Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 19:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/200/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hello, All, and welcomed, Mary and Aleka!

I understand about being able to relate to your own
age group, Mary. The younger people seem to be
able to drop those pounds so much quicker than I
have been able to. But my main goal when I
started on Atkins was to get my blood pressure
down, and that has been accomplished. So, I'm
sure the weight loss will also continue, but at a
slower rate than some of the others in these
forums. In any case, I feel great!

I will be sure to take a look at your journal, Mary.

Best wishes, everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 17:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/275/180 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Talking Hi, I'm over 60..is there a thread for that? Retired and lovin' it.

I live in Northern Michigan and just started planning to lose 95 lbs..would LOVE a pen pal my age or anyone wanting to just talk on here..hope to make a lot of LC pals here..PS is there a list of abbreviations? What is WOE? etc? Maxine
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 18:10

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi All, well I'm sorta retired. I was retired for two years and just went back parttime in Sept. I think we have it a little easier than the younger people trying to work, take care of families and maintain a special lifestyle. With the extra time I can cook healthier and I'm only cooking for myself so that makes shopping easier too. If I had to keep all those hi carb foods in the house for others I know I would get into them. I've lost 30 lbs so far, don't do much exercise, seems one of the disadvantages of being older, achy joints, gets in the way. I'm hoping losing some more will help that. I'm going to bookmark this forum and keep in touch.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 20:02
Registered Member

BF:

Hello and welcome, Maxine. Nice to see someone on this thread, since it seems not many people use it. You'll find that there are sooooo many forums here and a lot of support. It's a great place to come to keep on track.

WOE = Way of eating. You'll find lots of info on abbreviations at this link:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips003.html

Take care and good luck!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 20:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/275/180 Female 64
BF:
Progress:
Smile Thanks for the welcome..

I'll be back for sure..have a good evening..
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 07:14
Registered Member

Stats: 218/176/165 Female 5ft 10 in
BF:?
Progress: 79%

Hi to everyone - we've just returned from a trip to Texas. It was so warm down there. We got back to Ontario just in time for the first snow! We are anxious to get on the road again. Aleka, I took your advice and took measurements before leaving and was happy to see a few inches changed (not my waist tho) even though my weight remained the same. We were faithful to our WOE most of the time and really don't find it any problem. My hubby gained a few pounds, but he enjoys his beer. How are the preparations for the holiday season going for everyone. It seems strange not to be baking up a storm, filling the freezer with goodies. Will keep in touch while on the road
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 18:25
readreddog

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Surely someone in this group will understand that I am totally bewildered. I'm looking for a recipe for lowcarb bread. I've been searching this site for two days and have found many recipes but everytime I print one, someone else says it's terrible. Do any of you fellow senior/retired people know where I can find an LC bread recipe that tastes even half way decent, can be made in a bread machine and doesn't call for 7 different flours and powders I've never even heard of. I live in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and although there are several supermarkets here, they are rather basic when it comes to something other than plain old flour and cornmeal.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 08:01
Registered Member

BF:

Sorry, readreddog.....I have taken myself completely off bread of all kinds. Haven't had a slice for over 6 months. I sometimes make the Atkins rolls, but haven't even done that for a while. Just in case you want to try them, here is the recipe:

Diet Revolution Rolls (makes 6 rolls)

Pam spray
3 eggs separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons cottage cheese
1 package Splenda

Preheat oven to 300 deg. Separate eggs very carefully (make sure that none of the yolk gets into the whites). Spray Pam on a teflon cookie sheet. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until whites are stiff but not dry. Fold in yolks, cottage cheese, and Splenda. (Be extremely careful not to break down the egg whites. Mix for no more than a minute).

Place the mixture carefully on the teflon cookie sheet, gently putting one tablespoonful on top of another until each "roll" is about 2 inches high. Repeat this until you have 6 piles. Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for about 1 hour. Rolls should resemble delicatessen rolls.

Total grams 3.1
Grams per serving .5

(Hmmmm.....come to think of it, I quite like these rolls. Think I'll make some today).
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-22-04, 17:12
readreddog

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Thanks jodarby for the the roll recipe. I can't imagine that it will come out of the oven looking like a roll much less taste like one. Of course, you didn't promise that. I'm going to make them tomorrow. Sorry I tempted you by asking for a bread recipe.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 10:55
Registered Member

Stats: 218/176/165 Female 5ft 10 in
BF:?
Progress: 79%

Hi readreddog and Jodarby-
I haven't looked at bread either since starting this WOL. I will try these rolls when I get home. I do not have a printer available out here in the sunshine, nor do I have paper and pen at this time, but next time we come to "sign on" will make sure I have said equipment!
I thought there were some packaged bread mixes out by Atkins, has anyone tried them?