Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 11:46

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Maintainers over 55....

Anyone here maintaining?

I thought it would be nice to have a thread in this sub-forum for maintainers.

I have finally made it into the 120s and even though I would enjoy being five pounds thinner, just for vanity, I am pleased to be at this weight, and am enjoying my WOE and my movement/exercise.

Hope to "see" some others here.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-14-10, 20:11
Registered Member

Plan: no grains no sugar
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Me too!! Ill be 58 in November. staying between l25- 128 lbs. Mostly through veggies, fruit, seeds, nuts. very little carbs, meat, dairy.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-10, 04:26

BF:

Hi, Lily! Nice to have you post here.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 16:42

BF:

I'm finding I keep more and more maintenance habits to stay slender. I notice I drink my tea black most of the time, and use my HWC allotments for special things, rather than using it in my tea. I alternate my high-calorie extras: HWC, nuts, unsweetened baking chocolate, so they don't creep in too often or in too great amounts. Am very careful to use a higher starch veg such as pumpkin or parsnip as a special meal, not a daily one.

I find pacing myself, rest and daily movement all vital parts of my maintenance plan.

What do you all do to tend your maintenance?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 16:54
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm
What do you all do to tend your maintenance?

i eat meat and pork and chix wings..
my weight doesn't really fluctuate because i eat so clean.
i am 55 and never had menopause symptoms and i contribute that to the Carnivore lifestyle.
i have stopped the aging process and for that i am eternally grateful.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-11, 08:27

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I started my lowcarb WOL in 2002, and hit goal about 1.75 years afterward, and have maintained ever since. I am optimally treated for hypothyroidism, and went through menopause using BHRT (compounded) and weaned off of it during my lowcarbing.

I eat very clean, I work out four times a week (one time cardio, the rest lifting weights...I have autoimmune lung disease, and can't do a lot of cardio...but love to lift...the more muscle I can hold onto, the more calories it burns for me).

I eat about 50NET grams carb on my lifting days, and about 30 NET on my non lifting days. I don't lift little weights a lot of times, I try and lift as heavy as I can manage for a short time

I don't eat any nonwhole foods, no bars, no soy, no Frankenfoods....not a lot of whipped cream..mostly just meat, poultry, fish, and fresh veg. I also have Celiac so I HAVE to stay 'clean eatin' anyway.

I love eating lowcarb!

Pam
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 10:24
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

It's now March 1st.I'm struggling. Just found out I have many! thyroid nodules? from an ultrasound. Have to have another one in 4 more months to see if they have grown. Doc.said to wait & see. I don't want to do that . what can I do now? As far as my weight goes I stayed below 130 for awhile but I started to wrinkle , boobs floppy , arms swaying in the breeze, you know what I mean. So I put back on another 6 - 8 lbs. My body looks much better. But I am feeling super exhausted.can't get out of bed. I think from what I'm reading I could be hypothyroid. What do you all think? Thanks Suzy
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-11, 11:04

BF:

Nodules are usually a 'sign' of having the most common type of hypothyroidism, Hashimoto's. The test for that is TPO AB. Just checking TSH is not a good thing (it tests the pituitary, not the actual thyroid hormone levels).

I don't do much thyroid patient advocation online anymore (currently in deep study mode for another degree) and also do it IRL....

You will need to find a doctor who does Free T4 and Free T3 testing and who will Rx. according to those parameters. The ultrasound will show 'what kind' of nodules usually, and some really savvy docs will know what they are looking at.

Out of every 100 women who HAVE hypothyroidism, 98% have Hashimoto's (that's why iodine deficient hypothyroidism hasn't been seen in the US and UK, etc. in a long time). Iodine can 'excite' the antibodies (which attack and destroy the thyroid over time....and then once the thyroid is 'dead' they stop attacking, and go down).

I think you should have the correct tests (not just a TSH) and it took me FIVE endocrinologists to finally be tested correctly (with correct interpretation) and then it took me four YEARS to finally be titrated in dosage (I do not take synthetics) with both T4 AND T3 hormone.

