Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-03-17, 12:22

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 246/246/150 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default LC Newbie

Howdy

I just started the low carb lifestyle this month (Nov. 1, 2017) after reading up on it (and intermittent fasting) the past couple of months. I've got 96 lbs. to lose, and even though I'm not Type 2 diabetic, I think it's only a matter of time before I become one since I'm the daughter of 2 diabetics and have 3 out of 4 grandparents who also had it. Haven't had any luck with traditional low calorie diets (and couldn't stay on them long term anyway), so I hope this is the answer to my longstanding weight problem!

Looking forward to meeting (and learning from) you all on the forum!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 04:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome
You have found a great forum, look all around the many topics and read back through some recent threads at Newbie, General LC, Atkins, Diabetes, etc.
There is an active Buddy Group for Atkins 1972.
Join a challenge or start a Journal...many types of support here to "find the answer for you". All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 11:20

Plan: currently at <50g carb/d
Stats: 208/203.1/136 Female 5ft 9.5in
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi! Your story sounds really close to mine. My grandmother was on insulin. My Mom passed away at 62 from diabetes. My Dad is on meds. I have 67 pounds to lose and years of life to gain. Welcome! Come join the 5 lb challenge in the challenge section. It is a great tool for starting out. I also really like the MyPlan tool on this forum. I haven't found another database source that lets me indivialized foreign foods and recipes like this one does.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 13:50
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Welcome. This works. It's not always easy, but it's pretty simple, and a lot easier than all those other approaches--or so it's proven to be for a substantial subset of the population that is dying on the SAD.
I've tried so many of those low-cal/low-fat approaches, and failed pretty miserably on all of them. This is free and sustainable as a lifetime way of eating.
If you fall, get up. If you fall again, get up again. Keep going. We've got so many years of failure/guilt mentality programmed into our eating/weight psyche that it can be hard to let go of that.
Personally, I think you're going to have a wonderful time with this.
suggest you consider starting a journal and getting settled in. Make yourself at home around here . . .
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-17, 19:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Welcome! I too have ALOT to lose, but we can do this, it CAN be done!!
Looking forward to getting to know you and sharing this journey...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-17, 15:38

BF:

Thank you for the very warm welcome! I've already been hitting up the Recipes section for future meal suggestions as I'm definitely going to have to change the way I cook. My family is not low carbing, and I'm the one who cooks dinner nearly all the time, so I think my primary strategy is to keep the carbs confined to side dishes that others can have and that I can pass on.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-06-17, 21:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/286/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 36%

Sounds like a good plan, make sure you have plenty of on plan food available so not to be tempted by the "carbage".
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 11:04

BF:

LOL-- "carbage"--that's a good term for it!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 11:16

BF:

TiredFedUp: Thank you for calling attention to the MyPlan tool. I hadn't been in that part of the site yet, and it looks super useful!

I see you are located in France. I spent a year there at the University of Paris when I was in college--and something about the lifestyle there brought me down to the lowest weight I'd ever been in my entire adult life (I left the USA weighing around 150 and was down to 132 lbs. when I returned 9 months later--borderline underweight for a woman my height)! And I was not consciously trying to lose weight. Must have been all the walking, since I didn't have a car?