Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 06:54

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Im still pretty amazed at the numbers you put up. Inspires me to lift harder.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 23:23

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%
Default Tuesday, 10/23/07 PM Workout

Tuesday, 10/23/07 PM reps/wt.

abs, lunges:

5 minute warm-up
russian twists 10r
V-ups 10r
frog sit-ups 10r
reverse crunches 10r
janda sit-ups 10r
alternating heel-touchers 10r
weighted crunches 10r x 15 lb. db
side lunges 10r x 30 lb. db
front lunges 10r x 30 lb. db
back lunges 10r x 30 lb. db
walking lunges 10r x 30 lb. db
pulsing lunges 10r x 30 lb. db
russian twists 10r
V-ups 10r
frog sit-ups 10r
reverse crunches 10r
janda sit-ups 10r
alternating heel-touchers 10r
weighted crunches 10r x 15 lb. db
side lunges 10r x 15 lb. db
front lunges 10r x 15 lb. db
back lunges 10r x 15 lb. db
walking lunges 10r x 15 lb. db
pulsing lunges 10r x 15 lb. db
5 minute cool-down
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 23:26

BF:
Default Okay Yet Again

This felt pretty good. I'm pretty sore from yesterday. Next scheduled workout is Friday.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 03:16

BF:

I haven't updated here in a while, but I have been exercising a lot. A whole lot!

I started an Alwyn Cosgrove program called, "No Equipment, No Problem." It is very good. In addition, I also joined a gym. I'm probably doing a little too much cardio at the moment, but that's okay. I'm pretty sure the novelty will wear off soon. I'm looking forward to testing my maximum lifts soon.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-08, 05:40
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Good luck with your program! Do you have a link to it? Alwyn's stuff is killer.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 23:53

BF:

Update Time!

February 20, 2008: Wednesday

I went to the gym around 7PM. Here's what I did there:

30 minutes elliptical, Mt. Kilimijaro settting, level 15
20 minutes step machine, worked in several intense intervals
-3 sets, 10 reps: roman chair leg lifts
-3 sets, 10 reps: roman chair hyperextensions
-3 sets, 10 reps: crunches on swiss ball
-20 minutes walking on track, cool-down

When I got home, I was bouncing off of the walls. This tends to happen after 2 iced coffees.

11PM:

jumprope, about 20 minutes total
Deadlift, 10r x 135 lbs.
Deadlift, 5r x 180 lbs.
Deadlift, 4r x 200 lbs.
Deadlift, 1r x 265 lbs. *PR*
Deadlift, 10r x 135 lbs.

There was a minute to a few minute's rest in between each set.

My all-time record for the deadlift was 270, but at that time I think I was about 220 lbs.

My weight now is in the mid to high 180s (thanks carbs!). In my last attempts I've only been able to do 250. So that's a nice increase.

I feel like I've fallen down a flight of steps. Maybe several flights. I have not done heavy lifting for a while now. AC focuses more on speed, balance, coordination... things I definitely need. However, it feels great to be back into the heavier stuff.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 06:40
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced

Nice DL!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 10:03

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%

You always impress me with the weights you are capable of.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 00:02

BF:

Whoa, February?! Let's get this updated!

I am still doing Christian Thibadeau's plan. Today was chest and back.

My deadlift was fraught with problems. First, the one end bolt had come out, so things were off balance. Then, I had 210 on the bar when I meant to have 170. I tried 170, and I was able to do the 4 reps, but it felt too heavy. I had to remind myself I'm not doing this to impress anyone, and I need to use weights I can actually handle. Begrudgingly, I took it down to 155. I haven't deadlifted in a long time, so it was a good start.

Back in June, I did something funny to my back doing an extremely sloppy deadlift. After some rest, it was fine, but it made me very aware of how important proper form is. It wasn't the weight that did it, it was definitely the style of lifting. But anyway, it ended up okay.

On with this evening's workout:

deadlifts, 155 lbs. 4 reps
flies, 20 lb. dbs, 4 reps
(superset, then rest)

bent rows, 60 lbs., 8 reps
push-ups with legs elevated, 8 reps
(superset, then rest)

Repeated 5 times.

It was a pretty good workout. My hands hurt from the DLs. The chalk did help, though. I just need to toughen up and get my callouses working again.

Tomorrow I want to do a circuit. I'd really like to get it done before school but I doubt that's realistic. I'm not much of a morning exerciser. We'll see, though.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 07:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:

I had to remind myself I'm not doing this to impress anyone, and I need to use weights I can actually handle.