I don't know if I can give a link to a thyroid site here...I'm new here, but not to lowcarbing and I am known as 'nonstickpam107' to others on the internet.

Do we have PM's here? I could maybe elaborate if you pm me?

Pam
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-11, 16:55
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

'nonstickpam107' thanks for answering Neanderpam I don't know what pm means. I appreciate any help I can get. Lately I feel something going on in my throat, usually on the right side, doesn't hurt , feels maybe swollen or something . Is there something I can take from the health food store that would help? What about a special diet for hypothyroidism? Thanks again. Suzy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-11, 20:12

BF:

Um, no, unfortunately there is no 'OTC' for thyroid. When the thyroid 'goes down' you need replacement hormone. Lowcarbing IS a good way to eat though, it's worked well for many.

Get that ultrasound first....cuz you have to have any other problems ruled in/out and then you'll have to go from there. So, first things first. Try not to get too stressed about it....please..hate to see people stressed. Stay away from soy (it has phytoestrogens in it and can really wreak havoc with thyroid function).

About.com has a wonderful thyroid forum (just go to about dot com and look for thyroid disease forum and join up). Also, at yahoo, you can go to groups, and then put in your state (like if I were in Ohio, I'd search in groups for 'Ohio thyroid support group') and join it, because those people will help you to understand, have lists of doctors who help those with thyroid, and so on.

Try to drink lots of water, and don't over stress...I know that's easier said than done, but that will help. I wish you the best of luck. Oh, also, the site stop the thyroid madness is great for research and to gain knowledge.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 10:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks, I'll check out those sites. I went to a Homeopathy Dr. yesterday at a health food store where I live. He told me to look up Gerson Therapy. Said they have clinics but in Mexico, Germany, and something he heard briefly about just over the border to the States. I live in Ontario,Canada. Has anyone heard of such a place, I've looked it up but can't find anything. They wouldn't recommend anything for my thyroid,they said to go to a naturopath,I've done that , I didn't get anywhere & it hasn't helped. I've started to follow a raw food diet again. It seems to help. Thanks again. Suzy
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-11, 12:31

BF:

I put 'yes' for private messages...I think you just go to your CP and then put in the person SC (mine: Neanderpam) if you want to private message?? I think, lol. Anyway, if it works, I'd be more than happy to give you any info I could to help you.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-11-11, 03:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 340/182/175 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default 57 and down 145

I've lost 145 pounds in the past 21 months.
I guess you could say I'm maintaining. I think I could lose another 10 or 15 pounds, isn't that always the case. It seems I stuck. Not gaining but not losing.
I'm happy with the 145. I feel like a new person and at my age too.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 09:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Wow, I have been coming here a long time! But it looks like it's been years since I've posted...I was barely 50 when I started lo-carbing! LOL. Long story short, I had gone up to 170 on my fairly petite frame and lost 40 on Atkins. I see from my last journal post (a few years ago!) that I had crept up to 141 and wanted to lose that extra ten again. Well, my story since then is I never have gone below 140 but have been able to maintain right around 140 - 145 with eating healthy (meaning, very little desserts or junk carbs along with portion control which just seems to come naturally lately, I don't like the feeling of pigging out), and I also try to stay active by walking more and taking the occasional exercise class or just working out with those classes offered on television, yoga, belly dance, zumba, what have you! BUT the last year was very stressful and I let myself go, as they say, and when the doctors scale showed 153....back to induction! I have lost six pounds in two weeks and am feeling great. . For me, I have to stay active though, I think it helps me stay in touch with my body. But, I think I've maintained fairly well through the years.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 10:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Lily
As far as my weight goes I stayed below 130 for awhile but I started to wrinkle , boobs floppy , arms swaying in the breeze, you know what I mean. So I put back on another 6 - 8 lbs. My body looks much better. But I am feeling super exhausted.can't get out of bed. I think from what I'm reading I could be hypothyroid. What do you all think? Thanks Suzy

Maybe you need more protein than what you're getting on a vegetarian diet? You might be burning muscle for fuel.