Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 10:18

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Will this WOE make a difference???

For instance, I have been plagued w/ chin hairs since college. Then after the birth of my first child, I have far, far less hair (on my head! lol) than I did before.

Will it make a difference in those things? And if so, how long before I see a difference?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 11:04

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

It's all very individual and there's no way to predict how long it will take you to heal. However, LCing will make a difference to your PCOS and really help to ease your symptoms a lot. I think you should go to your library or book store and pick up a copy of the SchwartzBein Principle. This book is the best for PCOS'ers IMO because she emphasises health rather than weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/174/145 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Read my Success story & check out my web site link...Hope you too yhave the success I have had My prayers are with you!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 19:42

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

Scarlet Thanks for the information. I've never heard of SchwartzBein Principal. I will try to get a copy.

Melanie Thanks for sharing your story. It's very inspiring. Congratulations on all of your successes. Thankfully, the nightmare of ttc are behind us! ugh, that was so painful. Since the twins were born, I have only cycled once!! They are almost 15 months old. That has never happened to me before! My periods have always been fairly regular, although anovulatory. I hope that I see the same level of success that you have. I'm really wanting the hair back on my head and not on my face!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 18:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%
Default Scarlet

Thanks scarlet for letting me know about this website. I "met" you on soulcysters and you recommended it.

Piano
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-14-03, 20:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL
Progress: 13%

I am with you on wanting my hair back on my head...LOL I have never heard of this before I met a friend of mine with it...and I have heard that this is the best diet for it...so here id HOPING!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 16:43

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Hi Piano

I thought you sounded familiar!! Well, at least you know my advice is consistent. I love schwartzbein!!!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 10:33

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

I've had PCOS since about the age of 14 or 15. I was extremely obese even then. In the time between age 14-18 I probably got my period maybe 4-5 times and that was mostly when I was on BC. Last summer I went on a low-fat/low cal diet and lost about 60lbs before I quit because the restrictions were too much. After going off the diet I started getting my period every month, but while on the diet I never once had it. I guess all the exercise (1.5-2.5 hours per day) and calorie restriction (1200-1500/day) kept me from getting it even though I'd lost weight. When I started eating "real food" again I finally got my period.
Now the hirsutism never did clear up all that much during my low-fat/low-cal diet. I started Atkins about 2 weeks ago and already I've seen a significant improvement in how fast the hair grows back (I used to have to shave everyday, not because I grew a manly beard or anything, but because I was self-conscious lol). Now I shave usually every other day (still a lot, but that's a 50% decrease for me). I hope to see an endocronologist soon. It's just a matter of finding one who's close to where I live and who accepts my insurance (my old car can't take distances so well lol). Another thing that helped was drinking all my water while on Atkins. I generally drink 5-8 glasses of water and maybe a glass or two of seltzer.
If you're not doing Atkins or any other LC diet yet, try one. It will not only help with your PCOS, but it gives you motivation to see a doctor about your problem with hirsutism. When you start healing one part of your life it snowballs into healing all the other parts of your life that you've wanted to change for a long time.

Good Luck!