Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 15:01

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Exercise TV

I found this on Exercise TV today, and I know it's also sold in stores. It's a workout series featuring 3 20 minute workouts. I figured it wouldn't be much of a workout, but the reviews on Amazon were stellar (not a single bad review, and that is rare), so I gave it a go. Oh my was it a butt kicking workout!! She uses a system of 3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs, in 3 cycles. There is no resting and you are moving through the cycles and circuits back to back. I followed the "Biggest Loser Sculpt" with this one and then did a 10 minute core abs and it kicked my butt. Has anyone else done this workout? I can't see myself moving to Level 2 for a bit, but I'm definitely going to give it 30 days and see what results I get. This workout packs quite a punch into a short amount of time. They have the first 2 workouts on Exercise TV On Demand, the 3rd is not there yet, but I know it's sold at Target and on Amazon.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 18:47

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

I haven't tried it. Can I ask is the cardio a lot of jumping stuff? I've had my hip replaced so I have a hard time with cardio DVD's because they have you jumping in place and a lot of other plymetrics.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-08, 18:59

BF:

The cardio consists of jumping jacks, pretend jump roping, butt kick running in place and boxing. It's pretty quick, but you could modify it I'm sure. Her "sculpting" video might be good as it doesn't have any jumping around, but sure gets the heart rate up there!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-08, 14:10

BF:

Okay, I can barely move today Definitely effective!! Going to do another 20 minutes tonight after my walk.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 09:01
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I've been thinking of getting it, myself.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 11:13

BF:

It's AWESOME! I won't be measuring until this weekend, but I know I'm already getting results. I did it Sunday, Monday, skipped Tuesday, and did it yesterday, and will do it tonight. I'm not nearly as sore now as I was, and I am finding my endurance is much better (with yesterdays workout). I would have never thought I could get so much out of 20 minutes. The cardio segments are very effective, and 2 minutes seems like forever But then you move right into the strength circuit and can feel your muscles burning. I'm going to keep going with it for the full 30 days, but I will probably continue to take one day a week off and just do cardio on that day. I have been doing either a walk, Turbo Jam 20 or Tae-Bo in the mornings, and the Shred in the evenings.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-08, 06:16

BF:

Okay, after going months without any weight or measurement changes, this week after doing the shred I lost:

.25" in shoulders
1" in chest
1.25" in my upper abs
2" in my waist
1" in my hips

Hoping I can do it again next week!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 15:46

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 181/173.5/135 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 16%

Do you mind if I post my results of the 30 day shred here with you? I start today.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-08, 15:55

BF:

That would be great!!! I'd love to be able to discuss this with others doing the workout!!! Wishing you the best of luck!!! Happy shredding!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 06:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie
Do you mind if I post my results of the 30 day shred here with you? I start today.

Arnie, how did your first workout go? I found myself so very sore the next day, but worked through it and kept going. I couldn't make it all the way through the first few, so I modified things rather than stopping (on squats and shoulders I held the weights a few reps rather than lifting because my heart was going to beat out of my chest, but now I can make it all the way through). I'd be interested in hearing what you thought!! So far it seems a good sub until I can get back in the gym!! good luck!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 06:54

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 158/136/140 Female 5ft 10in
BF:
Progress: 122%

I've been doing Shred also. It is a killer workout and the one to use if you want real results. My body is transforming right before my very eyes since I've been using it. I'm seeing ab muscles I haven't seen in years...lol

Jillian definitely knows her stuff. I highly recommend this dvd.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 08:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Goddess
I've been doing Shred also. It is a killer workout and the one to use if you want real results. My body is transforming right before my very eyes since I've been using it. I'm seeing ab muscles I haven't seen in years...lol

Jillian definitely knows her stuff. I highly recommend this dvd.

Isn't it awesome??? I just LOVE how I feel after the workout. It's amazing to get so much out of such a short period of time!! I haven't moved onto the 2nd workout yet. I'd like to master the first one, which is a chore!! Glad to see another shredder around!!!! Keep up the great work!!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 08:56

BF:

I am happy to be a "Shredder". I'm from the old school...these are the types of workouts I prefer....the kind that get down and dirty so-to-speak. While not opposed to dance cardio, I personally prefer doing a workout like Shred where the moves don't feel choreographed. And while some would argue that workouts like Shred are not fun, I would say that the satisfaction of feeling like you got your butt kicked in a workout is "fun" to me...hehehe.

No pain...no gain.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 09:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Goddess
I am happy to be a "Shredder". I'm from the old school...these are the types of workouts I prefer....the kind that get down and dirty so-to-speak. While not opposed to dance cardio, I personally prefer doing a workout like Shred where the moves don't feel choreographed. And while some would argue that workouts like Shred are not fun, I would say that the satisfaction of feeling like you got your butt kicked in a workout is "fun" to me...hehehe.

No pain...no gain.

I so agree!!! And Jillian isn't annoying like so many others, and she tells you like it is. At first I thought I would die without taking a water break, but I had to keep telling myself it was less than 30 minutes, and now I don't have a problem. You work a lot of muscle groups in a short amount of time, and the heartrate stays elevated. The best part is that you don't have to be coordinated to do it (which I'm not!!!!) I've had 2 days where I dropped the weights down a few lbs just to make it through, but the next day have them right back up. I agree with you, I find it fun and the feeling I have at the end is priceless!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 10:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misschris
I so agree!!! And Jillian isn't annoying like so many others, and she tells you like it is. At first I thought I would die without taking a water break, but I had to keep telling myself it was less than 30 minutes, and now I don't have a problem. You work a lot of muscle groups in a short amount of time, and the heartrate stays elevated. The best part is that you don't have to be coordinated to do it (which I'm not!!!!) I've had 2 days where I dropped the weights down a few lbs just to make it through, but the next day have them right back up. I agree with you, I find it fun and the feeling I have at the end is priceless!!!

Well I feel like I literally have my own personal trainer right there in my livingroom - and it's Jillian to boot! It doesn't get any better than that. I also love that she has both the a modified and more challenging option for the hardest moves. I can only hope that one day I'll be as shredded as Jillian, Natalie or Anita are in this video. It would also be nice to be as strong and advanced as Natalie is in this workout. She executes the more complicated moves like it's nothing at all! Hats off to her.