Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 11:32
Registered Member

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 248/212.8/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 48%

Day 5 here...and i am getting so discouraged..ive only moved from 238.4 to 237.4 in 5 days. I just dont understand the slow weight loss.. Usually regardless of what diet it is, I lose on average 7 pounds in the first week and granted its water weight but at least its encouraging... to see such a low # makes me feel like my efforts are for nothing :'(
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 12:33
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdamess
Who is it here that says?
Consistency + Time = Success
CMCM (Carole) has had that on her signature line as long as I've known her!
Quote:
You can ABOLUTELY change your life for the better. I realized very early on, as the benefits of weight loss and quality diet manifested themselves, that I was not LIVING before at all.

The bad news is that YOU are the only person who can improve your health and life.
The good news is that YOU, and no one else, CAN improve your health and life. You have that power.
I agree 100%!

Remember it's Stay OP (On Plan) 100% today and let tomorrow take care of itself!

I'm exactly like Pam, a carb is a carb is a carb to me, NET or otherwise. So I count every blessed single one!

We just have to find what works for us, what we are willing to sacrifice (food-wise) both in losing the weight and in maintenance!

Wishing you much success on your journey to a Healthier YOU!
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 12:34
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthardy
Day 5 here...and i am getting so discouraged..ive only moved from 238.4 to 237.4 in 5 days. I just dont understand the slow weight loss.. Usually regardless of what diet it is, I lose on average 7 pounds in the first week and granted its water weight but at least its encouraging... to see such a low # makes me feel like my efforts are for nothing :'(
Don't let it discourage you... maybe post what you are eating and those following your LC WOE can help spot anything that maybe an issue in preventing your weight loss??
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 12:43
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Jess said it all ~ and perfectly.

The only thing I can add is that how our bodies work is a mystery, and every BODY is different. LC isn't really one-size-fits-all. Commit and study and use the rules as a structure inside which you find what works for you.

One last thing: Statistics show that weight loss for men is 1 Million times easier than weight loss for women, so please don't compare your pounds lost with that of others, especially of the male persuasion.

We're with you!
g
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 12:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi and welcome.

First off - it's a bummer that the weight doesn't just fall off you, but you have the cards stacked against you, unfortunately. You are insulin-resistant and likely have PCOS. You can't fix years and years of screwed-up hormones in 5 days. Have you seen a doctor for it? I think someone already mentioned that Metformin could be a good option for you.

My hormones were a mess when I started. I had something resembling PCOS triggered by depo-provera. Likewise with me, the weight didn't just magically fall off me - but reining in my appetite (or should I call it sugar addiction?) was the most critical factor for me, I think. I remember the taste of real scrambled eggs cooked in butter, and it was a massive a-ha time for me. "So I can eat real fat and protein, be full, and I'm not going to blow up like a balloon? Sweet."

If you're getting down about it, maybe you're not enjoying your food enough, or maybe not getting enough of it. It shouldn't seem like a colossal effort. Fact: gluten binds with your opioid receptors. You are addicted. And if you feel sad and deprived, it's likely the addiction talking. This is a huge reason why I advocate eating to fullness, as long as you're keeping the carbs below 20, at least at first. It's why Dr Atkins and other docs wrote their plans that way. Get yourself over the physiological and emotional factors first, then start mucking around with micro-managing numbers. Compliance trumps everything. Do what you have to do to stay compliant, at least at first. White-knuckling and being miserable with calorie-counting = failure, in my mind.

Best of luck finding something that works for you.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-10-16, 17:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

One more thought: I believe that you are doing low carb and low fat? That didn't work for me. I needed to add fat to my WOE in order to speed up the weight loss above a few ounces a month.

As I had lost 4 pounds in five YEARS doing moderate carb, low fat, I wasn't complaining, but I did want to get to goal before I hit 90, you know?

Adding fat had the advantage for me of significantly lessening my appetite. I eat a good, high fat breakfast, and really, I'm not hungry till dinnertime.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jan-11-16, 04:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have great advice from everyone, esp. Kristine's about hormones. Speaking of which, could they be factoring into your weight this week? But that is only short term, let's go back to to what you wrote on your post...

Quote:
i decided to search for natural solutions to hormone imbalances and diabetic issues and discovered that many Drs advocate Keto for not only weight loss but a reduction in blood sugar, cravings,IR, gluten intolerance and whaddaya know..even a decrease in excess hormone testosterone which is caused by...IR and elevated blood sugar.

