Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 06:22

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Final results

I had a doctors appointment and my blood sugar levels were fine. She said I do have PCOS without insulin resistance - which is a good thing. She said to stay low carb and continue to lose weight. I start bc to regulate my cycle next Sunday. It's going to be strange having a period every month after never ever being regular (3 a year!) and I'm 43. I just wish the weight would come off a little faster..... (don't we all?)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-13-04, 08:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes. I want a magic wand for my birthday so I can just whisk away all the fat I want to lose!

How nice that your doctor approves of LCing and that it will help your condition.

If I see the Whoosh Fairy, I will send her your way (after I finish with the little dear myself!)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-21-04, 09:53

Plan: Low Carb for PCOS
Stats: 169/150/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default IR & PCOS

Hi Jun,

I have been doing alot of research and reading on PCOS and just because your insulin levels are normal, it does not mean you are not insulin resistant.
It has something to do with the way our bodies produce and use insulin, there is way more to insulin resistance than just a simple test.

Have you gone to see an endocrinologist?
Do a little more research...Metformin may help you lose weight and regulate your periods better than BCP's.

BCP's although they may regulate your cycle it seems like mostly they just mask the symptoms of PCOS.

Just a thought.

HC
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 11:32

BF:

Hi,
Thanks for your response.... "because your insulin levels are normal, it does not mean you are not insulin resistant." I have been trying to find that answer all along - I think I will make an appointment for an endo, instead of my gyn. Do you by any chance remember where you read that about the insulin levels being normal?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 12:21
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
"because your insulin levels are normal, it does not mean you are not insulin resistant."

My endo told me that.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-04, 22:56

BF:

Ok... that does it. I am making an appointment first thing Monday morning. Thank you!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-24-04, 10:45

Plan: Low Carb for PCOS
Stats: 169/150/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Insulin

Hi Jun,

I have read that in a couple of different places, mainly books on PCOS and Diet.
"What to do when your Dr Tells you it is PCOS"
and
"The Insulin Risistance Diet"

Hope that helps,

Jessica