Yep. I have to tell myself that too. What makes it really sad for me is, I don't even work-out in a public gym anymore, so when I'm lifting too heavy I can only conclude I'm trying to impress myself. Now that's either sad or scary...or both.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 09:20
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%

I have the same problem, sometimes. It's especially bad when I'm getting back to it after not doing it for so long and I feel challenged by what used to feel like wimpy weights.

I like that chest & back routine you did, Alisa. Simple, short, but effective, I'm sure.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 00:50

BF:

Ha, it figures two people I DO want to impress stop by to see my reduced weights! Oh well, I'm glad you can empathize!

Today, I went on an extremely long walk---we're talking 1.5 hours, and at least 3 miles covered. I just started walking and didn't stop. In my heeled boots, no less. It was really nice, and let me get things sorted out a bit. Not sure I made the right decisions, but at least I thought about it.

Tomorrow I will try to do the circuit and cardio. I've had such long days this week. Even though I am extremely sore (in a good way!) I know this is doing me good. I am not sure if this is strange or not, but I seem to instantly look better once I start exercising. I think part of it is mental, part of it is posture and hopefully a little part of it is reality.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 10:03
Bouncy!

LOL! Alisa, you do impress me, every time you post, you are always doing something impressive.

Actually, how about some advice? You read as much, probably much more, than I do about lifting and weights. I feel like I'm on overload with information and can't see the forest for the trees. I'm sure you will be able to see it more clearly and be able to zero in on a good idea for me.

What would you recommend for me to do for weights?

I'm not a bodybuilder, I like being a little strong, but I'm never going to care about seeing striations in my muscles or anything like that. I basically want to make sure I'm not losing muscle mass as I lose weight. I am dieting moderately right now, getting a 1-2 pound loss per week.

You know running is my thing, it's my priority and I run 4 times per week, an easy run Monday, hills, speedwork or steady run Wednesday, a steady run Friday, & long run (an hour or a bit more) Sunday. I'm training for a 10k and improving my running times are my priority. I do a core (stability ball) class on Saturdays that incorporates some high rep, low weight (like 8lb dumbbell) moves like lunges, squats, chest presses and such before doing some serious ab work.

I know I should do weights as well, but like I said, I'm just too overwhelmed with different ideas - once a week, heavy? Twice a week, split routines four times a week? And especially, what to do about legs. Am I overtraining my legs if I run 4 days a week, do a light legs workout with my core class and also add two heavy lifting days? But I'm not a serious athlete, maybe I'm just being silly worrying about overtraining my legs. I run, but not super fast, it's more like a jog unless I'm doing speedwork. My legs are never achey after a run, I'm more limited by my cardio than my leg strength.

So, play personal trainer for me, if you don't mind. What would you suggest I do for weights?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-08, 21:10

BF:

Valerie, I answered you in your gym log, but I'm going to post it here, too, as it sort explains what I'm doing as well:

"I would definitely suggest this: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1499282.

It's actually the one I am loosely following now. I think it would be good for a couple of reasons. First, it's not incredibly time-consuming, which is nice. Also, CT says the main point of lifting while dieting is to maintain muscle, not necessarily increase it. It also uses a couple different energy systems (weights, cardio, alactic, circuits).

I think there's a lot of opinions either way about working your legs when you're doing a lot of cardio. One good thing about this plan in particular is that it emphasizes your hamstrings. I would think that this would be a good thing as a runner. It would make your legs more balanced (people tend to be quads-dominant).

I'm thinking that you could even replace the alactic workout with a shorter, more intense run. The circuits are great, but he does say they are "cardio with weights." You could probably replace at least one of those with a longer run.

Let me know if you decide to try it out."

I am definitely not a runner, so I'm sticking with the basic set-up. I haven't done the alactic workout in a while, but when I did, I did intervals of dumbbell swings. Maybe I should do that tonight... It's hard, really high intensity, but it seems worth it.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-08, 09:16
Bouncy!

Thanks for the idea, Alisa. And for tracking down my gym journal! It's been a while since I used it. Maybe I will track what I'm doing there.

I definitely like that legs are only done once a week. I think that's probably good for me. And I like the big compound movements and that there isn't too much of them.

I know I'm bastardizing some, but I hope I'll catch most of the benefits of his system if I do his weights, my running for the cardio, call my Saturday fitness class & throw in one more DVD workout a week for the circuit stuff. For the alactic, this is the first I've heard of it, but it basically sounds like HIIT. I like HIIT and I find it does help improve my running, so I could switch out my speed work run once a week for a HIIT type thing on the treadmill.

I like that there is a bunch of different stuff in there.

Thanks, Alisa!