Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 04:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Too restrictive?

Hi guys,

I recently started a candida diet which is pretty much Atkins induction with almost no vegetables (I became intolerant to many). It worked well for a while, but now I seem to be getting worse, not better. Do you think I should add more veggies back in? Less fish? I donno
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 06:44
Registered Member

Plan: Hagglund, Yeast Connctn
Stats: 125/108/115 Female 5'5'
BF:
Progress: 170%

I don't understand your diet. My candida diet is almost all vegetables: 80 percent veggies, 20 percent meat. Your diet sounds dangerous. Also, I can't eat fish anymore (I used to eat a lot) because I tested too high for metal toxicity. Metal toxicity symptoms overlap with candida's.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 08:07

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%

You will get alot of info- and it may make your head spin-as it does mine-I follow as close to the atkins induction as possible-the candida diet is too strict for me-i don't have food, milk, etc. intolerance (other than bell peppers). but I eat no added sugar other than what is in veggies, or splenda ( and very little), i have not had fruit for over 2 wks now and i miss it...but i went through a worse before it gets better kinda thing and i think they call it die-off...guess it depends...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 09:05

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

One thing I just read (Yeast Connection by Dr. Crook) is the need for some people to rotate foods so that they don't become sensitive to any one thing. They showed a graft for day 1-5 with 5 different meats, fruit, grains, and veggies. Quote "If you're eating the same food every day, you may develop an intolerance or allergy to that food." It's suggested to eat a food once every 4-7 days.-Gail
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-10-05, 09:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default good book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailew
One thing I just read (Yeast Connection by Dr. Crook) is the need for some people to rotate foods so that they don't become sensitive to any one thing. They showed a graft for day 1-5 with 5 different meats, fruit, grains, and veggies. Quote "If you're eating the same food every day, you may develop an intolerance or allergy to that food." It's suggested to eat a food once every 4-7 days.-Gail

I still really rely on that book and teh Yeast connection cook book for recipes. However, I don't agree that the Yeast Connection is strict enough. Here's a stricter version of the candida diet, that is based on the yeast Connection and Hagglund diet:

Candida Diet

Candida Diet - Foods To Eat
MEATS (Should be antibiotic, nitrate, preservative & Hormone free)Beef ChickenFish (eat moderately because of metals)LambTurkey OILS (Cold-pressed)Flaxseed (not used for cooking)Olive Oil (good to cook with)Sesame Oil (not used for cooking)Sunflower Oil (not used for cooking)
GRAINS (Whole - not refined)Amaranth*BarleyBrown RiceBuckwheatMillet*OatsPasta (whole grains that are not wheat)Quinoa*Rye*If gluten intolerant stay away from barley, oats, rye, spelt NUTS & SEEDS (Raw)AlmondsBrazilChestnutsHazelnutsMacadamiaPecansPumpkin SeedsSesame SeedsSunflowerWalnuts
DAIRY (Antibiotic & Hormone Free)ButterEggs VEGETABLES*All (except mushrooms)Moderate potato (1-2/x wk)
CONDIMENTSFresh herbs (i.e. basil, parsley, etc.)Dry MustardPepperSea saltSpices (without additives, sugar, MSG, etc.)NutmegGarlicgingerLemons/limes DRINKSWater - filteredHerbal Teas (red clover, peppermint, etc.)Mineral water w/no sugar (Perrier, etc.)Rice MilkFresh-squeezed lemon juice
BEANS, Peas & LEGUMES*All (except fermented soy products, i.e. miso, tempeh) *Good to eliminate this group for the first month - then eat only 3x/week MISCELLANEOUSCarob - unsweetenedSalsa (fresh w/ no vinegar or sugar)
FRUITS (1 per day)Apples (granny smith - peeled)BlueberriesCoconut*Grapefruit*Lemons/Limes SWEETENERSStevia
· Stay away from common allergen foods if presenting multiple allergy symptoms (citrus fruits, corn, milk, tomatoes, wheat)· You may get IgG blood test from most doctors for delayed food allergies to find out if any of these foods offend your system. Many doctors also give stool tests to determine candida, parasite and metals toxin content, but few doctors, except candida doctors can adequately read the results because of their bias against the concept of inflammation-related problems.· If you can’t afford the tests, eliminate foods if you detect that you react poorly to them by doing the food-elimination diet periodically.· Follow the rotational diet plan, because you may develop allergies if you rely on one food source too much.· To develop perspective on your diet, eat 20 percent meat, 80 percent vegetables, and less than 100 grams of carbs a day.· Also, meal proportions should be small. For perspective: If your combined servings at one meal are too big to fit in the palm of your hand, then you are overeating.· Try to eat organic.· Drink 6-8 glasses of water per day, spacing the water out for maximum hydration: two glasses in morning, one mid morning. Two glasses after lunch, one after dinner, and one before bed. If you are new to the candida diet and experiencing die-off from killing the candida with the diet, then you should drink a half glass of water every hour to purge your system of toxins.

