Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View comments Article tools
1st bloodwork after diabetes diagnosis
Posted by michenry
Posted Wed, Sep-18-02
Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 265/192/210
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default 1st bloodwork after diabetes diagnosis

April 22 I received my diagnosis of diabetes. My cholesterol was, of course, all out of whack as well. My doc presented me with two options. ADA regime or a diet (VLC) & exercise program. I chose the diet route. My starting numbers (4/24/02) were as follows;
50 y.o. caucasian male
Weight - 265
B/P - 140/90
Glucose - 490
Hemoglobin A1C - n/a
Mean Blood Glucose - n/a
Serum Cholesterol - 210
HDL Cholesterol - 25
LDL - couldn't be calculated
Triglycerides - 758!
Coronary Risk Ratio - 8.4

Sept 17 '02
Weight - 220
B/P - 110/68
Glucose - 100
Hemoglobin A1C - 111
Mean Blood Glucose - 5.6%
Serum Cholesterol - 177
HDL Cholesterol - 33
LDL - 122
Triglycerides - 108
Coronary Risk Ratio - 5.4

I'm not strictly following a single diet plan, just eliminating carbs from my diet. I try to limit carbs to under 25 grams a day.

Needless to say my doc and I are very pleased with these prelim results. He asked me for permission to share my case with his partner who saw me right after the initial April blood work and was shocked I wasn't on medicine to control sugar and cholesterol.

I have 20 more pounds to lose and will slowly re-introduce a small amount of carbs to see how much I can process..

All in all we feel this is a good start. The nice thing for me is this wasn't a particularly difficult diet to follow. Sure I miss bread and pasta (and I find the low carb versions of these foods gagacious), but these results are very encouraging and motivate me to continue.

/mh
Article tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Success Photos
Before
Not uploaded yet
In-Progress
Not uploaded yet
After
Not uploaded yet

by JerseyDon on Wed, Sep-18-02, 09:18
Thumbs up

Good for you! It's so helpful to us beginners to see people not only losing weight, but also getting healthier! Thank you so much for sharing these valuable (to us) details.

What does the doctor say is a good number for Coronary Risk Ratio?

Are you exercising as well?

All in all great job!

6 comments [read all comments]

Article tools