Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-18, 14:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Keto Craze is hitting mainstream

Algae? Powders? Fat Cookie products? Nothing about eating real foods !!
But this CNN article belongs in media anyway.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/17/ne...rend/index.html

Quote:
Keto is blowing up. The ketogenic diet is a strict regimen of low-carb, high-fat foods that forces the body into a state of ketosis — when you burn fat, instead of carbohydrates, for energy.

With the help of social media and word of mouth, demand for keto-friendly products have gone through the roof. Like Whole30, where dieters cut out sugar, grains, dairy and legumes for 30 days, and paleo, modeled after eating habits in the paleolithic era, keto has become trendy.

But interest in keto has far outpaced interest in other fad diets. A Google Trends chart over the past year shows searches for "keto" have dwarfed searches for "paleo" "Whole 30" and "intermittent fasting."

On Instagram, dieters share their progress. Accounts with tens of thousands of followers show before and after weight loss photos and snaps of keto-friendly meals. Often, users put their weight loss in their bios. "Probably our first six months of sales were through people talking about us on Instagram," said Brian Hemmert, chief marketing officer for Fat Snax, which sells low-carb, high-fat cookies and matcha tea blends.

Article continues at link above
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-18, 17:18

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Oh dear....

I guess a diet can only be "main-stream" once somebody has figured out a way to make money off it.

And when all the idiots who decide to start eating a "processed-foods version of keto" wind up getting sick because they're not getting the nutrients they need, they'll blame it on their (pseudo) keto diet. :rollryes:
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-18, 18:10

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

I'm afraid I'm stuck on "demand for keto-friendly products have gone through the roof."
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-18, 20:06

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey Google, "keto" is easier to spell than "intermittent"
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 08:12

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Well, we knew that the gap in low carb keto-friendly food would be filled quickly. These food manufacturers aren't about to go out of business. They really only want to sell stuff that people will eat. They'll also claim their new products are wicked healthy. Whole foods are merely competition for their products. Can't have that. People crave convenient choices in this multitasking society. Sounds like I'm a candidate for an advertising position.

Seriously, the Food manufacturers simply surf the waves of new trends. Their only interest is selling foodstuffs. They hardly establish dietary policy, but they will defend it once they've committed to product lines. Grass roots thinking forms new trends that the government, medical establishment, and food manufacturers will eventually follow.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Tue, Sep-18-18 at 08:19.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 09:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

There will always be commercial interests trying to take advantage of any new dietary "fad". Luckily there will also always be single ingredient foods available for those of us who aren't interested in furthering the aims of large commercial food producers.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 11:02

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Luckily there will also always be single ingredient foods available for those of us who aren't interested in furthering the aims of large commercial food producers.

Well, we can HOPE so but I certainly wouldn't totally count on it! I'm sure that 100 years ago no one would have believed that it could become almost impossible to buy milk that hadn't been "homogenized."

Get a large enough percentage of people buying only "pre-prepped" foods and single ingredient raw foods will disappear from grocery shelves!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 11:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Well, we can HOPE so but I certainly wouldn't totally count on it! I'm sure that 100 years ago no one would have believed that it could become almost impossible to buy milk that hadn't been "homogenized."

Get a large enough percentage of people buying only "pre-prepped" foods and single ingredient raw foods will disappear from grocery shelves!

I guess my skepticism hasn't reached that level yet. Maybe it's because I live in Vermont where local produce and meats are easily available but who knows what the future will hold? I certainly hope that you're not right.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 11:56

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here in Texas, beef is outrageously cheap so I'm happy for that!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 12:09

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Vermont-- love Vermont. About the only state that promotes and supports agricultural endevors. YEAH!!

We are at risk of everything becoming pre-prepped, but I heard this morning more people are eating at home and cooking, and depending on those pre-prepped items. Maybe this is a win -win.

Are these people learning to cook or just saving time? Which ever,the radio peice said more people are eating at home than eating out and continued with the effect on the restaurant business.
The shelves in my local grocery have doubled maybe tripled the space for pre-chopped vegies. Personally, I save money by chopping my own...but I sure like to wish...

More dairy farms are offering raw milk. The local dairy cannot make raw available until they decrease the number in their herd.
Organic sections of traditional groceries is growing. Farmers Markets are on the rise here.

We can fight for good food choices by supporting CSA's, farmers markets, and shopping the "outside" aisles of the grocery stores. And to buy organic and grass fed whenever possible.