Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-09, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/145/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Do you find youhave to count calories now

Hi

I'm quite new to the site and am struggling trying to lose 10 pounds or so. As you'll see Ive lost a lot over the past few years by following a LC WOE. I'm just abit fed up that I can't shift the 10 pounds or so that I regained by getting alittle too lax with my eating Do you all think that you really need to count calories once you're over 50 I'm 54 now and just hate the thought of going back to all that counting and stuff. That's what I loved about LC when I started. Any tips to help

Jacki
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-09, 17:38

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

yes, even Atkins says they count.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:

Look over on the Semi-Low Carb Plans, the last page of carb cycling. GetMoney gave me an interesting overview of what he does; and he has been very successful.

Last edited by YourFriend : Mon, Feb-23-09 at 08:08.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 11:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yup, yup and yup.

Carb cycling just was yo-yoing up down of 3 pounds for me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-09, 22:07

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

we are similar in age and stats but I can only talk from my own viewpoint. I am on Atkins 2002 version so this may be consided as I give you my answer.

I do not because of the plan I am doing do any cycles of any kind. I want to eat food every day and enjoy it for the rest of my life. So I am doing OWL step by step with care and attention. I like to remain level with my food for me this was the key to success.

I know you do not want to log or count but how about a couple of week just to see where you are? Myself I have tried to not be so obsessive about logging food limiting myself to periodic check in logging just to see where i am.
I know I have to eat less than 2000 calories or I will not loose wt but I do not intentionally count them just watch them

my losses are slow right now but I dropped 20lbs so fast that I am seriously not worried if I loose the last bit I have to loose over the next six months or so as long as it stays gone forever.

so pretty much now I am 132 50 years old and medium build this is what I am trying to eat right now to loose between 2-3 lbs a month (but I have lately been hitting the high end of my consumption so I am loosing more like 2lbs a month and last month nothing but did not gain an oz!)

really loosing wt does require some math as much as I hate to admit it!
I am aiming for these percentages in the next two weeks I want more carbs so I have to give up some fat
fat 50%-60 (max)
protein around 20-30
carbs 10-15 (up to 20max)
total calories between 1400-1600

I hope this helpss
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 15:46
Registered Member

BF:

This helps very much. I've been kidding myself I think. For some reason I think I've been trying to beat the system and I just have to grow up and face facts. I will count and check if that's what it takes. Can you maybe take the time to tell me what an average day would consist of for you whil keeping to 1400 calories or so. How do you get the fat without the calories

Jacki
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 07:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacki2u
This helps very much. I've been kidding myself I think. For some reason I think I've been trying to beat the system and I just have to grow up and face facts. I will count and check if that's what it takes. Can you maybe take the time to tell me what an average day would consist of for you whil keeping to 1400 calories or so. How do you get the fat without the calories

Jacki

sure (not sure if you meant me or someone else? but I will jump in ) I started a 2 week fitday challenge but it died a most sorrowful death! I will keep track on fitday for few days and report back to show you if you like?

actually it will help me too as I am getting way to comfortable with where I am an need to work on loosing this last bit with some extra effort!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-09, 15:30
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Hidelight I'll start using fitday tomorrow too and see how I et on then. I would really appreciate you reporting back what you've been eating

Jacki
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 06:24

Here you go then three days of "typical" eating for me I am loosing very slowly to be honest have not put the two lbs I lost recently in my sig because I am afraid I will fluctuate and gain it back!

hope this helps I think I could eat less and loose faster but right now I am content not gaining and for sure not wanting to overeat anything! This is plenty of food for me actually (I eat large amts of things!)