How about tracking your symptoms this month? You should have a glucose meter, start taking blood sugar before and after meals to track improvements in general, and learn your reaction to specific foods. Like this:
http://chriskresser.com/how-to-prev...disease-for-16/
Note how strong your carb cravings were before starting, and how each day goes since. Emotional balance, skin conditions, any facial hair reduction, even hormone levels if you are working with a doctor...in other words track the reasons you wanted to do VLC.
Like this, or make your own, or write in the note section of tracking apps. http://drdavidludwig.com/wp-content...kers-Ludwig.pdf

You can note weight daily and create a moving average, but your health improvements should be your primary focus this month.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 01:54
Registered Member

BF:

well day 6 has come and gone...as per suggestion I have upp'd the cals to around 12-1300 ..I usually eat at 1000 a day..Reason being- I had 80% of my stomach removed which means i dont need to eat as much to be full.. Since starting i have noticed a drop in my cravings and hunger. I used to wake up ravenous and used to crave sugar like i was jonesing for a hit of sugar or bread.. I have been able to stay 100% on plan despite my discouragement.. I commited to a 31 low carb experiment and onto day 7 i go..
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 05:16

Great news that the sugar cravings have reduced. Notice any other symptom improvement the first week. You can also start a journal here to record progress. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 11:33
Registered Member

BF:

Well day 8 now and the scale wooshed yesterday. Startig weight at beginning of week was 239.8 and weight today is now 234.8 so its moving in the right direction. It actually has appeared to move on the days ive upped my calories and not watched my fat intake as much. Is there a reason why one must eat fat to lose fat on a low carb diet?
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 11:54

Great news! See, not to worry, especially about little day to day movement. They could mean nothing but a water weight shift, remember the four pounds "grey zone " of water. i mentioned averaging your daily weights if you can't give up the scale. There is a free app called Happy Scale to do it..or just use the pants method.

Though there are other ways to lose weight, the body works better eating some fat on a low carb diet.
A simple explanation from Dr Volek: http://www.examiner.com/article/nut...for-weight-loss

However, while you need to eat fat, you do not have to force some magic macro ratio to start. No one can tell how much fat is coming from their body stores.
A good article and graph here of fat loss over the four phases:
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/201...-force-the-fat/

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-13-16 at 13:56.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 09:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Congratulations! and what Janet said is true: I have yet to write down ratios. I am liberal with fats, but don't measure. The only thing I actually count is the carbs.

If I keep them below 20 net (whole food net carbs, not Atkins bars and that sort of garbage) and eat good proteins and plenty of fat, I lose.

The best part is that you'll find that your appetite shrinks. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks is now breakfast, occasional small snack (single) and dinner, with no hunger in between.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-16, 11:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hang in there, Pothardy, and keep reading books and staying on plan. Read some of the success stories on here and you will have hope. At the beginning, it can seem so daunting, but keep telling yourself "all I have is this one day to make choices" and then do it all over again tomorrow.
Planning properly, like having the right foods at home and/or work is super important for success. You can do it!!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 11:21
Registered Member

BF:

Well ive kind of lost track of how many days its been..i stopped counting and just decided to move forward no matter what. Im close to 2 weeks down.
Today my scale went down to 232.2 so thats good news..it keeps going down which is what i want.

Ive tried out a few new recipes. Made homemade keto vanilla ice cream..its delicious and at 4 net carbs for 1 cup...not bad. I eat only half a scoop though cause eating tons and tons of fat in the form of cream makes me have an almost gallbladder like attack- i say almost because i have no gallbladder and yet i still get attacks.

I also made Zucchini noodles the past 2 nights with prawns and 1/4 cup no sugar no gluten low carb alfredo..it was good☺

I have managed to fail 6 different bread recipes..namely the psyllium husk bread recipes floating around the net. It a shame cause i wanted somthing close to bread but at the same time..psyllium sits like a brick in my stomach so maybe its better not to anyway.

As far as changes go..i noticed that i dont crave carbs as much and i dont have an appetite. I dont eat as often as i used to. Its nice. The other night we had 2 friends over and it was a gong show. They ate in one sititng:

- 1/2 pizza each
- 2 cups pulled pork each
- 4 slices gluten free bread each
-1/2 bag of tater tots each
-2 psyllium wraps each(that i made at home)
-1/2 bottle of orange juice each
-1 whole can of sliced peaches each w/ 1/2 cup of non dairy whipped coconut milk

While they prepared and ate all that at our house..i made myself 9 cooked prawns with some crushed freshed garlic. For dessert i had 1.25 cups of thawed strawberries with 1/2 cup of homemade sugar free low carb whip cream and i could only eat half so my husband ate the other half.

