Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 21:03
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 172/159/130 Female 67ins
BF:
Progress: 31%
Smile New member, 99% veggie as well!

Hello, been lurking here a few days, I re-started CAD (after a 15 YEAR gap!) because my cravings were bordering on eating-disordered compulsive eating after the last 2 weeks... I scored extreme on the scale in CAD.

My only issue is I'm basically vegetarian (not up for conversion on that thanks, not looking to promote it either ), but for sanity's sake I'm allowing one can of tuna a week, though I do eat organic dairy and free-range eggs as needed. Oh, and I can't eat any nuts, or too much soya, for serious medical reasons!

1 day in and my cravings have already vanished, the eating-machine I'd turned into since the festive season started has ended, I'm working tonight (care assistant) so thought I'd join, say hello.

I'm doing old-style CAD and making my RM less balanced because as a veggie, all I have for the CMs is eggs and cheese, and veg, so I don't want to scarf them all down in my RM.

My plan, so far:

~ wakeup, have some hot water and walk the dog

~ an hour later, have 100ml (3.9g carb) single cream in 2 coffees, finish that in 15 minutes

~ 3 hours later, have my RM, usually home-made soup with non-CM veg like carrots, broccoli, onion & potato, then a main, eg lentil dhal and rice, or avocado and a bread roll with tomatoes, then a dessert (slice of cheesecake or toasted fruit bread) & green tea with skimmed milk, maybe finish with a little 85% dark chocolate

~ supper (CM) is 75g cheese and celery & cucumber, with a smidge of onion & bit of mayo, or grilled mushrooms, or 2 eggs scrambled with butter, mushrooms and CM veg, or tuna and veg one night a week, maybe a spoonful of single cream in some green tea as well - I'm keeping carbs for that meal <8g

Because of my lifestyle & preferences I THINK this will work for me, I ran a long time eating just one meal/day and did great, but it ended when I'd have an apple before bed (sugar hit) or "something light" at breakfast... with carbs.

Like the "typical carb addict" described in CAD, I can wake and go a long time (actively too) before needing to eat, I can handle long periods without any food at all, without impairment, and I'm not scared of an empty stomach - tried the "6 small meals" thing ONCE and it nearly drove me crazy!!

I used CAD in 1995 or 6 to break a temporary compulsive-eating thing I had going on after crash dieting for some modelling work I was offered, it worked in just five days then I kind of forgot about it, maintained fluctuating between 126 and 140lbs for years, started to gain in earnest when I hit 39... combo of age and self-indulgence to be honest.

I'd been calorie counting the last few months and got down 20lbs, went off it at the end of November '11 for my first married Xmas (I'm 41, it's kind of a big deal!) and then found the snacking was getting out of control... remembered CAD, remembered it WORKED, here I am!

At first it was going to be a 7-day plan but when I worked out the RM & CM that fit with my lifestyle, and then felt so GOOD already within just 2 days, decided I'm going to try for a few months.

Other stuff I have going on is, I'm not more sensitive to simple sugars than to high-bran cereal, ie my body treats any carb like any other carb, so the past 2 RMs I've had, while one had cake and one had white bread, have been totally satisfying - for example I'm looking at being awake another 10 - 12 hours today after my RM and I can totally face that without panicking, I still feel full from what I ate 4 hours ago.

Every day I want to get a minimum of 5 portions of veg & 1 of fruit, the soup I start with helps there so I can have starches & pulses for most of the main RM meal.

I've read lots of threads on this forum (not every single post) up to about 18 pages back, loved Eno's posts & lots of the others too, so that's me, hello!

Editing to add, because my day is mainly about the RM, I'm also calorie-counting to be at around 1700 - 1800 calories in a day for the whole lot... bit of a kludge and not pure CAD but that's a compromise I'm willing to make as a non-tofu eating vegetarian and also with the choices re timing, RM, etc...

Another edit to add, what I love most right now is the way it's nearly the end of my shift and I've lost inches SINCE I woke up... only Day 2 and yet UNLIKE most WOE's I've ever tried (including normal eating at slim weight, and eating few calories than I have so far today, for days on end) I don't slowly expand as the day goes by... okay it's mainly because I'm having my RM early, but it's still amazing!

