Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 15:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/174/145 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Would anyone be interested in starting A LC ttc group?

I visit several other boards for ttc but have had alot of critisizm because Im on Atkins.. Id like a place I can post to others that are LC & ttc too.Ive had great support on these forums here & NO critisizm. I have PCOS & Atkins has restored my ovulation & regulated my cycles.The PCOS threads have been slow Id really like to get us a Group formed I relize there Soulcysters.com but Ive even got Critisizm there for ttc while Im LC.ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE???? Let me no & if theres enough of Us I'll try to contact A moderator or the Administrater to see if we can start us a Buddy group... Hope to here ++++ feedback soon...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 19:57

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%
Talking

Hi Melanie,
I am an LC'er and have been ttc since May 02. I have no official diagnosis - we have no idea why it is taking so long. We have 1 dd who is 6 1/2. I got pg w/ her ~ 19, after having semi-unprotected (i was on & off bc) intercourse for 3 years. When I got pg w/ her, I was doing a modified LC diet, just as I am doing now, but I had less weight to lose then also.
I am in w/ you if we can get a group started...or we can jus keep the thread going too

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 06:18

Stats: 215/184/130 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Melanie,

This is too weird! I responded to a post yesterday (I think you responded to the same post), and I thought to myself that there should be a TTC board here. First thing this morning, I was planning to post a poll about a ttc board, and the suggestion is already here!

I remember when went through my troubles fertility, I had no one to turn to, and virtually no support whatsoever. Finally, when I got pg with my SECOND child, after much struggle, I found some TTC boards over at Parents Place. But the website layout is no where near as organized as this website, and it is diffiuclt to follow the threads.

Still, it was good to find other women out there who were going through what I just went through.

Even though I have achieved my goal of having two beautiful children, infertility is not something one recovers from. It is part of who I am, and part of my life. I cannot look at my beautiful children and not think of the struggle it took to get them here. To forget would be almost to take them for granted.

Additionally, there are emotional and physical issues that linger due to what I had to endure.

So, I think it is a wonderful idea to have a ttc board, and although I am not on the quest at the moment, I would be a frequent visitor, and would be happy to share my experiences, and my knowledge of the various processes. Most importantly, I would be happy to lend support to all of the women who are struggling with this issue.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 10:49

BF:

Thank you Elizabeth!! We will look forward to your visits!!

Hysteria~~~Are you BBT charting?If so Id like Us to put our webchart Addys in our Signitures so we can easily have acsess to each others charts for advice ect ect...Fertility Friend .com has free web charting.I use that & Im a long term member of TCOYF & use there software.I have three Daughters ages 6,9&11 & my Hubby has 1 Daughter 9 & a Son somewhere out there age 6 were the brady bunch lolol Were trying for a boy & have been over 3 yrs I was completly Annov for 6 yrs tell starting this WOE.Ive ovulated 5 cycles now On my own I love this WOE it gave me back my hope..Do you have any Kids ?Welp I gotta go answer some more Posts I'll be back after Awhile..
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 10:51

BF:

DUH thats right you have a DD lolol!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 13:12

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Talking oh happy day!!!

Wow, and I came here to post a thread just like this! I think a ttc thread/support group is awesome. I haven't been diagnosed with any fertility issues (yet), but have received the same criticism of lc while ttc from other sites. The hardest part is waiting and waiting and waiting. Of course, we've only been ttc since October, but it sure feels like forever! I keep telling myself it's just that I'm 34 and not 19, that some months I haven't ovulated, or we missed the mark, or whatever.

By the way, I have had a weird experience lately: anyone have some insight? I had TOM on Feb. 1st, as was expected, but then it "kind of" showed up again on the 19th! I've NEVER had a short cycle before, have never had any infections or anything, and there wasn't any pain with it. It was light, with a little more on the 2nd day, but then nothing after that. Has anyone ever had anything like this? I don't want to get my hopes up, but a health nurse said there is a chance that if there IS a fertilized egg, that sometimes a woman can bleed when it implants. True?

Christy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 14:46

BF:

Thats very True !! I had Implant bleeding with all 3 Of my DDs its very light & last a few days.What Cycle day are you now?Try taking a HPT!! Glade to have you join us guess I wasnt the only one wanting A ttc group!lololWhen I first started Atkins I had been on the plan three weeks got My AF on my own first time in yrs 18 days latter I had another AF.How long have you been LC if it turns out your not Preg it could be just the effects of your body adjusting to LC. But Id bet my chances It was implantation bleeding.By an ANSWER early test or a Clearblue Early test they measure 15-25 mlg HCGMaybe we will have our first grad already!!!! I'll pray for you to see a BFP!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 19:48

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%
Smile

Hello,
Melanie - No, I do not bbt anymore. I did for 5 cycles since this journey started. DH got tired of the constant pressure. He felt like we were living our life by the beep of the thermometer...you know how it goes..."oh, I had my dip, we have to BD right NOW. " I was getting kind of lax about it anyhow, so it did not break my heart when we discussed giving up temping.
I am using opks - need to go out & get this months actually. I got +++ last month, so I guess we just missed the mark.
DH has not had a SA yet...actually, like I said above, nothing has been diagnosed yet. Honestly tho, I think my problems are stemming from 2 things:
1: My weight
2: In May, I came off of almost 6 years of bc useage.
I am glad you decided to start this thread. Although the other ttc sites I am on do not thumb their noses ~ LC'ing, no one understands either.

Christy - that certainly sounds like it could be implantation spotting! Please let us know what happens when you test

Beth
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:20

Plan: mix of Atkins/Carb Addict
Stats: 188/185/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Smile thanks for the support guys!