At the end of the meal..my one friends stomach was sticking out like it was pregnent and he was complaining of feeling sick. This guy knows how to eat lots..whats crazy is that his Asian girlfriend can eat the same amount as him. The only difference is that he doesnt gain a pound but she does. Im terribly worried for her as they have only been together for less than a month and she is gaining weight.

My husband in comparison is 140 pounds soaking wet with a skinny build but tall. He can eat lots but not even close to how much they each ate. We were in shock. I mean the cost of groceries..because everything they eat has to be gluten and dairy free..its like woah! We only have one grocery store cause we live in a small town and we are limited to what we have available to us.

Its funny though..looking at them eat like that..reminded me of the time when i would sit down and eat 6 mcdonalds cheeseburgers and a large coke and fries in a sitting. Or how i would consume 1 litre of ice cream plus a large bag of ketchup chios and 6 chocolate bars. I used to be able to eat unlimmited quantities. Its how i got so large. I was a compulsive binge eater with a serious problem. I could eat and NEVER get full..it was like an anomally. My brain never registered info from my stomach that i was full. Its why i had weight loss surgery to remove 80% of my stomach. My stomach would overproduce the hunger hormone grehlin while underproducing the leptin hormone-which says your full. So when they removed 80% of my stomach..it included the grehlin secreting site in the stomach. Now only my hypothalmous in the brain sends hunger signals..so the signal isnt as strong.. It definitly worked in reducing my ability to eat a lot at one sitting so people ask "how do you gain weight then?" Well..its quite simple..take cookies crackers and chips..stick them in a blender and blend them up.. What kind of volume is left? You went from having a full blender to having a 1/4 full blender of powdered food. Its the same with the stomach..It grinds and chews and blends your food. Things that can easily be powdered and broken down quickly..reduce in volume in the stomach quickly so your not as full..but meat and veggies and fruit take a long time to process..so you stay full longer..

Im truly thankful for the surgery and i lost a lot along the way..but it wasnt easy..its not a quick fix..and you still have to deal with the reality of your choices.. Im just glad im getting back to making better choicesand im happy this low carb experiment is working so well..

PS- Still havent seen improvement in reductionof facial hair yet..
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 14:05

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

I had very tough insulin resisitance as a teenager, and hormone/PCOS issues as a 20-something, complete with facial hair. Sad to say, it doesn't ever 'reduce' and I've done a couple serious stints in low carb (years at a time, continuously tweaking, mostly recently restarting and sticking to it since the fall of 2014). Once that hair is there, it needs to be taken off via plucking, waxing or the such, or if looking for something permanent, laser or electrolsys. it doesn't reduce or go away. That has been my experience.

Sorry, don't mean to discourage you. You said you had the gastric surgery, and I'm sure you are on a ton of supplements, but I would point out that you especially want to be supplementing extra magnesium and Vitamin D. In larger amounts than you think you need. Magnesium helps you "go #2" which is problematic for many gastric patients, as well as a low carb issue. And it helps DRAMATICALLY with cravings for sugar and starch. Vitamin D, among many other benefits, gives me energy and improves mood which helps you stay positive and on track.

For myself, I am obese woman who has struggled with insulin resistance and hormone issues most of my life. My thyroid doesn't work either. I am gluten intolerant as well with several joint issues. Two other supplements I take are tumeric, to help reduce overall inflammation (and help with pain levels on my knees), and Vitex (chaste berry), which I find really helped align my female hormones, keep my cycles on track, and decrease PMS symptoms.

When it came to weight loss though - the single most factor that contributed thus far has been dumping dairy from my diet. Dairy can be insulinogenic, and this has been my experience. Once I cut it out of my diet I saw the scale start to move. There have been fits and spurts of course, but prior to that I couldn't seem to lose weight to 'save my life'.

If you do cut out dairy, because of the bypass be sure to eat other foods that are high in calcium and supplement as well. Chia seeds and unsweetened almond milk are two that I can think of off the top of my head which have high calcium counts but are dairy free.

Also, not to be a downer again, but some low carb followers really need to reign in artificial sweeteners as they cause cravings, and stall weight loss and many have a response akin to sugar when eating them. I quit soda myself about 7 years ago, moved to club soda. I do occasionally drink diet coke, but it is few and far between now.

I know it does seem strict, but these were the experiences that helped me.
Hope this info finds you well, and the very best of luck on your journey. We all know the struggle.

Last edited by msmum1977 : Fri, Jan-15-16 at 14:12.