Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-11, 22:51

Plan: HCG,Atkins
Stats: 210.8/194.4/145 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:56%
Progress: 25%
Default *Waves* and Saying Hello!

Hello everyone!

My name in Michelle. I am a member of Spark and got a article thru my email this morning. I read the article and then began reading the comments posted by Spark members. I read a comment from a member who claimed she eats low carb and had lost 100lbs in a year. She also went on to say her plan was outlined in Gary Taubes new book "Why We Get Fat" Needless to say, I downloaded it on Kindle for PC off Amazon and read all the book today! It all made perfectly good sense with the studies and research to back up what Mr. Taubes said. I am a RN and can APPRECIATE that someone has the courage to say what I have been saying for years about Geriatric Diabetic patients! I happen to stumble upon the forum today after searching for further information about Ketosis side effects.

I have tried the low~fat, high carb diet and nutritarian diet and find that I am starved to DEATH with these! Which in turn, made me go off the diets or cheat frequetly. I am addicted to sugar and find ways to have dessert almost everynight or something sweet several times a day. Now bread or pasta..I can take it or leave it. I stopped exercising at the end of September after completing my first 5k.. I know, I know...I just didn't have the energy to keep up with my workouts and stopped due to seasonal health reasons. I plan to pick back up in a few days. I PROMISE!

I am looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone and set up a great support system for this food lifestyle change!

Shell
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 13:08

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Hi Shell!
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see that you've taken time to do some research and really understand how the low carb WOE works.

If you're addicted to sugar, you're in for a couple of really tough days while you cleanse yourself of all that... but hang in there, because once you get past it you will feel amazing!

I am not familiar with Gary Taubes eating plan. Would you mind posting a sample? I follow Atkins. Is it similar?

See you around the forum!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclouds
I am not familiar with Gary Taubes eating plan. Would you mind posting a sample? I follow Atkins. Is it similar?

See you around the forum!

Thank you very much pinkclouds!

A summary of Gary Taubes diet per his book "Why We Get Fat"

Carbs less than 20/day

Food that must be ate every day...
~2C salad greens all varieties
~1C of vegetables minus starchy ones of corn, potatoes, carrots
~2C of boullion or 1-11/2 tsp of salt for sodium replacement

Limited quanities per day..
~Cheese soft and hard minus processed up to 4oz
~Cream..heavy, light or sour cream up to 4T
~Mayo up to 4T
~Olives 6 whole, green/black
~Avacado 1/2 fruit
~Lemon/Lime up to 4T
~Soy up to 4T
~Fats, oils, butter, salad dressings that 1-2 carb gram only
~3C of coffee or tea

Primary restrictions
~No sugars and all that implies
~No starches
~No fruit, fruit juices, milk, yogurt, canned soups, dairy subs, ketchup, sweet condiments, no half and half
~No margarines.
~No alcohol at first

Unlimited water and may use artifial sweetners
There was no mention about nuts and seeds anywhere in his book.

Hope this helps you understand what I am doing

Shell
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 14:42

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Thanks Shell! This sounds very similar to Atkins...although he does address nuts/seeds and legumes. You might want to check out his book "Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution."

I think you are going to like low carbing once you get used to it. There is no starving feeling! Infact sometimes, you aren't hungry at all and might forget to eat! Isn't that crazy??
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-05-11, 14:54

Oh no not crazy, I hear ya on the no hunger feeling. I almost really didn't want to eat lunch because of the satisfying breakfast.

I want to say I have read Dr. Atkins but, it has been about 9 years ago..I have CRS sometimes. LOL I did read the breakdown of all the diets on the home page of this site. Very informative. I see where my diet and Atkins if similiar. I will find a copy and read from front to back. I'm a info nut and want to know exactly what I get myself into but, I think I will like this WOE

Last edited by Shell1370 : Wed, Jan-05-11 at 14:55. Reason: mispelling