Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 13:07

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Whey shakes/bars

Hi there,
I've been reading that whey is a good post-exercise thing. Right now I'm exercising every morning on an empty stomach (which I think is doing wonders for me ) but I'm not finding what to do for breakfast, as the exercise makes me feel pretty full (and tight abs too). I was thinking a whey based shake or bar might be a great way to do breakfast (or later in the morning like around 10 a.m.) Anyone know of any that are good and low in carbs that you can order online?

Thanks,
Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 15:02

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hiya! I also use whey protein and I'm doing AM cardio, too. There's a thread under General Exercise (Am cardio challenge) where a bunch of us are getting together to gripe - I mean, encourage each other. Drop by and join in!

Right now, I have a huge ol tub I got at the gym. I know at Netrition, you can read the side panel on all of the products, so you can check carbs and protein grams per scoop for each product. I have used EAS whey before and liked it. I only grabbed the gym stuff because it was there and I was out.

My breakfast right now is a 4-scoop shake with fiber powder, glutamine and several oz of heavy cream added in. It's portable and yummy!

Cheers,

Friday
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: ProteinPower/Body-for-Life
Stats: 215/181.5/130
BF:47%/38%/18%
Progress: 39%
Default Post Workout Whey

Hi!

I am currently doing Body-for-Life. As recommended by the BFL book, I workout on an empty stomach in the morning, then I follow my weight-training workouts with a Myoplex Low Carb Ready-to-Drink chocolate shake. They make several flavors, but I only drink the chocolate... They are DEEEELICIOUS!

I use the ready-to-drink shakes because they are easy and convenient: just get it out of the fridge and pop the top off and drink. No blender. No shaker. No clean-up. Also, the texture is creamy and smooth and perfectly homogenized. I prefer the texture to powdered shakes.

The drinks contain 3.5g of carbs and 20g of protein, from ion-exchanged whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate and calcium caseinate. I don't know, exactly, what this means but my trainer tells me it's good. It also contains fructooligosaccharides, which my trainer also says is good.

More info here: Fructooligosaccharides

You can get the details on the drink here: EAS

But don't even look at those prices! You can get them for half as much at other sites on the web:

Vitaglo

EAS Discount

Netrition

GNC also sells these products. You might want to buy a couple, see how you like the taste. See how they affect your body, etc.

EAS also makes a yummy low carb Cookies n' Cream bar. I use these for an afternoon snack. 29g protein (from the same sources as the shake), 3g carbs. They also make the shakes in a powdered form, that you can make in the blender. Those contain 50g carbs (from the same sources as the ready-to-drink shake) and 9g carbs.

My good friend, who is also my personal trainer, recommended these products to me before I started the program. So, I'm partial to these because I trust his advice. I have also tried the NitroTech bars, 6g carbs/35g protein. The peanut and peanut butter ones are OUT OF THIS WORLD!

The bars all contain glycerine. Which I have read (in this forum) stalls people. I have not had that problem. But I am working out quite intensely with weights 3 days per week and with HIIT cardio 3 days per week. My carb count is higher than most low carbers, I think. I seem to be able to handle more "hidden carbs" as a result... Who knows? I've had great success. Your mileage may vary!

All of this stuff is (relatively speaking) somewhat expensive. I can handle the expense--no problem--because I used to (literally!) eat two pints of Ben and Jerry's a day and I dined out 4 - 5 times per week. So this is (actually) cheaper... This is what I use... There are cheaper alternatives. But I haven't found anything that tastes as good!

Good luck!
Trilbe
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-12-02, 17:47

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks so much for the responses, Friday and Trilbe! Looks like EAS is a winner.

Tam