Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 05:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Gym rats switching to Curves

Hi

I didn't get a response to a thread I had below. I'm still curious about people who HAVE been going to the gym regularly, and how THEY like curves.

I mean, if you're fit and you've been exercising, how is the comparison to switching over to curves? And do you think it's as effective?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 18:13

BF:

Hi again....

I'd really like to know!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 04:58

BF:

Hi again.

Ok, so no one is answering me. Can you tell me WHY no one is answering me? Is this so obvious? It isn't to me. I did read the whole Curves thread, and I DO see that so many people like it.

I really have concerns that it's not a hard enough workout though.

I honestly hope to hear thoughts from people who are regular gym users who have switched to Curves.

Are there any of you out there? Do you know of any?

I'M A NICE GIRL!!!! PLEASE ANSWER ME!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 10:41
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Sorry, I'm not one and I haven't heard of any.

What I have heard is that Curves might be good for those who haven't done any exercise, or only light exercise but that your body will adapt to it. I've heard it's more of a cardio exercise than anything else, even though there is some moving of machines.

Where, in a gym, or at home lifting weights in my case, you can always add more weights, do different exercises and routines and keep your body guessing.

Beth
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 12:47

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

I imagine you haven't gotten (m)any responses because there probably aren't many people who are regular gym goers (and/or gym rats, workout divas, etc.) who make a switch to a place like Curves. If someone is very into their activities at a regular gym, they would probably be hard-pressed to make a switch to Curves. For someone like me, it's because there is the perception that it would be a step-down in workout intensity/activity (I put this perception squarely on the backs of the ad agency that came up with the Curves commercial. There are still times when it comes on that I think it's an ad for hormone therapy for menopausal women rather than an ad for a fitness facility.)...also, I like lifting weights, and Curves doesn't give that option.

I do know a woman at my gym who did the one-week trial thing offered at Curves, though. She went with her mother to help her check it out as a possible workout option. Her impression was that it was fine for people who just needed that little boost of activity/exercise, but not really for people who were interested in developing or training their bodies seriously. She thought it was probably an easy plan to stick to, and great for her mother, but not something she would ever consider for herself--especially because she felt that if she really just wanted to do a light circuit workout, she could make that happen with the Free Motion cable machines at our gym and still have the option of other activities (e.g. weightlifting, yoga classes, various cardio machines, etc.) offered at the facility for a lower price than the Curves membership.

Good luck. Hopefully someone with their own gym vs. Curves experience will come along to help you out.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:52

BF:

thanks Dex!!!

I AM getting the idea that it's sort of a step "down" for a fit/gym person. However...I find myself wondering if it's better to do a step "down" that is constant and I find fun than to be constantly MAKING myself go to the gym.

I miss the Jazzercise days. THAT was perfect for me.

Until then, I think I'll finish my one week trial and go back to the gym.

thanks again :-)
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 09:35

Plan: My own
Stats: 165.5/155/135 Female 5'2"
BF:Too much
Progress: 34%

I went to Curves for a full yr, religiously 3-4X week and my body fat never changed, my measurements were constantly skewed so I never trusted them...the 3 of us who were going are now doing a workout at home with real weights and I can see the difference already !!
Curves is good for obese and older folks but stick with the gym and you will be much more happier with the results !!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 20:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 327/327/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

Is there a website for Curves Gyms?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 06:50

BF:

I'm finishing my one week trial. Even though I gave the machines everything I had, I never had ONE bit, even a TRACE of that "good" soreness after a workout. I was doing these MAJOR jumping jacks between stations to get my heart rate up.

It IS more fun, but it's not for me.

I think it would be perfect for my sister. Perfect for folks who have 40 or more to lose, or older folks. And the fun keeps you coming for the gentle, (in my opinion) workout.

Just wanted to work this out. The fun aspect of Curves is really attractive, but has to work for me.

thanks
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:26

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

www.curvesinternaional.com

Curves is great and I quit my gym and joined there. Why? Because it works all the muscle groups, satisfies my need for cardio and is perfect for people that can't fit in a workout and need to go at lunch (thirty minute workout). I also have weights at home, plus a training bag, and I play softball and tennis. So it suits me fine...I joined in March and have lost over ten inches so far (I started lowcarbing again in May).

If you need a more intense workout, that is easy. Run in place between machines and do an extra circuit (45 minutes instead of thirty). Also really work those machines hard and fast. You get out of it what you put into it! I also do a ton of sit-ups after I stretch.

~Shelly
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 23:57

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi wordlady

I have had a membership at curves for over a year and I just ended it yesterday.

I found I got bored with the same routines and sometimes I didn't come regularly for that reason...I found myself driving by other gyms I had been a member at and wondering how everybody was doing since I saw them last.

I found the staff at curves to be friendly, but not always that knowledgable.

Also, I felt like sometimes I was not gaining any more conditioning
because you were doing the same thing each time.

Good wishes to you fellow workout people
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 00:49

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I read in someone's journal (I think it was nikkil) that she found the Curves workout not strenous enough.. you might want to check what she had to say.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 07:57

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

wordlady... Curves is DESIGNED not to make you sore! Hydraulics!
If anyone is not getting the workout they want, its because your body is naturally lazy and you have to make it work. There is no stacking of weights and forcing yourself... you PUSH harder, the harder you push... its like stacking more weight.
The commercials are geared towards those type of women because thats where the huge market is.
I know body builders who use the Curves workout.
Have fun.
Tammy
PS: Sorry to those who have Curves staff who aren't knowledgable...that must stuck.
PPS: Yes I was a regular gym rat with a routine and all, and faithful, and didn't see results till I went to Curves. (30 pounds in 3 months and 20 inches.)
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 15:36
Registered Member

Stats: 185/136/140 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm a guy, and thus not allowed at curves but I've heard from some female friends that it's not all that it's cracked up to be. For folks who don't do anything yeah, it's tough I guess and a good workout but from what I hear, they don't let you adjust the resistance on the machines so it's all about # of reps in an allotted time. Whether or not your OK w/that is up to how you work out. There, there's this guy's 2cents.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 16:24

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I think Curves is a joke. Not challenging at all. I went and tried the machines with a co-worker. You DON'T get what you put into it, like they say. It is good for beginners and people who need to get off the couch, but for someone who lifts routinely, it's apples and oranges, and mostly cardio like Beth said.