Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins, Carb Solutions,my own modified
Stats: 156/128/&;130
BF:
Progress:
Default cholesterol and understanding it's numbers?

Help!
I've been having the hardest time for the past two months. I went to a dermotolgist because my hair has been falling out. And when I went in for my annual check up my cholesterol is high. I don't really know what to do? And trying to understanding the numbers and their definitions for the HDL and LDL.
HDL=240
LDL=158
Triglycerides=91
Ratio for HDL=3.8

My blood pressure is always low ie. 100/70
And all I have been craving is sweet things. I am having a hard time getting back on the low carb and if I should try to help in modifying it to lower my HDL.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 06:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Jacki - I think you've got a typo there, (HDL 240).
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 12:31
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

hi Jacki ..

As Atriana says, I think you misquoted the HDL .. I suspect the number listed is the TOTAL cholesterol. HDL is typically a much smaller number, around 40 + or -, preferably +
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TYPES OF CHOLESTEROL

Cholesterol travels in the blood in packages called lipoproteins.
  • Cholesterol packaged in low-density lipoprotein (LDL) is often called "bad" cholesterol, because too much LDL in blood can lead to cholesterol buildup and blockage in the arteries.

Another type of cholesterol, which is packaged in high-density lipoprotein (HDL), is known as "good" cholesterol. That is because HDL helps remove cholesterol from the blood, preventing it from piling up in the arteries. The higher your HDL, the less your risk of coronary heart disease.
CHOLESTEROL LEVELS & RISK
  • Desirable: Total cholesterol below 200 mg/dL (5.2 mmol/L), LDL below 130 mg/dL (3.3 mmol/L), HDL over 40 mg/dL (1.03 mmol/L) -- over 60 (1.55) is protective against heart disease.

Moderate risk: Total cholesterol 200-240 (5.2-6.2), LDL 130-159 (3.4-4.1), HDL below 40 (1.03)

High risk: Total cholesterol over 240 (6.2), LDL over 159 (4.1), HDL below 35 (0.9)
TRIGLYCERIDES

Triglycerides are a type of lipid that circulate in the bloodstream and are essential for good health. They are produced in the liver from fats and carbohydrates.

Factors that contribute to high triglycerides include obesity and overweight, physical inactivity, cigarette smoking, excess alcohol intake, high-carbohydrate diets, several diseases (including type 2 diabetes, chronic renal failure, and nephrotic syndrome), some drugs (such as corticosteroids, estrogens, retinoids, and high doses of beta blockers), and certain genetic disorders.

Triglyceride levels below 200 mg/dL (2.3 mmol/L) is normal. Higher levels are considered a risk factor for heart disease.

HDL RATIOS

A very convenient way of expressing your risk of heart disease which takes into account both the total (bad) and HDL (good) cholesterol is the ratio between the two. If this is under 4.5, you don't need to worry, although a 'perfect' score would be under 3.5. So if your total cholesterol is 200 mg/dl and your HDL 50 mg/dl, your ratio is 4, and you're OK. But if your total is 200 and your HDL 35, your ratio is 5.7, and you may have a problem.

The ratio is sometimes expressed as the LDL/HDL ratio, in which case the cutoff points would be different. It's actually no better than the cholesterol/HDL ratio in terms of predicting who's at risk, and more expensive to perform.

Chol/HDL: below 3.0 low, 3.0-3.6 average, 3.7-4.6 moderate, over 4.6 high

LDL/HDL: below 2.3 low, 2.3-4.1 average, 4.1-5.6 moderate, over 5.6 high
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 00:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Smile Chrissy's Cholesterol

I got my results back from my blood work from Feb 4/02.
Couldn't understand the numbers over the phone, so I went in and got a photo copy of my results.

I just wish I would of got my tests done before I started Atkins. Oh well, my doc said what ever your doing, keep it up.

Triglycerides 1.01
Cholesterol 4.57
HDL 1.00
LDL 3.11

Other major test:

Glucose-Fast 4.3
Hemoglobin .42
Ketones 3+

I never knew what my blood type I was either, so I got that done too..... I am O negative, and according to this group, high protein, low carb is the best diet to go on.......by nature I'm a hunter!

