I agree, Turtle. I forgot to mention that in my comment.