Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 05:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/168/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default pcos, questions

Hello gals,

I'm new here and started Atkins not long ago. I've already lost seven pounds which is great!! I haven't cheated yet and it seems to be fairly easy to follow. I'm taking 2000 mg Gluc. XR daily (2 morning and 2 at night). The problem is that at times I feel very shaky and weak, not really hungry though. For some reason my gluc. monitor strips aren't working so I haven't been able to test my sugar. I'm just wondering if my blood sugar really is getting low or if I'm just having horrible cravings or what??? Usually an Atkins shake is the only thing that helps. My endo. check up is in another month but maybe I should call and ask about this. Anyone have experience in this area?

Appreciate any help and thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 08:28

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I don't have PCOS, but my daughter does, and she has had to adjust her gluc. since starting Atkins. Taking less.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

If you are suffering with PCOS then yu have a estrogen dominance problem. You may be getting exogenous hormones in your body through creams or the like.

If you are not eating hormone-free meats and eggs, that is where your excess estrogen is coming from. See, farmers add estrogens to the food supply to get the animals bigger quicker to get them to market.

Problem is that when the animals are killed and we cook and eat them, we take that excess estrogen into our bodies and we end up with all these "mysterious" syndromes and illnesses.

My advice... buy organic, free range, hormone and antibiotic free meats and eggs.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 12:27

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Sorry to dispute, KajunDC...

but PCOS is largely in part due to an insulin response problem.

I wholly agree with organic foods, but don't believe that is the root cause of PCOS.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-10-05, 01:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/168/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Actually, my estrogen and progesterone levels are quite low, even lower than normal. This really decreases my risk for uterine cancer. My testosterone and insulin levels are too high.

PCOS isn't a huge mystery, many aspects of the syndrome are still unexplained, but there has been a lot of progress recently in determining that insulin is the main factor.

Please do your reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunDC
If you are suffering with PCOS then yu have a estrogen dominance problem. You may be getting exogenous hormones in your body through creams or the like.

If you are not eating hormone-free meats and eggs, that is where your excess estrogen is coming from. See, farmers add estrogens to the food supply to get the animals bigger quicker to get them to market.

Problem is that when the animals are killed and we cook and eat them, we take that excess estrogen into our bodies and we end up with all these "mysterious" syndromes and illnesses.

My advice... buy organic, free range, hormone and antibiotic free meats and eggs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 01:44

Plan: Atkins or SugarBusters
Stats: 224/216/120 Female 5ft.
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default symptoms

Hi there-If you are low-carbing and taking meds for diabetes, it's potentially dangerous not to monitor your glucose. Take care & good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 04:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KajunDC

Just curious as to where you got this information? It isn't anything that I have heard or read about PCOS.....

"many current studies into PCOS are focusing on the body's ability to process insulin. A growing collection of data suggests that elevated insulin levels are unhealthy and contribute to increased androgen production, worsening PCOS symptoms from cosmetic issues to infertility, and eventually increasing the risk of certain cancers, diabetes and heart disease."

Last edited by jun keater : Fri, Feb-18-05 at 04:40.