Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 18:01

Plan: Drs Bernskins
Stats: 260/232.4/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:lots
Progress: 28%
Smile moondanzr's "progess not perfection exercise plan"

OK here goes...I hate to exercise but my bod is not looking so great anymore and I need to move just for health sake.
I am disabled by FMS so I do have some legit reasons BUT there must be some exercise I can do everyday.
Things that may not count for other folks...like gardening for instance or semi-heavy house work will have to count for me at times as well as mall walking.
I need to build some strenght and stanima as well as maintain some flexability. I will need to proceed with caution cause if I don't well...there could be hell to pay with a flare-up.
What I know I can do right now (unless a huge flare-up happens).
I can walk on the dreadmill 30 minutes 4 days per week or a 2,000 mall walk even if I have to break it up into intervals.
I can do a yoga practice 2 times a week.
I can lift some light weights for my upper body 2 x per week and perhaps find some abd exercises that are not too intense 2 times per week as 1. lower back problems and 2. HUGE incision from obliques to obliques.
So, as I am lazy I am hoping that this journal will keep me accountable.
Tomorrows plan-
Walk dreadmill 30 min or mall walk.
Yoga practice.
Lift light weights for arms...haven't lifted since the disability so will start with 1 pounders...
Good luck to me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 05:43
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondanzr
I can walk on the dreadmill 30 minutes 4 days per week or a 2,000 mall walk even if I have to break it up into intervals.

LOL! That is exactly what I call it. My husband is incapable of calling it by its proper name any longer. He'll say, "So, did you get on the dreadmill this morning?"

Good luck to you! Come back and post what it was like! I know my biceps are burning today and my thighs felt warm and lovely as I drove to work this morning.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 18:12

Walked 15 minutes on the dreadmill and as I knew I had to do shoping purposely walked 1,000 steps wearing pedometer (during shopping).
Did 4 exercises for arms using a 1 lb weight...1 set of 8 reps. I will need the one pounders for over my head as I am very weak there but can increase the weight for other exercises.
Did a short yoga practice but got it done...I am exhausted but no increased pain at this time.

Last edited by moondanzr : Wed, Feb-23-05 at 18:55.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 18:22

Tomorrow exercise plan is
1) dreadmill for 30 minutes
2) 3 exercises for the abds.
3) do JP pose and then lay in the Shavasana pose.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 06:48
fierce!

Plan: TGDW
Stats: -/-/- Female 64
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondanzr
... walked 1,000 steps wearing pedometer

That's excellent and so is the rest of your exercise. I think I mentioned in another thread that I'm getting a pedometer for my birthday. I read (I think it was in a pedometer review at Amazon.com) that an aim for perfect health is 10,000 steps a day. That sounds impossible to me right now, but if I can manage 45 minutes on the dreadmill at 3mph and walk more during the day (park farther away from my destination and use the rest room more!) I might be able to achieve it.

Why don't you stick your pedometer on in the morning and see how many steps you log in a day?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 09:11

Smile

Quote:
Why don't you stick your pedometer on in the morning and see how many steps you log in a day?

Hi!

And thank-you for showing up and being so supportive. I do the exact thing that you mentioned! I am not logging on anywhere near 10,000 steps a day but am increasing them.

I use interesting hint that I got...and what I go by is to look at the number as 70,000 a week...ya..I know scary! But as my disability makes my life more sedetary it is easier to be more active somedays than other. So, the week thing is a goal I am shooting for.

I started at a measly goal of 10,000 in a week and then increase it by 250 steps every week but have surpassed my goal each week

I got my pedometer at Walmart. The cheapo ones are around $6.00 and my DH got me a "talking one" for about $13.00. I love seeing the cals burned!!!

I think you will enjoy the pedometer as it is great knowing that every step you take counts!
LC Hugs,
Nancy
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 10:48

Smile

1) dreadmill for 30 minutes
2) 3 exercises for the abds.
3) do JP pose and then lay in the Shavasana pose.

All of the above done (whew). The abd exercises looked deceptionally easy but were not for me.
Stayed in JP for 5 min each side and Shavasana 5 min but had to resort to it early this AM due to storm pain and being unable to sleep...it helps!

Todays plan is
1. Dreadmill
2. A body workout that does not include abds. Am looking thru the book strong women stay slim and another book to pick out exercises that will be something I can do at this time. Will be more specific later.
3.) JP

I did arm upper body exercises as well as lower body exercises. This including an exercise of just learning to use my lower body strenght to stand from a sitting position from a kitchen chair. I had to "cheat" book said it was OK. I did need a bit of help with my arms to do this

Could not locate 1 lbs weights to did exericises with 2 pounders (damn DH...puts things in odd places as I had them next to my work-out shoes and plan).
My arms and shoulders hurt...not excrutiating but they hurt a fair amount.
I have found that I can only manage energy wise 15 minutes on the dreadmill but have decided will just continue to increase a minute a week. At least I am addressing all 3 areas of stamina, stenght and toning as well as flexabilty.
Did JP 5 minutes on each side as suppose to be one of the most benefical yoga poses.
Tomorrow's exercise plan looks like a increased speed walk and abds with JP.

Last edited by moondanzr : Fri, Feb-25-05 at 17:29.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 12:32

Today is March 1st. A new month...a clean slate to try and make progress.

Have not exercised since my last entry due to depression altho I do know that exercise would have helped the damn depression!

FMS pain is over the top today. Am barely managing it by alternating vicodin with ultram every 4 hours. This is when exercise gets tricky for me as if I do too much...I could end up in bed for weeks.

However, I do think I can manage a 15 min. walk on my dreadmill at a slow to moderate speed. Need to rest my back right now but will give that a go before the day is over.

Any exercise is better than none and I have to stop putting myself down for doing the best I can do even tho I would like it to be more.

Will lay in Shavasana as that will help my back and also give me a yoga pose for today.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 10:19

Could not do much yesterday and it is the same today. Had to cancel appointments due to storm pain...still having flurries here...and the fact that the FMS is very bad. The most I CAN do today is get up and walk around the house a few times every hour or 2 and perhaps a couple of yoga poses in bed. I know I am complaining but I am even sick to my stomach which only happens when the FMS is really bad.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 22:29

Light weight lifting done for arms, shoulders and calfs as well as an all over strengthner.
Walked on the dreadmill for 17 min non-stop.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-08-05, 14:26

dreadmill and some pilates type exercises done with some modified crunches.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 13:37

yoga practice and some light upper body weight lifting done.