Going to make one final edit! To say that, I may or may not post often, but whatever happens I will update this thread in around a month to say whether this plan has worked for me, what (if anything) I've changed, and so on... CAD & CALP seem to be somewhat open to interpretation and mine combines a few elements that might make it interesting to other vegetarians who want to do a low-carb/intermittant fasting crossover as well. I love reading people's experiences so will try to give something back in that way... 'kay, I'm done for now!

Last edited by MrsSnape : Tue, Jan-03-12 at 04:56. Reason: Adding data
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 11:09

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Wishing you a successful journey!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 12:38
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
welcome!! It sounds like you know yourself very well- which will help lots. Your menu sounds great too-
and I like all of your posts.

While you score very high on the CAD test, I score very low. Lucky for me I read CALP before CAD and did that test- with the added questions about cholesterol I was in the low category- on the CAD test I came out not a CA at all. So I started this in a very differenct place than most of the others.
This plan works for me, and I love how I feel, so I just keep on doing it.

I'd love to hear more about you- where in England? What does your signature mean? HI!!!!!
E
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 06:48
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

I'm coming to the end of the 3rd day now and LOVE the way my day's no longer a cycle of "true hunger > temporary sugar rush > crash > insulin-driven HUNGERRR!!!" repeated to dizzying degrees... on the first day, after eating my RM, I felt fuller than I had in months of calorie counting alone (a practice I personally find empowering, though I know not everyone does) and then after the CM supper i felt a sense of peace that I'd be hesitant to even mention to anyone who's never had any issues with carby foods.

I love having my RM early for many reasons, enjoying that second (CM) meal with the feeling afterwards of complete peace is one of the main ones... it's a lovely feeling.

Another thing I like about this WOE so far (and it's still something I'm fine tuning and getting to grips with) is the way there's a time to eat, and a time to just get on with living, knowing I don't have to start planning my NEXT meal... that probably owes more to the borderline "intermittant fasting" element of my current plan of one meal and one snack a day, but it's working very well for me after a few years of being a bit off-track and a bit confused how to break free.

The rest: I'm in outer London, and my signature is a quote by Severus Snape out of the Harry Potter books/movies - you can see Alan Rickman playing him in all his saucy glory at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou7D3DbPioc

Possibly a bit sad by my age (forty-something) but I like the character and the books, and for some reason the quote (which is about making magical potions) struck me as appropriate to the general theme of food, addiction, cravings... stuff like that!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 15:26
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I love Harry Potter too-
and I know that quote- I can hear him say it!

I visit London lots- find it hard to avoid carbs there. Favorite coffee shop in the world is Monmouth (sp?) by Borrough Market.

welcome- glad your first few days are so good so far-
E
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 15:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
I visit London lots- find it hard to avoid carbs there. Favorite coffee shop in the world is Monmouth (sp?) by Borrough Market.

I don't think I know that one, might look round there next time I'm in the area!

I think finding low/no-carb options visiting any city abroad is:

1. hard work! and

2. a business opportunity just gagging to happen...

Next time you're over, look up our major supermarkets Sainsbury's, Tesco, M&S Food and Waitrose - they've taken to putting local-store type outlets on many high streets (London being a collection of mini-villages with their own high streets, eg Camden or New Cross, instead of a monolithic city) and you can use their branch locators online, they usually have better options for low-carb stuff you can take away and eat in a park, or by the Thames - better by far than pricey carby sandwiches from places like Pret A Manger & Subway.

I don't dine out much (I'm a good cook, and a bit of a cheapskate!) but if I find anywhere useful I'll post it on the main low-carb forums.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 11:16

Plan: CAD
Stats: 167/150/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

HI and welcome!!

