Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:04

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 115/115/115
BF:
Progress:
Default delayed ovulation?

I chart my menstrual cycles using a thermometer and cervical fluids. I have been doing this for about 2 years now. I normally ovulate around CD18, pretty much like clockwork. I am following the Schwarzbein Principle and my carbs come to around 30g per meal with 2 snacks with about 15g. Since I started TSP a little over 8wks ago, my ovulation has been delayed both cycles. Last cycle I ovulated on CD21, and this cycle I ovulated on CD25. Has anyone else experienced this? I thought this normally happened the other way around.

I don't have PCOS, but have had a few chemical pregnancies due to weak ovulation. I have recently discovered some pretty significant vitamin/mineral deficiencies and am not in overall good health, so we've put off TTC for a while until I straighten this out.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 13:37

Plan: Atkins / IF / High Fat
Stats: 325/320/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi Cicely,

I chart my BBT as well. I'm not sure if LC'ing in particular would cause a delayed ovulation... but any changes to diet, excercise, stress levels or sleep could do it. As long as your leutal phase is still at least 10 days then it doesn't matter what CD ovualtion is on.... you would still be able to conceive.

Mind if I ask... what is a chemical pregnancy?

Best of luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 15:02

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
As long as your leutal phase is still at least 10 days then it doesn't matter what CD ovualtion is on

Almost true. Once your cycles hit 35 days or so, the uterine lining is generally too old for implantation. Of course some women still end up pregnant, but 35+ days is where a lot of women have problems with miscarriage, unfortunately.

Other than that, it doesn't matter.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 14:14

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 60%

Ovulating past cd25 isn't the best for conception. You also need a 12-14 day luteal phase, as 10 is a bit on the short side. Implantation usually occurs 5-10 days after ovulation, with the most common days for successful implantation is between days 7-10 post ovulation. If the uterine lining is breaking down prior to the fertilized egg implanting and then producing hcg and thus keeping the lining intact, then you may have problems getting pregnant.

I've seen where some nutritional supplements will delay ovulation or alter the luteal phase.

A chemical pg is a pregnancy where the hcg levels of the pregnancy didn't rise very much and the pregnancy was over very quickly. Often a chemical pg is the result of implantation failure.

Clomid is often prescribed for "weak ovulation." But with women with PCOS, careful monitoring is necessary, as clomid produces larger eggs-- and thus also a possibility for a women with PCOS to produce more cysts.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/227/174 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Just so you know the same thing happened to me, before low carbing I was like clockwork when it came to ovulation now I am still waiting to peak after having 9 highs according to my monitor so since I haven't been doing anything else I assume it is my diet. They say any diet program can change ovulation. It sure is weird though.

Last edited by Lalee901 : Wed, Sep-10-03 at 13:56.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 17:04

Plan: Atkins / IF / High Fat
Stats: 325/320/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Hi guys - just thought I would give ya'll an update. I did O this cycle (even though it was delayed) and I did get pregnant! I'm almost 6 weeks and I just had my first u/s today. Only ONE baby this time! I'm convinced that Atkins helped!!! I spent 2 yrs of not ovualting before having my twins on Clomid.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-15-03, 04:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins to Zone
Stats: 134/125/120
BF:
Progress: 64%

oh thank god...I thought it was just me. I too do a BBT chart.

This month I started back to induction levels of carbs to drop a few pounds quickly...while at the same time I am trying to conceive. Not only do I seem to not be producing cervical fluids at all...but I haven't ovulated yet (I'm at cycle day 14 and usually my temps would have shot up by now). Normally I do like clockwork so I can only assume it's the low carbing which is making the difference.

Now I don't know whether or not to stick to the low carb because I certainly don't want it to cause me to stop ovulation. Getting pregnant is more important to me than losing 5 pounds.

The only other change is I started taking Agnus Castus/vitex which is supposed to help pms and luteal phase/uterine lining but I've never heard it delays ovulation...

I don't have PCOS either...

Last edited by toodlepip : Mon, Sep-15-03 at 04:06.