Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 20:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/250/150
BF:UK
Progress: 15%
Default Avandia VS metformin/Glucophage

Does anyone know about the success rate of avandia vs glucophage to assist with PCOS symptoms and wt loss? I know someone who gained wt on avandia, but I do not know if that is all related to the avandia. I could ask my doctor to try me on glucophage, but I would like to see some info from you all before I ask. The reason he put me on the avandia is pretty bad insulin resistance, and he said the glucophage has a lot of GI system side effects. Thanks for your help,
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 20:29
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/froggirl hodgepodge of hope! lol
Stats: 180/158/120
BF:
Progress: 37%

metformin/glucophage is what worked for me. I am now able to be off my meds!!! It has been because of LCing!!! IT DOES have it's GI side effects..but the diarrea and gas were a small price to pay (mine were not what I call severe). Everyone I have spoken to had mild effects but nothing that really interfeared with normal life. The side effects are worst when aclamating to the medicine. (my doc raised my dose gradually...This seemed to work great!)

I have heard alot of negatives about Avandia. I know it works for alot of ppl....But why take something that will make you gain when that is a problem????

Good luck in your quest!!

Froggirl
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 21:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/250/150
BF:UK
Progress: 15%
Default HI!

Thank you! Someone finally answered me, I was about to give up, lol. I did, in a way... I called my doctor and I have been on glucophage for about 5 days now. The side effects are nothing I can not live with, especially if it will help me to lose this blasted wt. Thanks for your info about glucophage. Have a great night.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 21:24
Registered Member

BF:

Glucophage can be helpfull...I do not know what your blood sugar levels are...but LC'ing might help you get off the meds too!! I have heard of a BUNCH of ppl who have...Lets face it less pills are good! If you ever want/or need feed back from a lay person who has been there...please message me! Take care and good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 15:54

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 201/186/135
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Confused??

I just came back from my new doctor and she is putting me on avandia as well as my glucophage...is this normal? Did I misunderstand something?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 18:18
Registered Member

BF:

I think putting the two together is probably normal. I know people on Avandia that inject insulin...probably the same thought behind it. What are your fasting levels and normal range?

There are alot of doc who like to overdose and maybe hand out that stuff a little toooo easily. After the first couple of weeks if you do not feel well...MAKE SURE TO GO BACK! Hopefully your DR. already set up a three month check up.

Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 18:48

BF:

Thanks for the post, Froggirl!

I did new blood work today which should be back next week and I have an appointment with the doctor the following week, plus she is referring me out to a gyno endo so...I shall hope for the best. I may not start until I get my blood results back next week. As is typical with PCOS my blood work has been all over the chart. Hopefully, my new eating plan will help with the numbers some....

Also, I am nervous about the potential weight gain associated with Avandia. Anyone mixed these two and had good results?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 19:53
Registered Member

BF:

IF you need these medications...ask your endo for a glucose machine. The insurance companies have a deal with most so you get a free machine!! I think (opinion) if you are serious enough to need blood sugar medications...you should probably be monitoring your glucose!!! I was checking mine three times a day...It taught me a WHOLE lot about my body. I now am off all my meds...just thru monitoring, a little exersise, and LC'ing. Diabetes II is serious!

I will say in order to finally get my health under control, I had to be VERY PRO ACTIVE. Just because they are a MD does NOT mean they know more about your body than you do. Testing glucose every few months really doesn't show you the fluctuations you are expieriencing. Not to mention with a tool right there in front of you...it's instant gratification or a good scolding. (haha) Just ask for one, you'll probably get it. Hopefully you have insurance. The test strips are VERY expensive! I get 100 a month. I pay $20.00 but the strips are $80.00!

Good luck and let me know how you are doing!! I hope I do not sound "preachy". I have alot of diabetics in my family. PCOS is terrible...but if you keep on that track you get BLINDNESS, LOSS OF FEELING IN LIMBS, HEART TROUBLE, SUGAR COMAS< AND A MILLION OTHER NOT SO NICE THINGS!

Make sure and talk to your DR about the side effects also. The first couple of weeks on glucophage ask to gradually increase your dose. You can have some nasty side effects..Painfull gas and other intestinal difficulties.. Don't worry just read up on it alot of it is very normal to start off! It does go away.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 20:02

BF:

Don't worry about sounding to preachy, Froggirl. I am right there with you and I certainly do not believe that the MD or ND are god-like figures..if they were they would have diagnosed my problem years ago when it first started and I said something is WRONG, but no they are just humans. I am really learning as much as possible about PCOS and try to read a ton of info. As for the glucophage I am at 2000 a day as a precaution...that is what is so confusing about the addition of the Avandia...I am not a diabetic...at least not yet...it does run in my family as well which is why I have been so persistent in trying to figure out what is wrong with my body...the doctor today stated it is like the body is at war with itself and it is so confused it doesn't know how to make the right choice but, she feels that all of my actions should lead to a better quality of health. She wants to see me often and track my progress with the new food plan as well as the meds...this is why I am hesistant to start the second med before the test results are back. Even though it has only been a couple of weeks I believe ( hope ) that the results will show some changes in my blood levels. My dad has one of those nifty machines to monitor his levels..next time I am there I shall check it out...good idea...thanks for your response today...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 21:47
Registered Member

BF:

#11   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 22:35

BF:

Thanks for the information...hmmm, I will definitely wait until today's tests come back and perhaps after the endo apppointment...I already hate taking the glucophage and would love to be medication free....the doctor agrees with my plan to be medication free if we can get my system under control with the food and exercise plan....just another reason to stay focused on the big goal of long term health versus the simple, I want to be thin again goal.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 23:12
Registered Member

BF:

Cheering for ya!