I am not vegetarian, but would probably be more so if I could find some decent LC recipes. If you ever care to share any that would be great!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 14:30

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Welcome..I love to share recipes, but unfortunately, most are not suitable for you. However, my(not "mine" though I've tweaked it) spinach-cheese casserole rocks..lol! I am sure I've posted it somewhere in my journal or the main cad/calp thread, if you want it and can't find it, let me know

I also love to experiment with things like julienned zucchini as 'fries", or with egg & bit of cheese as a fritter (and also play around with using a coarse mashed cauliflower that way).
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-12, 11:55
Registered Member

BF:

Update - doing some k-r-a-z-y shifts at the mo, swinging from early morning starts to early morning finish, due to someone on the "team" gone awol... I came intentionally off CAD on Saturday because I'd just done 4am - 2pm (with my RM ~ 2am before starting), then back 6pm to midnight, and there was no way I could manage that on a bit of cheese or some eggs - so yes, definitely finding in that respect that CAD might not be as suitable for vegetarians, even ones like me who eat eggs and (in my case) cheat with a weekly can of tuna - but, i am still loving the rest of the plan and it broke my festive-seasin-induced carb cravings in 3 days, so that's also worthy of celebration!

On Friday & Saturday I did face the issue - and this may be more useful to people reading the forum than avowed low-carbers - of NOT wanting to eat at all, insofar as my body had gotten used to one carb-based meal per day, and with that out the way wasn't inclined to eat another in under 24 hours...

I've crash-dieted unwisely in the past and while I don't think I have anorexic tendencies, I don't want to throw that dice of not eating anything substantial for such long periods while alwso losing the appetite to do so, most of the weight I want to lose is vanity weight, since I'm pretty tall and take the whole BMi thing with a pinch of salt.

If this post sounds a bit disjointed, don't blame it on the moonlight, don't blame it on the boogie - just plain old lack of sleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacontooth
HI and welcome!!

I am not vegetarian, but would probably be more so if I could find some decent LC recipes. If you ever care to share any that would be great!

Hi!

I posted my recipe for a really rich scrambled egg dish here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...253#post8480253

I've served that to serious carnivores and they've thoroughly enjoyed it, it's a nice solid dish and could easily be spiced up with held-back bacon fat or something if you're looking to do a meat-free, but not wholly vegetarian, day.

Oh and ps lost 1inch of my waist but no more poundage yet...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 09:26

BF:

ooh looks good thanks!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-12, 06:10
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Uodate: work is crazy at the moment, we're understaffed and the shifts are horrific... I made the executive decision to ditch eating tuna because it doesn't work for me, it feels wrong somehow, and I adjusted to doing 2 x carb meals, seperated by 12 hours, and eaten within one hour (usually far less) and copying the suggestion I saw in here to never leave more than 20-minutes between eating during that hour.

I'm also calorie counting them and with the 1 or 2 "complimentary meals" I have so in any 24-hour period I come in under 1850cals, which is high but appropriate given my working hours right now, I can do a 36-hour cycle of 2 and a half shifts and at no point in any one week be waking and sleeping at the exact same time, a lot of the time I'm not even at home to sleep!

I guess that's pretty much taking me out of any version of "pure" CAD/CALp but it's a way of eating that fits my self-imposed restriction on meat, and also I'm pretty sure even if I was tucking into haunches of lamb and fields full of chickens, my working hours would make following this plan precisely very difficult, so thyat's been my outcome so far.

My weight has only dropped 5lbs in about 3 weeks but I feel leaner, and sticking to that 12-hour (I guess 11 hours technically) gap is working to beat cravings right out the house, then I have a scrambled egg dish, or omelette, or just cheese salad with a bit of real mayo in between.

I honestly think CAD is do-able for an ovo-lacto vegetarian, pisco-vegetarian most definitely (kipper, tuna, trout... the world's your oyster! ) but since I wanted to cut fish AND am keeping weird crazy shifts, it wasn't for me.

BUT: the return to a structured lower intake of carbs did break the craving cycle and gave me back a sense of control over food that had slipped badly, and I strongly recommend it even for strict veggies to break a craving cycle, anyone could manage this for 5 - 7 days and doubly so if they can eat soy, which I can't, and artificial sweeteners, which I WON'T!

I hope that helps, been on my 2 x a day cycle for nearly a fortnight and it just feels right, so I'm going to stick with it, then if work eases up fit in a few CAD days, but I no longer see it as a life-plan for me, more of a tool to get a few days lower-carb eating in.

I'm very grateful to the Hllers for giving me a realistic and liveable tool for breaking a cycle of carb/food cravings and I shall definitely try and schedule in a few pure CAD days after next Christmas!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 08:16

BF:

glad it's going so well!!