Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-16, 08:39

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

This seems like an opportune time for me to step in with a plug for becoming a Contributing Member of this site. Website hosting isn't free, and (as far as I know) the Founders and Mods are mostly volunteers.

If you enjoy the support and information provided here, please consider signing up at a modest annual amount. An additional benefit to you: NO PESKY ADVERTISING.

Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-16, 11:32

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Great reminder. I'm in!
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-16, 19:00

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Is Oprah selling the same old weight loss promise?

I already was feeling skeptical, but then she told us that "Inside every overweight woman is a woman she knows she can be."

Oprah: You already are the woman you know you can be. How could you be any more Oprah than you already are? If you think your inside woman needs to be wearing a size 4 to be relevant, then what the heck is my inside woman supposed to think?

Weight loss needs to be about health and what makes us happy, not about size and pounds and appearance.

In the end, Oprah's message is sounding just like all the others making millions selling weight loss promises -- that the good life must wait until you've reached your weight loss goal, and that you don't matter until you're an acceptable size.

Add in the extreme twist that Oprah hasn't mastered losing weight and keeping it off, and my determination gets shaky.http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area...ht-loss-promise

She makes a good point.

Quote:
Weight Watchers Gets Pounded

The road ahead for Weight Watchers and Oprah Winfrey may be an even tougher trek than everyone realized. The stock price has fallen 46 percent only 21 days into the new year. Sure, markets are a mess, with the overwhelming majority of the S&P 500 Index in the red right now. But most stocks down as much as Weight Watchers are in the energy sector, where severe losses are to be expected given falling oil prices.

Shares of Weight Watchers got a boost at the end of last year because she took a stake and became the face of the company. But that excitement is fading.

That's not a bucket the $800 million company should be in just as it embarks on a mission to revitalize its brand, with help from Oprah. Her partnership took its shares from less than $7 apiece in October to over $26. But on Thursday, they were back down to $12.38 in early trading. http://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...veals-its-flaws
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Jan-22-16, 17:39

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I just saw the ad again and noticed that Oprah speaks slowly and haltingly, like she's suffering from carb-induced brain fog.
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 09:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
This seems like an opportune time for me to step in with a plug for becoming a Contributing Member of this site. Website hosting isn't free, and (as far as I know) the Founders and Mods are mostly volunteers.

If you enjoy the support and information provided here, please consider signing up at a modest annual amount. An additional benefit to you: NO PESKY ADVERTISING.

Thanks for listening.

Seconded. I am a happy member, too.
  #96   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 17:39

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Oprah, Call Melissa McCarthy Low carb, gave up bread and pasta. Does Pilates now.

http://www.examiner.com/article/mel...hted-own-design

She's still at it? That's good news. I look forward to seeing her continue. She's so pretty.
  #97   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-16, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I suspect, and this is just a guess, WW meetings must pay rent and salaries so they have to charge to cover the costs.

Why people go to meetings, instead of being on free forums, may have to do with needing the face-to-face encouragement. For some, writing of any kind is a chore but talking is pure pleasure. So they go to talk and share their issues and get immediate answers to questions.

My problem with the WW meetings was that they were run by successful WW's. The mantra was "If I can do it, you can do it." As a result, most could never deviate from the plan when giving advice. They had no answers for those who followed the plan strictly (me) but did not lose. It was not till I read Protein Power (and lost) that I discovered we all had different metabolisms and food type was as important, if not more important, than calories. WW then and now must follow the Dietary Guidelines which is low fat. For some of us, that just doesn't work.

I hope it works for Oprah.

My leader was relatively thing but not terribly inspiring. She was too rigid, as well. She never could tell me why if half a banana was okay and two tbsp of pb was okay, why can't I have a pb/banana snack. If the answer is combination of foods, then say so. Don't just give me the "because it's not on plan" answer. I was really young and had only been about 20 lbs. over weight for a few years and I did pretty well on it. My trouble came when their maintenance plan kept telling me to add foods that I really was happy not eating, until I gained. The floodgates then opened. You would think that with their method of identifying trigger foods, they would know better.

People really are willing to pay for face to face support. Those of us in large cities have repeatedly talked about LC get-togethers from the forums. It was really a recurring theme on alt.support.diets.lc, or whatever the old usenet group was called.
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-16, 06:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That photo of Melissa McCarthy was at the Golden Globes last week.

LCHF support groups are gaining popularity...a number of doctors have come to visit Dr Westman/local support group. Dr Sarah Hallberg in IN visited our local group before her TEDTalk, now she hosts one in Lafayette. Dr C. In Charleston WV, not far from DC has a huge turn-out. http://tworiverstreads.com/simple-food-rules/
Another Duke MD in Myrtle Beach. Dr. Gerber in Denver. There are many more obesity clinics going through the ASBP training program and support groups are suggested. If you can't find one in Houston, start one.
Meet-Up is another way to find LC and Paleo support groups.
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-16, 09:27

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
At one time they were paying low or no rent because they persuaded members to host meetings at churches and businesses. Our church ended one such association because they wouldn't pay market rate for renting the facility, and we found it offensive that on their web site they presented this practice as a feature to benefit shareholders. We as a church decided we were open to such deals for non-profits but not to profit-making enterprises.

It is a choice for them what they follow. The original plan was carb restricted along the lines of Lutz. Low fat came later. Their program has been designed and tested such that if it works for some, enough to make money, and avoiding any taint of not following govt guidelines, then that's ok, never mind who it doesn't work for. IN the 80s it actually made metabolic syndrome worse from the low fat approach.

Additionally., in-person free groups are not something that don't happen - except in weight loss. Almost every church has twelve step programs (AA, NA, etc.) where members pitch in a few bucks for the cost of the room if the church isn't donating it, but TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly) is a rare bird even though it's free and operates the same way. People just feel compelled to pay for support for some reason.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 16:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Today's update, Lost 26 pounds and eats bread everyday...big deal.
Got to watch this new ad

http://www.businessinsider.com/opra...watchers-2016-1

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-27-16 at 06:27.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-16, 16:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Back where I come from, we have a term for a shill who also has a vested interest: BS artist. Nobody does it better.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 08:25
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Got to watch this new ad

On yeah, just read about this. Some say she is manipulating stock price and deserves jail time. 😱
As long as she keeps doing it that way with her daily bread,, she will remain the yoyo she's always been.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 08:47

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
That photo of Melissa McCarthy was at the Golden Globes last week.

Wow, look at the difference in her face!
I wish there was a LC support group here, but I live in the sticks
-not likely to happen any time soon.

I find it strange Oprah points out she eats bread everyday.. anyone else?
Almost like that makes her new plan superior or something..?
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 09:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFreeMe
I find it strange Oprah points out she eats bread everyday.. anyone else?
Almost like that makes her new plan superior or something..?

It's just marketing and promotion .. no doubt it's "WW brand" bread products that she's chowing down
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-16, 10:03

Quote:
Got to watch this new ad

That's to bring in the "I hate to cook" crowd. They can still have sandwiches.