Candida Diet – Don’t Eat
MEATS Processed & Packaged meatsHamburgersHot DogsSausage OILSPeanut OilProcessed oils - label reads partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated oils
VEGETABLESCornMushrooms NUTS & SEEDSCashewsPeanutsPistachios
DAIRYAll cheeses including cottage cheese, and hard and soft cheesesButtermilkCow & Goats MilkIce CreamMargarineSour CreamYogurtkefir GRAINS Breads (unless wheat, dairy, yeast and sugar free)Cereals (unless wheat, dairy and sugar free)CornKamutPastriesSpeltWhite RiceWhite FloursWheat
CONDIMENTSAll vinegars CatsupGravyJams & JelliesMustardPicklesRelishSalad Dressings (unless no added sugar)SaucesSoy sauceSpices with yeast, sugar of additives addedTamariWorcestershire MISCELLANEOUSCandyCookiesChocolateCoffeeDonutsGelatinGumFried FoodsMuffinsPastryPizzaProcessed Foods (TV. dinners, etc.)Smoked, Dried, Pickled or Cured Foods
BEANS & LEGUMESPeasNo fermented soy products (i.e. miso, tempeh)No soy - tofu DRINKSAlcoholCoffeeFruit juices Sodas (Diet & Regular)Teas - Caffeine (except green tea)
FRUITSApricotsBerries (raspberries, strawberries, etc.)BananasCherriesCurrantsDatesDried fruits (prunes, raisins, etc.)FigsGrapesKiwiMangosMelonsNectarinesOrangesPapayasPearsPeachesPinea pplePlumsPomegranatesTangerines SWEETENERSAspartame (NutraSweet)Barley maltBrown rice syrupBrown sugarCorn syrupDextroseFructoseFruit juice sweetenedHoneyMaltodextrinMaple SyrupMolassesRaw cane juice crystalsSorbitolSucraloseWhite sugar
* Stay away from common allergen foods if allergic (citrus fruits, corn, milk, tomatoes, wheat).

· Warning: People with allergies and sensitivities related to inflammation associated with candida should consider eliminating a certain family of vegetables related to tobacco:
"Nightshade vegetables include tobacco, tomatoes, potatoes and chili peppers. It is not surprising that these novel foods, being nightshades, were regarded with suspicion at first and were slow to take hold in the European diet. They all contain nicotine in some form, although it may be named solanine (potatoes), tomatine (tomatoes), alpha-solanine (aubergine) or solanadine (chillies and capsicums). It is now apparent that there are groups of people who cannot tolerate nightshades in their diets, wish to avoid them anyway or find that eliminating them helps alleviate a variety of mental, emotional and physical problems. The following groups of people avoid nightshades. People with arthritis - Some researchers believe that arthritis is misdiagnosed in people who are in fact just suffering joint aches and swelling arising from consumption of nightshades. One in three arthritics react badly to nightshades. These individuals frequently have a sensitivity to the solanine chemicals present in these foods. It can take up to six months of exclusion of nightshades from the diet to achieve a beneficial effect. Macrobiotics - since the 1960s, the macrobiotic diet has recommended avoidance of all nightshades. This proven diet for health and longevity is followed by celebrities such as Sadie Frost, Gwyneth Paltrow, Chris Martin of Coldplay and Madonna. Children with eczema - for some children the elimination of nightshades from the diet helps clear eczema, particularly around the mouth. Gastro Esophogal Reflux disease - consumption of nightshade vegetables, particularly tomatoes, can causes a reaction where the stomach contents are pushed back up the esophagus towards the throat with symptoms of heartburn, chest pain, choking while lying down and asthma symptoms when sleeping. Those quitting smoking - some programmes to help people give up cigarettes also recommend giving up nightshade foods in order to completely eliminate low level nicotine intake and consequent re-addiction. Blood group diet - Dr. Peter d'Adamo's Blood Type Diet recommends people of blood types A and B to avoid all nightshade foods. This represents about half the population of most European countries. Cystitis, lupus, psoriasis - giving up nightshades can help relieve symptoms of cystitis, lupus and psoriasis."

