Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 17:28

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
It will also be argued, as Dean Ornish does, that the source of the saturated fat was not necessarily meat or bacon, but beans or other healthy sources.

But the nutritional reason why meat has been vilified over the years, is that it’s a source of unhealthy saturated fat. It’s not that meat per se is bad — unless you buy the colon cancer evidence, which has always seemed dubious — it’s that the saturated fat in meat makes it bad. So the argument about the source of the saturated fat is irrelevant.

The question hinges on whether saturated fat raises cholesterol and causes heart disease. One way or the other this trial is a test of that hypothesis. It’s arguably the best such trial ever done and the most rigorous. To me that’s always been the story. If saturated fat is bad for us, then these trials should demonstrate it. They imply the opposite.

Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 17:30

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbabe
Apologies if anyone has already posted this, but there's an excellent multi page article by Taubes here:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...Magazine&st=cse

One of the greatest articles ever written, and always worth linking to!
  #138   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 18:30
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbabe
Some of the reader's comments were good, and I like their mission statement:

The Lab's work is guided by two founding principles:
1. Just because an idea appeals to a lot of people doesn't mean it's wrong.
2. But that's a good working theory.
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 15:30

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy
Regina's friend is none other than Dr. Eric C. Westman. His comment talking about this very topic is #73 on this page.

We need more of us to go over to there and leave comments. This is a lousy piece of "reporting" and needs some "correction." (Demi already posted the content of the story in an earlier post, "Did Low-Carb Dieters Really Follow the Atkins Plan?"

Catching up on this thread, and I went to check out Dr. Westman's comments referenced above. Someone with the initials "TPP" (Tara Pope, I guess? I'm not familiar with all the players here, I assume she's a Jane Brody analogue?) has left an angry, bold-font edit under Dr. Westman's comments (and the posted email), referring to it as 'revisionist'. I think they're starting to get panicky.

(I should mention this jumped out at me because I've rarely if ever seen any reply or editing of reader comments in such a mainstream article (blogs, sure; NYT no). But I've also not read anything by this reporter, maybe she makes a habit of it.)
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 15:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Here's a wonderful comment:
Quote:
Ah, Woody Allen’s “Sleeper” continues to be prophetic:

Dr. Melik: This morning for breakfast he requested something called “wheat germ, organic honey and tiger’s milk.”
Dr. Aragon: [chuckling] Oh, yes. Those are the charmed substances that some years ago were thought to contain life-preserving properties.
Dr. Melik: You mean there was no deep fat? No steak or cream pies or… hot fudge?
Dr. Aragon: Those were thought to be unhealthy… precisely the opposite of what we now know to be true.
Dr. Melik: Incredible.
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-08, 17:56

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Deeppp fattsss....yummmmmmm
  #142   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 08:26
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%
Default Low Carb Diets Earn Praise: Study Shows Low Carb More Effective Than Low Fat Diets

Quote:
Low Carb Diets Earn Praise: Study Shows Low Carb More Effective Than Low Fat Diets
GlycemicEdge, a nutrition and wellness portal, adds additional support for low carb friendly Glycemic Index and Atkins diets following release of 2-year study. Low carb diets earning strong medical praise with findings supporting the benefits of low carb diets over traditional low fat plans.

Denver, CO (PRWEB) July 25, 2008 -- Low carb diets received a well deserved boost this month when a large 2-year study concluded that low carbohydrate diets are more effective than traditional low fat diets for losing weight and improving cholesterol levels. Published this week in the New England Journal of Medicine, the authors observed 322 moderately obese adults and found the low carb group outperformed low fat dieters in average weight loss and proportion of HDL to LDL cholesterol levels.

In response to strong consumer and researcher support for smart and low carb diet plans, GlycemicEdge.com announced an expansion of diet plans they support to include the Glycemic Index, South Beach Diet, and now the Atkins Diet plan.

Wayne Becker, editor for GlycemicEdge.com, added, "The study released last week by NEJM only reinforces that no single diet is right for everyone. It also sends a strong signal that low carb diet plans may offer some strong advantages over traditional low fat diets -- particularly when it comes to weight loss and cardiovascular wellness."

Maintaining a focus on low carb focused meal plans, recipes, and managed diets allows GlycemicEdge to power a single portal that allows users to research and select the right low carb plan that suits their needs. Support and interest for the Atkins diet has seen renewed support, particularly among men, many of which view the studies supporting low carb over low fat as a vindication of the plans originated by Dr. Robert C. Atkins.

The big surprise of the study was that low carb diets improved cholesterol more than the Mediterranean Diet or Low Fat diet plans, despite the fact that the low carb diet has no specific restrictions on fat intake.

The study highlighted a number of remarkable findings, including:

The relative drop in cholesterol to high density lipoprotein ("good" cholesterol) was 20% in the low carb group vs. 12% in the low fat group
Avg. weight loss 6.4 lbs in low carb group vs. 10.4 lbs in the low carb group
The low carb group ate the fewest carbs and a proportionately higher level of fat, protein, and cholesterol -- yet still showed the best cholesterol health level improvements

The addition of the Atkins Diet to the already popular South Beach Diet and Glycemic Index Diet plans allows visitors to select the plan that best suits their individual tastes and tolerances. Matching the right plan to an individuals goals and preferences is a critical first-step in jump starting lifestyle changes.

"One of the most overlooked findings in the study was that 95.4% of the participants in the study stuck to the diets for at least 1 year. Over 84% stayed on it for the entire 2-year period. These aren't fad diets. They're not 30 day miracle plans. These are lifestyle plans that promote long term wellness -- the fact that you lose weight and improve overall energy & cholesterol levels often overshadow how well received these plans are. We help people get started -- the first 2-4 weeks are critical."

For information about the clinical study, visit the New England Journal of Medicine.

About GlycemicEdge
Glycemic Edge is an information, research, and knowledge sharing site focused on low carb nutrition, wellness, and health and meal planning.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/07/prweb1141364.htm
  #143   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 08:33

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

although i am ok with their premise, I feel GlycemicEdge is trying to make money by selling something or helping people "support" through Atkins. If you need support come to this forum it is 100% free.
  #144   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-08, 08:37

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

LOL...I was thinking the same thing.