Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
Registered Member
105.5 lbs in 8 months
Posted by Crowis
Posted Wed, Oct-17-01
Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking 105.5 lbs in 8 months

Greetings and Salutations,

One of the members asked me to write an article here about my successes so far. I've also had a couple people ask me about various things regarding my diet and the weight I've lost so here it is. . .

Eight months ago I weighted 321.5 lbs. I was eating out every night, drinking large amounts of anything. I hadn't exercised regularly for nearly five years and my life was slowly going down hill (but picking up speed). I had tried every diet including the one I am currenlty on before and was so sick of the pain I felt at failure that the thought of going on another diet was enough to make me nearly want to cry.

My best friend Lee and I had been discussing in depth the psycholigical and physiological differences we had noted in people who had succeeded even for a short while (such as Lee who lost 65lbs on the weight watchers diet only to put it right back on again) at diets. We also examined our friends who were already skinny and tried to figure out the differences between our lifestyles.

We came to one conclusion. People who have determination, and hope feeding that determination will be more successful. When hope dies, and determination falters is when people back-slide or fail. However regardless of our multiple conversations we never started or did anything. We would sit at a Shari's (much like Denny's) and eat fudge brownie delights while discussing how to lose weight .

Lee and I argued vehemently about which diet program would be successful, would it be a high protein low carb as I espoused or a low fat/high carb diet such as he believed in. We also argued about exercise. Lee believed in long slow work outs or in his case if it was fast, something that would be managed from home, such as Tae Bo. I argued that only class settings managed enough peer pressure to get most people on the boat long term.

One monday evening (February 19th to be exact) I went to my friends house and we discussed dieting yet again, for the tenth time that week probably. The discussion quickly turned into one of the more nasty arguments we've ever had. Him saying the protein diets were ridiculous and me arguing that high carb diets caused the body to go into metabolic stalls and dead-ends.

Finally I just got tired of it and said. . ."Put up or shut-up". He looked at me and a sly smile crossed his face.

"What are you saying?" he replied.

"One month," I replied. "Atkins vs. Weight Watchers. Tae Kwon Do (which I had chosen) vs. Tae Bo."

"You can't beat me," Lee advised in his best Schwartzenhegger.

"I can and I will," I replied in my best William Wallace.

So for the next twenty minuts we hammered out the following bet. Which was that for one month we would exercise and diet following our own programs. We could take no supplements excepting a daily vitamin and chromium. We could not discuss our poundage with each other. We could not eat under 1500 calories a day. At the end of one month we would weigh and find out who was the winner. If I won Lee had to join my Tae Kwon Do classes and go at least 3 times a week for one month. If Lee won I would have to do Tae Bo with him 3 times a week and buy him 55 bucks worth of Tae-Bo tapes (since my class costs 55$ a month).

We immediately ran to my house and stepped on the scales. I was at 321.5 lbs. Lee was at 278 lbs. Lee being a couple two to three inches shorter than I am agree our fat % was relatively close. Neither of us had been making any pre-diet preparations or adding weight. Being male and within a couple of years of each other we determined this to be a relatively fair contest. Lee brought the contract he had drawn up. . . we both signed. The race was on.

I was temping at a construction in firm in town (both of us worked in the office) at the time so we would both come into lunch. Lee would bring in subway and I would bring some meat-treat and cheese. We would stare at each other across the table adding and subtracting things in our minds. . . who was winning. . . who would bet he victor.

I weighed one week later and a grin lit my face like the Griswald Family House Lights (see Christmas Vacation movie for reference).
I was at 305.5lbs. 15lbs in one week. Lee was toast.

At lunch that day I must have been glowing because Lee got a look of suspicion on his face that made me smile all the more.

"So," he asked nonchalantly, "how you doing."

We had agreed not to mention pounds. So I said, "Lee, I often don't use this word. . .but I would say, Fabulous."

Lee went back to his sandwich.

"So," I said, "how bout you?"

"Pretty good." His face had squinched a little when he said it, I was off to a good start.

Two weeks later Lee gave up and quit. He admitted he had only lost roughly 6 lbs the first week had then gained 4 back and had stalled out. I was up to twenty five pounds by that point. We compared notes.

Lee's calorie counting system had not been working because he didn't feel he could eat what he wanted. He didn't work out ever because he had no pressure to. I had won. But Lee to this day still demands that Weight Watchers and his program are better.
He's right and he's wrong. He's wrong because I know and so do many other people that the WC program is not the best diet. But he is right, he lost becaus he gave up hope.

But, by this time I had noticed some things. My pants which had been tight were a little loose around the edges. My speed and strength had increased a little because of Tae-Kwon Do. My dizzy spells had passed and I was actually more awake and having more fun than ever before.

I continued. I had hope.

I achieved my Gold belt in Tae Kwon Do in April that year, and was down 40 lbs to boot. Most people hadn't noticed my weight loss yet, but because I was determined and hopeful of my future, and since I was enjoying my class I wasn't giving up like I would have before.

I went to the store in May and bought smaller pants. I felt like Michael Jordan walking out of that store with pants, that while still bought in the big&tall section, did not take enough fabric for a hot-air balloon.

I achieved my Orange belt in July. I was 75 lbs down and looking great (for me). People were saying things to me like "what are you doing" etc. I was working like heck and I was able to sleep on my back without choking for the first time in years. My body was responding, my flexibilit was up and I was lighter making it easier to get around on my feet.

I went shopping and picked up my first pair of 44 size waists since Junior high in August. I also found my license from when I turned sixteen and it stated a weight of 238 lbs. I was at that point down to around 230, so this felt great.

Yesterday I achieved my Green Belt in Tae Kwon Do. At 105 lbs down I was slimmer and better than ever. And even though I have recieved a nerve injury to my neck (non Tae Kwon Do related) and until I get done with therapy it hurts, I am still going strong, both in TKD and my diet. Because I can see the end of the tunnel. Somewhere at least.

Things have been tough. I have alienated friends, felt rejection at events where others wanted me to join in the drinking and fun, I've looked in the mirror and realized that even though I have lost over a hundred pounds I still have a long journey in front of me. But through all this I hope to succeed. and that is my greatest assett.

And I thank the stars that my friends and family and instructor have stood by me this entire time and continue to stand with me. . .well at least as far as my weight loss is concerned. Now I try to give others the message that "You Can! If only you realize how wonderful you are. . . cause for godsakes. . . if I can lose this much weight, than so can you."

Sorry that took so long.

Thanks

Mike
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by Ruth on Wed, Oct-17-01, 15:47
Default Wow

Mike,

Thank you for sharing your story. You have done a "fabulous" job with this new WOL and winning different colour belts in Tae Kwon Do.

What a great way to start, on a bet with your best buddy! Hopefully one day you will get Lee converted to LC. There's hope for him. .... and your story was not too long, it was just right.

3 cheers for Mike

Ruth

63 comments [read all comments]

Article tools