Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 07:47

Plan: CKD
Stats: 120/108/101 Female 61 inches
BF:18.46/18.46/?
Progress: 63%
Default Carbs in Kale

I grow Kale in my garden so I have a lot available. I noticed though that it has a high carb count, compared to other leafy greens.

It has more carbs than peas (measuring raw by oz), and even carrots.

I've checked several web site carb tables, and get the same thing. One ounce of Kale has 3+ carbs, so if you have 4 ounces of raw kale (which when steamed amounts to just a small blob on the plate), you've consumed 12 carbs. On induction it makes it hard to have a salad too, and another veggie for dinner without going over the 20 gram limit.

Any comments on Kale out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 07:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/185/180 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Many people may disagree with me but I dont worry about carbs from fresh vegies. Just keep your carb count as low as you can with the other food you eat.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 08:19

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

But it has 1.3 grams fiber resulting in ECC of 2.1 grams carb per half cup per Dr. A's Carb Counter.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 08:20

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

The carb counter I have says that a 1/2 cup of kale is 3.7 carbs versus 12.5 for a half cup of peas. I eat kale all the time and never give it a second thought. It is high in antioxidants so I would chose it over peas any day! I cook it in some sesame oil and it's great.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 08:27

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Even if it is slightly higer in carbs than lettuce and other leafy greens you're getting SO much out of it in return! All the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants! Kale is one of the best foods for you, I wouldn't worry about a few extra carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-11-05, 08:59

Plan: CKD
Stats: 120/108/101 Female 61 inches
BF:18.46/18.46/?
Progress: 63%

I know when you measure by volume, peas are quite higher. But to get the true value requires measuring by weight. If you compare an ounce of kale to an ounce of peas, kale is higher in carbs. Obviously peas are denser so more can fit in a cup. Anyway, I love Kale, just trying to do this right and not go over 20 grams of carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorra_1
The carb counter I have says that a 1/2 cup of kale is 3.7 carbs versus 12.5 for a half cup of peas. I eat kale all the time and never give it a second thought. It is high in antioxidants so I would chose it over peas any day! I cook it in some sesame oil and it's great.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 12:37

Stats: 159/159/133 Female 165
BF:
Progress:

Sorry for digging this out again ..

I have just started on the Atkins and have to admit I am not very consistent when it comes to counting carbs - especially when it comes to veggies. I live in the UK and today I had a whole bag of kale (!!!!) which was 200 grams - it's only a very small portion when you cook it. But it said 1.4 grams of carbs per 100 grams. So I thought "let's go for it"...now I read this!! I don't want to become obsessed with this but if all the carb counters on the internet are correct, kale is much higher in carbs than it said on the package. Which leads me to the conclusion that most food labels are completely incorrect!! To be quite honest with you, I don't bother that much with counting carbs in veggies - I do of course with cheese and although it is hard I am trying my best to not eat too much cream. But looking at the Atkins foods list I just realised I should eat far less veggies..but only the thought of just eating 50 - 80 grams of veggies makes me feel deprived. I have a about 3 portions of veggies or salads a day but the veggie sizes are much higher (I am only eating the allowed veggies though) than they should be. I have already lost 4 pounds in 2 days and was wondering if I should be more behind counting my carbs in veggies!?!? I feel the more I eat the better is my digestion - I couldn't really eat less.. what do you think?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 13:09
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

I believe you are in the UK, correct? If so, your nutritional information labeling shows "net" carbs in the carb count, meaning the fiber has already been already removed.

That said, My PLAN (the food tracking tool on the forum - in the menu bar in yellow) says 100g of raw kale has 10g carbs and 2g fiber, which is a net of 8g carbs. I checked the USDA database, and it shows the same.

I would double check the serving size on your package and make sure it says the serving is 100g. If not, then I would say that the data may not be correct as that seems very low for the count.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 13:15

Stats: 159/159/133 Female 165
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
I believe you are in the UK, correct? If so, your nutritional information labeling shows "net" carbs in the carb count, meaning the fiber has already been already removed.

That said, My PLAN (the food tracking tool on the forum - in the menu bar in yellow) says 100g of raw kale has 10g carbs and 2g fiber, which is a net of 8g carbs. I checked the USDA database, and it shows the same.

I would double check the serving size on your package and make sure it says the serving is 100g. If not, then I would say that the data may not be correct as that seems very low for the count.

It says 1.4 grams per 100 grams - not per serving size...that's my problem...
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 13:17
Induction ≠ Atkins

Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Well..if that's the case, unfortunately the counts seem off to me. I find the information in My PLAN to be very accurate, and cross checked it for you with the USDA (US Department of Agriculture - a government agency) website for accuracy. Same result. Seems like the label is incorrect
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 20:01

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

I had flash-fried kale last week at a local restaurant! OMG Yummy!

(Now trying to figure out how to flash fry things!)
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 07:46

Stats: 151/143/120 Female 154cm
BF:34%/32%/20%
Progress: 26%

I don't know about flash frying, but try putting shredded kale on a baking tray, coat it in oil and sprinkle with salt and baking until it just starts to brown. It goes super crispy like the seaweed you get at chinese restaurants. YUMMY!

I'm also in the UK and eat kale liberally. I never really count carbs in green veg but always thought of this as pretty safe. I usually share a bag with my husband for dinner topped with meat of some kind. So 100g serving I guess. This seems like quite a lot to me, I'm not sure I could eat a whole bag by myself!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-10, 12:13

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by terque
I don't know about flash frying, but try putting shredded kale on a baking tray, coat it in oil and sprinkle with salt and baking until it just starts to brown. It goes super crispy like the seaweed you get at chinese restaurants. YUMMY!

I'm also in the UK and eat kale liberally. I never really count carbs in green veg but always thought of this as pretty safe. I usually share a bag with my husband for dinner topped with meat of some kind. So 100g serving I guess. This seems like quite a lot to me, I'm not sure I could eat a whole bag by myself!

I LOVE kale chips. I like mine with season salt. You can add a little sprinkle of parmesan (if you eat dairy) too...yummm.