My Thyroid was low though, and I've been on a perscripton (Eltroxin) for the last 2 months now and I just had a new test done last week, will find out if I need to be upped or lowered on meds. I don't feel cold no more, although, I can't say I have more energy.

For the newbies who want to start the WOL, Its a real good idea as Dr. Atkins suggested in his book to get your blood work done first. Its well worth your health and its good to keep track of!

Take care
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 10:19
Forum Founder

BF:
Thumbs up

Those are great numbers Chrissy!

Hemoglobin 0.4? That's a typo, right?? Normal hemoglobin for woman is 12 - 16.

Keep up the good work .. hope your thyroid problems get sorted out.

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 15:01

BF:

Oops, yes it's a typo error Doreen, however my Hemoglobin says 137?
The hematocrit was .42, what ever that means LOL
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 15:15
Forum Founder

BF:

LOL .. typo for me too Chrissy !

I was looking at my nursing text of lab values, and there are two columns .. one for USA measurements, and one for everywhere else in the world, which is SI units (Système Internationale) I copied from the wrong column. Duh!

Just add some zeros there .. so normal Hgb would be 120 to 160. Yers is perfecto

Hematocrit is the percentage of your blood that's made up of red blood cells. (Red blood cells carry the hemoglobin). In the US, it's actually expressed as a percentage, so normal for a woman is 36 to 46%. In SI units, they express it as a decimal, so normal is 0.36 to 0.46. Once again, yers is perfect.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 23:56

BF:

Thanks again Doreen for allllllll your help. I appreciate that you actually care about someone's health! This really makes me feel good when I know that these numbers are perfect! LOL
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 00:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 145/136/130
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Re: cholesterol and understanding it's numbers?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackie K.
...I don't really know what to do? And trying to understanding the numbers and their definitions for the HDL and LDL.
HDL=240
LDL=158
Triglycerides=91
Ratio for HDL=3.8
My blood pressure is always low ie. 100/70...

If in addition to LDL of 158 you have 2 or more risks factors (men 45 years or older, women 55 years or postmenopausal, hypertension, smoking, HDL<35, family history of CAD in first degree relative - male relatives younger than 55, female relatives younger than 65), then, according to AHA guidlines, you should follow a diet and lose weight (if overweight.)

For people without coronary risk factors the goal LDL is below 160.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 00:52

Plan: Body for life - with lo-carb option
Stats: 165/165/133
BF:43/43/23
Progress: 0%
Talking HDL of 1.7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm extremely chuffed by my cholesterol level of 5.3 but even more of my HDL of 1.7..my doctor was very impressed too.

Phoebe
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 11:53

Plan: Atkins- post pregnancy
Stats: 174/127/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Just wanted to chime in here, after 10 months LCing my total cholesterol count is 143. My 5 yr. old son just had his done today, no he is not LCing but his is 145. I couldn't believe my cholesterol is lower than my five yr. old's.

Later,
Heather
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 19:19
Registered Member

Plan: homemade Atkins
Stats: 224/219.8/150 Female 1.76 m
BF:Certainly!
Progress: 6%

Right,my GP sent me to the dietician and finally I was given some numbers today.My GP wasn't happy with my results and I didn't have a clue about the meaning of the numbers.Now it's like follows:
Total cholesterol 7.1
HDL= 1.2
LDL= 5.2 (this is bad I was told?)
TG(Triglyc.)= 1.5

Do I have to be really worried? Any more tips how to lower my 5.2 number? I was told to cut cheese,eggs and cream drastically,all the things I love but eat to much of? Which food supplements help to lower cholesterol? Any other ideas of what has worked for you and might work for me too?
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 19:48
Registered Member

Plan: Whey Protein & Skim Milk
Stats: 240/150/160 Male 66 inches
BF:No Thanks!
Progress: 113%

I just got my blood test
results last week with
my physical and they
were as follows:

LDL 66