Tests that help you determine roll of inflammation associated with candida in your health problems:
IgG test available through any doctor will expose any delayed food allergies that may be keeping you from making progress.
Comprehensive stool test Any doctor can order it, but only a doctor knowledgeable about the ills of inflammation can properly read it. Great Smoky Mountains Daignostic Lab: http://www.gsdl.com/home/news/conne...20000906-p.html.
Metals Toxicity Stool test available from Doctor’s Data Inc.: http://www.doctorsdata.com/. Any doctor can order the test, but doctors knowledgeable about the ills of inflammation are the most qualified to interpret the data.

Best Advice: I know I've got a bad doctor when he doesn't see my symptoms as an inflammatory response and tries to treat the symptoms individually, or dismisses them as no big deal when I'm in obvious pain or discomfort, or can't work or can't poop or keep food down.
I boil it down to this: Find a good doctor who understands that your
symptoms are related, that they are an inflammatory response, not
just a bunch of separate symptoms he can use to generate tests and
boost pharmaceutical sales – and seem like he knows what he's doing.
This would be, preferably, an MD, who acknowledges the intense
inflammatory response of some patients. But it can also be a
naturalist, homeopathic physician, traditional Chinese medical
doctor, chiropracter or alternative doctor.
Conventional doctors
can't help your problem because they can't even bring themselves to
admit the limits of their training. They are outclassed by a growing
group of patients presenting allergies to inflammatory foods such as
wheat, sugar and dairy, and environmental allergens, such as
fragrances, pesticides, metals and smoke. Don't fall into the
doctors' trap of treating each symptom separately when it is so clear
they are all inflammation related. Treat them all at once by building
your immune system and cutting out inflammatory foods and stress.
Ask yourself this: if your doctor doesn't know the origin of all your
symptoms, and how they interrelate with diet, how can he suggest
drugs and surgeries for it?

Tests that help you determine role of inflammation associated with
candida in your health problems:
IgG test available through any doctor will expose any delayed food
allergies that may be keeping you from making progress.
Comprehensive stool test Any doctor can order it, but only a doctor
knowledgeable about the ills of inflammation can properly read it.
Great Smoky Mountains Daignostic Lab:
http://www.gsdl.com/home/news/conne...20000906-p.html.
Metals Toxicity Stool test available from Doctor's Data Inc.:
http://www.doctorsdata.com/. Any doctor can order the test, but
doctors knowledgeable about the ills of inflammation are the most
qualified to interpret the data.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 02:25

BF:

I am following a very restricitve version of Atkins/Caveman/Yeast connection. I would like to have veggies, but found I became sensitive to too many of them and they hamper my digestion. I will try add them back in slowly. For now I am relying on fiber supplements. Yeah, I rotate foods. It's invaluable. I find that after a time my sensitivities go away
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-11-05, 07:25

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%

I just spoke with my rep that I purchased 3lac from and I created a post that talks about the report and the bogus acusations, and he said There is no need to restrict your diet so dramatically, and I haven't I have simple stuck to Atkins, or LC products and no refined sugar, and I think I am doing ok. I haven't added rice or tried some bread, or anything like that becuase I would actually like to lose weight-but this poduct has been around for 8 yrs and you can find all kinds of comments-via the web from people who have used it since it came out-they use it for "maintenance" as you would vitamins for other health. but what you try is up to you and don't let people pick you apart or beat you up mentally for what you decide to do. Many people who have actually over come their candida will tell you that there is some trial and error, and there are many bumpy roads to get through. Candida is a mean monster, and very tough to get a handle on so unfortunately "frustration" is an automatic for a while. I know that I at least feel 5-10% better over the last 14 dys and for me that is amazing.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 06:52

BF:

I'm glad it's working for you schelle. I am starting to feel better. L-carnitine is REALLY helping. I think I was metabolically resistant and not getting into ketosis much, or getting kicked out easily. I don't plan on being so restrictive long term, but I became sensitive to too many vegetables and that's why I cut out everything except meat and fish for a while. I am starting to slowly add veggies back in. I have used some green barley grass powder as a substitute on and off though. I recommend that everybody with candida rotate foods. It's really really really helping me.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 08:14
Registered Member

BF:
Default avoid nightshades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumo
I am following a very restricitve version of Atkins/Caveman/Yeast connection. I would like to have veggies, but found I became sensitive to too many of them and they hamper my digestion. I will try add them back in slowly. For now I am relying on fiber supplements. Yeah, I rotate foods. It's invaluable. I find that after a time my sensitivities go away

It may help to avoid nightshades such as tomato, bell peppers, potatoes, etc. There is a reference to them in the diet guide I posted above.