Tuesday
breakfast
smoothie made with
broccoli eggs and coconut milk 1 splenda and some extract

lunch
left over steak spinach and green chiles (from the previous night)

dinner
roasted chicken
spinach
garlic butter

Greek yogurt with grated ginger

Calories 1,557
Fat 98.1 880 57 %
Saturated 28.8 257 17 %
Polyunsaturated 8.1 73 5 %
Monounsaturated 27.6 247 16 %
Carbohydrate 19.3 74 5 %
Dietary Fiber 2.9
Protein 146.3 603 39 %
Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %
fat 57% carbs 5% protein 39%

Wednesday
Breakfast
omelet made with bacon muenster and spinach
Lunch
big plate of spinach chips with sesame seeds
Greek yogurt and ginger
Dinner
great big stuffed bell pepper (I put vegetables and cheese along with ground beef in my stuffing)

Calories 1,544
Fat 106.9 956 62 %
Saturated 36.6 326 21 %
Polyunsaturated 6.7 60 4 %
Monounsaturated 30.8 276 18 %
Carbohydrate 33.8 130 8 %
Dietary Fiber 4.9
Protein 110.2 452 29 %
Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

Fat 62% carbs 8% protein 29%

Thursday

Breakfast
leftover stuffed pepper
with some roasted eggplant

lunch
yogurt with pecans

dinner
corned beef and cabbage

Calories 1,597
Fat 115.9 1,026 64 %
Saturated 32.6 290 18 %
Polyunsaturated 10.1 87 5 %
Monounsaturated 40.7 358 22 %
Carbohydrate 43.5 166 10 %
Dietary Fiber 9.9
Protein 96.9 400 25 %
Alcohol 0.0 0 0 %

fat 64% carbs 10% protein 25%
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 08:18
Registered Member

BF:

That doesn't look like a lot of food to me I must eat tons I'll post my fitday when I've completed day three on the wagon so that will be tomorrow. Do you not snack at all then? I'm thinking that yoghurt and pecans would not see me through till dinner. I'm also wondering - do you have quite large portion sizes? As an example yesterday I ate:

3 small bags of pork rinds a can of tuna plus mayonnaise and tomatoes Home made pork and apple burger with salad and very small portion of coleslaw plus I sneaked in about 4 or 5 french fries that my daughter was eating... and 3 vodka and diet cola

Fitday has calculated this as:

Grams Calories %-Cals
Calories 1,502
Fat 70.0 629 42 %
Saturated 20.6 186 12 %
Polyunsaturated 15.5 139 9 %
Monounsaturated 28.5 256 17 %
Carbohydrate 16.9 63 4 %
Dietary Fiber 2.5
Protein 114.8 487 32 %
Alcohol 46.4 322 21 %

I'm shocked at the alcohol percentage and know I need to avoid it. Maybe seeing it in balck and white like this will help

Thanks so much for your support in this We seem to be at a similar stage etc so it's good to compare.

jacki
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 10:26

I put a lot of each thing on my plate trust me I am a BIG meal person and do not snack much at all
Ok what is a home made pork and apple burger?

I looked at what I am eating and at my really nice summer clothing ..I am literaly five lbs from wearing them comfortably (I do not want to have to buy new stuff because of five lbs!!!)
I am also leaving on a trip to a very warm sunny place the first week of April

I think I can cut back 250 calories (see I am watching them I guess) a day (that would be the cream in my coffee I did not mention above but is figured into my fitday)

I am going to try it and see five lbs in a month after sitting at this weight for quite a while and staying at my carb level I can do this! I hope I hope

I can use all the motivation I can get right now
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 06:22
Registered Member

BF:

Pork and Apple burger is just minced up pork with some grated apple and beaten egg then shaped into a burger and fried. Very tasty Lucky you going off somewhere warm. It's freezing in Scotland right now 5 pounds is not a lot as you say but hey here's me been struggling with 10 for months. Although I do think I've been kidding myself about the number of calories I've been eating. The fitday thing is great though. Yesterday I had tuna again and I had bought a new brand which is tuna with sunflower oil but already drained. Inoticed the calorie count drop by 90 compared to the undrained version so I'm going to use that and get the fat by adding a tablespooj of mayo. I was out last night and had a few drinks again so that will have done some damage calorie wise. I'll not b drinking alcohol this week though so fingers crossed. Hope you get a pound or two off with cutting the cream