Thanks guys, your good thoughts make me feel positive about a "maybe".

I can't test until next week, and the health nurse told me to test again closer to the 20th if I get a negative result the first time. I'm still trying to not get our hopes up too high; because I REALLY want this and because the 2nd day was definitely more than "spotting". But my DH discussed this with a guy he coaches with...
(thanks, dear )
... and his wife had a "period" with every pregancy she's had (3). So, I'm finding the days really really REALLY slow. I feel a bit obsessive-compulsive about it. Keep wishing my luck and I'll post the results, either way, as soon as I get them!

Christy
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:49
Registered Member

Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Thumbs up Great idea!

I'd love to see a TTC forum on here. I feel like I can relate far more with what people are saying here on this LC board than I can on any of the TTC boards I've seen, so I'd be a lot more comfortable posting about those types of issues over here.

About me - I'm 30, DH is 23. We've been trying for exactly a year now with no luck. Every time I take an opk, it turns out negative, but I'm hoping that it's just because I was using some super cheap ones I bought online. I've had my thyroid checked and it's fine. When I had my yearly, the nurse practitioner said I didn't show any signs of PCOS and that I should assume that I'm ovulating since I'm regular. Ugh...don't know how true that is. Anyway, we've got our first appointment with the fertility clinic from our HMO in 2 weeks. Not sure if I should tell them I'm on Atkins or not....hmmm.

Anyway, great idea and you can count me in!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 13:18

BF:

Cristyann~~~Im praying you see a BFP!!!!Keep us updated!

Georgia~~~~You might want to try Charting you BBT because Ive seen woman who had normal cycles that were even Annov or Oed earlier or latter then they thought & had a Short LP. Go to www.fertilityfriend.com charting there is free & easy all you do is check your temp First thing upon arising using a BBT thermometor check your Cervical Mucus & your Cervical position for more info on the fam method click here www.webwomb.com Charting has made a huge differance for some woman that thought there weree infertile only to find out they just missed Ovulation.OPK dont work right unless you do them after 12:00pm & hold your urin 3 hrs & even them you can miss your surge charting is the best way to make sure your ovulating.Thats how I found out I was annov & had PCOS.Welcome aboard!!! Let me no if you have any ???'s

Me Im on Cycle day 13 waiting to O ive had O pains off & on all week My temps are flatlined a good indicator my hormones are leveled off just right It took along time for this WOE to help me but now im seeing the Added benifits of LC.

Georgia you can click on my link to my web charts if You wanna check out my charts start with # 1 & work your way through them & you can see that this WOE has made a huge differance for me..
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 18:27
Registered Member

Stats: 268.5/262/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Oh, guess I forgot to mention that I have been charting for most of the last year. I started right away when we decided that we wanted to get pg, but I've gotten fed up with it a couple of times and not charted that month. My charts have always been really wierd and are the main reason that I don't feel like I've been ovulating despite what the nurse practitioner said. They get very zig-zaggy. Before LC, they never seemed normal and only 2 or 3 times did the software say that it thought I o'd. Since LC, they look to be calming down and not zigging so much, but then just as I think it may be fixing itself, this last week has been up and down and up and down! Ugh. I plan on taking all my charts to the fertility clinic and letting them take a look at them....the nurse that did my yearly a few weeks ago wouldn't look at them....said she wasn't authorized to make any diagnosis about fertility. So much red tape in an HMO I guess.

Oh well, only 2 weeks til the appointment, though that's just a class before the actual eams start. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to take any meds to help this along, but I really would like to know *what* the problem is. Maybe it's just timing, but I tend to think it's all those big fat cells making way too much estrogen.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 08:35

Stats: 222/185/150
BF:
Progress: 51%
Thumbs up LC ttc group GREAT Idea

Greetings all - LOVE the idea of a ttc group, that is exactly what I am looking for
I am 35 and have been married 4 years and we are trying to have a baby, and you can imagine how that has been. Have gone through 2 six month rounds of clomiphene/dexameth and have been on glucophage for 2 years. My gyno keeps saying he is sure I will get pregnant... but I haven't detected ovulation at any point.
So, due to other health concerns, something just clicked and I decided that I needed to "do Atkins". And it has been so natural - it just feels right for me, and my dr is ok with it so hoping that LCing will be the key.
I have lost 16 pounds in the last 3 1/2 weeks and much more in inches.
Your replies and posts have been assurring that I am not the only one out there - and that everyone has different experiences, successes and challenges. I definitely support this group and looking forward to sharing and supporting
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 12:29

Stats: 211.5/200.5/140
BF:
Progress: 15%
Thumbs up

What a great thread!!!!

I am 34, DH is 37. I was diagnosed with PCOS a year ago. I am on Metformin and I was on Clomid for about 6 mths. Took my last dose in Dec. I bought the ClearPlan Easy Fertility Monitor back in Sept. I actually am at peak level which means I should be ovulating within 24 hours.

I desperatly want to have a baby. I truely feel like something is missing in my life. Started Atkins about 3 weeks ago, I know I have to lose some weight to help me to concieve.

I am really glad to see other people going thru what I am going thru. I look forward to meeting you all and sharing our stories.

Amy
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 198.5/185/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default yes yes yes!!!!

I would be interested as well. I am 31, DH is 32, married 6 years, ttc for almost 5 years. Tried 4 cycles of clomid, dx of pcos last year. started to seriously start lo carbing last month. stopped seeing my RE to try and get my weight and insulin down with diet change and without medications. I would love if I could learn more and ahve a support system for those who are in my situation. I just started to have periods on a somewhat regular cycle now. Before I would have a period that never stopped (3 weeks on and one week off).