Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 05:35

Plan: schwartzbien
Stats: 293/278/230 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins failure,SP advice PLEASE

After 3 weeks on atkins inductions I gained 10 lbs and glucose reading were in 150/160 range daily! Up untill then I knew about ,yet never applied SP. It makes great sense. I am sure that I would fit a insulin resistent and almost poor adrenall gland profile. I a diabetic type 2 but have managed to keep sugar readings ( with doctor perscribed Glucophage) lower and exercise 4 times a week.
Has anyone had a similar reaction with higher saturated fat / low carb Atkins diet. It obviously doesn't work with my biochemistry.
Please, any support, comments are very appreciated!.
Phil
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 09:32

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just out of curiousity, I would looooove to see what your menu was like, etc. It just isn't in my PERSONAL experience that somebody would have that reaction, altho if it can happen with other plans of course it could happen with Atkins as well. The detective in me wants to do a bit of snooping and analyzing

I sure hope Schwarzbein works for you
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-04, 11:35

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

pgreen, have you read SPII? In that book she explains why some people can't handle saturated fats. I gave my copy to a friend so I can't give you any details about it. I'm not familiar with Atkins. Is the point that you eat high sat. fat because this is supposed to be your energy source? You said you are insulin resistant and you think your adrenals are not functioning properly. If this is the case (exhausted adrenals), then your body isn't burning your energy properly, and you are most likely storing those fats, not burning. I can't relate to your glucose readings, but I did gain lots of weight after reading SP. I am definitely insulin sensitive, but my adrenals seem compromised. I read SPII, which gave me a clearer picture of my issues and implemented the changes. My main change was to take out most of the saturated fats and use predominantly fats like olive oil, flax and fish oils. I started getting my energy back after doing this and also began to slowly lose weight. Eating 5 smaller meals is also important. Schwarzbein is about finding the balance that works for you. I think it would be worthwhile for you to read what she says about saturated fats in her second book, make some changes and see how you feel. Unfortunately if you do have a problem with your adrenal glands, it may take some time before you feel a really big difference.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 05:20

Plan: schwartzbien
Stats: 293/278/230 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

thanks for the feedback. I am going to go to SP2;her entire diet profile makes brilliant sense. I just think that I have followed her plan prior to Atkins and 3 weeks of Atkins just threw a wrench into my metabolism.
This board has given me a lifetime. Thanks again

Phil
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-30-04, 15:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I did Atkins a couple of times in the distant past and everything worked just fine. However, now that I'm older than dirt I didn't lose much weight on it and cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. went up. It also made me feel pretty bad, so SPII seems to be the best approach for me.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 08:41
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:
Default Atkins has neer worked for me either

After the initial water loss, Atkins has never worked for me either.
When your hormones are REALLY burned out you have to watch
calories as well as carbs. I didn't really go crazy with the butter,
but I found tuna salad with mayo was convenient to take to
class with me most days. And if it wasn't tuna salad it
was chicken salad or beef salad. (BTW that beef salad
is the only thing I ever fixed out of the Frugal Gormet
cookbook that I liked, and it works on Schwartzbein. It has
capers and coddled eggs - good for leftover beef roast).
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 15:09
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

The increased protein on Atkins gives me heart palpatations.

I also cannot tolerate the high saturated fats. I've discovered I need the moderate mono/poly fats SB recommends and it keeps my blood sugar much more stable. Even with increased sugar and caffeine consumption over the holidays, sticking to her principles and portions (and not exerciseing either) I only put on 3 lb over my posted weight. 1 week back on track and 2 are gone.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: A True Miracle, Rosedale
Stats: 185/185/132 Female 63 inches
BF:

When you say you cannot tolerate saturated fats, what do you mean? Do you get sick, or is it that profile on your blood tests isn't good? I am afraid I'm not very regular about going to the DR, but when I do, heart disease is seldom mentioned because I have a lower blood pressure and a pretty low heart rate. The only time I did get it done, the numbers were on the normal range - But I was over-exercising at the time. Don't know if the adrenal burnout would have affected the numbers adversely or favorably. I believe someone else on here had an adverse effect from adrenal burnout. or Cortisol imbalance would be more specificlly the problem. Donna