Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-10, 11:45

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 314/201.2/193 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi all!

Aeroangie, yes, I've been on Metformin for years now. Thankfully, my periods have been regulated, both in part to losing the weight and the Metformin. And just to add to this: I am so thankful that my husband and I were able to have our kids (we have two teen daughters), although it was a struggle to get pregnant, especially with our youngest. Back then, I didn't even know that I had PCOS, but as I look back, I see the various symptoms that I had as a younger lady that suggested PCOS.

Niknak, actually, I didn't know about needing the vitamin C to help absorb the iron. I'll have to mention that to him this coming week. As for supplements, I take vitamin D, iron (from the vitamin section), and magnesium. Since starting this week on SB, I've also included the fiber capsules back in my daily routine, to help with regularitiy.

Judy, did you lose your weight following the original book, or the Supercharged version? I have both books (the Supercharged is borrowed from the library) and there seems to be quite a variation in the allowable foods in comparing Phase I. So, I'm using the food lists from Supercharged. Like I mentioned earlier, I printed a "cheat" sheet for myself, along with the guidelines on how to incorporate the allowable foods into meals. In comparison to the way I've eaten on CALP, there is a nice, new variety of foods that I can eat. Also, I've included the snacks, as I read that they are required. While I followed CALP, I NEVER ate between meals, EVER! Nor did I have any beverages outside of my Reward Meal (the meal of the day where "carbs" were permitted) other than water. Actually, today is the first day in almost three years that I've had a cup of hot tea (decaf vanilla, plain) during the day. Feels very strange for me! And this morning felt strange as well -- I had 4 oz. of vegetable juice at breakfast!! It's going to take some getting used to, but for my weight management/loss (hopefully) I'm willing to take the chances. Like I said, I LOVED following CALP -- it literally was a life-saver for me. I began weighing at least 314 pounds (I'm actually sure it was more, but that was the first recordable weight I used) in March of 2007, the month I turned 40. My doctor was making preliminary plans for me to start the process for weight loss surgery, and I told him I hadn't exhausted all of my options -- so I went home that day and dusted off my book, and the rest is history. Like I said, I started at 314 pounds, and on December 24, 2008 I weighed 193 pounds. Today I weigh 201.25 pounds. I've actually dropped some pounds since Tuesday (my starting date on SB), so that is thrilling!

Oh, another sidenote: I went through the same winter weight gain last winter as well. I do honestly believe that it partly has to do with SAD. Our winters are so long in duration here; I truly believe, in my case, that winter and my body's biology and reactions are linked.

Wow, long post.....it's nice to be here!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 04:53

Plan: Stillman's South Beach
Stats: 190/133/133 Female 5ft 9in shrunk!!
BF:
Progress: 100%

[QUOTE=Liguori]
Niknak, actually, I didn't know about needing the vitamin C to help absorb the iron. I'll have to mention that to him this coming week. As for supplements, I take vitamin D, iron (from the vitamin section), and magnesium. Since starting this week on SB, I've also included the fiber capsules back in my daily routine, to help with regularitiy.
QUOTE]

Found this info for you. Though I have to say if you took that many supplements you would definitely rattle when you moved.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 10:01

BF:

Thank you, Niknak! I appreciate the info! Makes me wonder why my doctor never mentioned this to me!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 10:14
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquori
did you lose your weight following the original book, or the Supercharged version? I have both books (the Supercharged is borrowed from the library) and there seems to be quite a variation in the allowable foods in comparing Phase I. So, I'm using the food lists from Supercharged. Like I mentioned earlier, I printed a "cheat" sheet for myself, along with the guidelines on how to incorporate the allowable foods into meals. In comparison to the way I've eaten on CALP, there is a nice, new variety of foods that I can eat. Also, I've included the snacks, as I read that they are required. While I followed CALP, I NEVER ate between meals, EVER! Nor did I have any beverages outside of my Reward Meal (the meal of the day where "carbs" were permitted) other than water. Actually, today is the first day in almost three years that I've had a cup of hot tea (decaf vanilla, plain) during the day. Feels very strange for me! And this morning felt strange as well -- I had 4 oz. of vegetable juice at breakfast!! It's going to take some getting used to, but for my weight management/loss (hopefully) I'm willing to take the chances. Like I said, I LOVED following CALP -- it literally was a life-saver for me. I began weighing at least 314 pounds (I'm actually sure it was more, but that was the first recordable weight I used) in March of 2007, the month I turned 40. My doctor was making preliminary plans for me to start the process for weight loss surgery, and I told him I hadn't exhausted all of my options -- so I went home that day and dusted off my book, and the rest is history. Like I said, I started at 314 pounds, and on December 24, 2008 I weighed 193 pounds. Today I weigh 201.25 pounds. I've actually dropped some pounds since Tuesday (my starting date on SB), so that is thrilling!

I used the food list from the original book and from the SBD offical web site itself. I used to be a member there. But the newer food lists are fairly the same and we have them right here in the weighin thread.
I like having the choice to have a snack if I am hungry during the day....for newbies just starting out, it is not optional but as we move further into this, that is when they become optional. I'm glad to know that its working for you too.
I too, had coinsidered going for WLS...but felt that I would be so much better off if I could get it done on my own....and am so happy that I did it this way!!
I'm still not clear what you ate at your reward meal as your "carb" when you were following the CAD plan. I tried to follow that plan many years ago and wasn't successful at it at all...I'm glad to know that bit worked for you.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Feb-22-10, 13:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I used the food list from the original book and from the SBD offical web site itself. I used to be a member there. But the newer food lists are fairly the same and we have them right here in the weighin thread.
I like having the choice to have a snack if I am hungry during the day....for newbies just starting out, it is not optional but as we move further into this, that is when they become optional. I'm glad to know that its working for you too.
I too, had coinsidered going for WLS...but felt that I would be so much better off if I could get it done on my own....and am so happy that I did it this way!!
I'm still not clear what you ate at your reward meal as your "carb" when you were following the CAD plan. I tried to follow that plan many years ago and wasn't successful at it at all...I'm glad to know that bit worked for you.

Judy, I was afraid to try the surgery, plus I knew that if I couldn't get my eating under control under myself, I believe it would have been that much harder with the surgery. As far as my "carb" portions at my Reward Meals, I ate a variety of things. I ate what I made my family, just made sure that I balanced my plate to the thirds: 1/3 low carb veggies, 1/3 protein, and 1/3 carb portion. For instance, if I made spaghetti, I would substitute fried cabbage for the spaghetti, but I would use the sauce on top and I'd have the meatballs (homemade, with bread crumb as an ingredient). The third portion of carbs had to include sweets or fruit or bread or whatever was not on their (Hellers') list of lower carb foods. It is a wonderful plan for someone like me, a "carb addict," however, I wanted to try to get the scale moving again!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-23-10, 10:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liguori
Judy, I was afraid to try the surgery, plus I knew that if I couldn't get my eating under control under myself, I believe it would have been that much harder with the surgery. As far as my "carb" portions at my Reward Meals, I ate a variety of things. I ate what I made my family, just made sure that I balanced my plate to the thirds: 1/3 low carb veggies, 1/3 protein, and 1/3 carb portion. For instance, if I made spaghetti, I would substitute fried cabbage for the spaghetti, but I would use the sauce on top and I'd have the meatballs (homemade, with bread crumb as an ingredient). The third portion of carbs had to include sweets or fruit or bread or whatever was not on their (Hellers') list of lower carb foods. It is a wonderful plan for someone like me, a "carb addict," however, I wanted to try to get the scale moving again!

OK..thanks.
I guess I was trying to figure out if you have removed refined carbs from your life? and what is a portion?

This is what had me confused when I tried their plan many years ago. I needed to know exactly how much and which exact foods....vagueness and I do not get along. I'm very literal!!