Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-07, 14:16

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Fluidity Bar -- Have the Body of a Dancer without Being a Dancer!

OK, so I (yet again) fell for an Infomercial. This time I ordered the Fluidity bar. Check out fluidity.com. It's basically a portable ballet barre -- my flexibility has gone down somewhat, and I know this will help. I've never enjoyed yoga or pilates, but this looks like something I'll enjoy. I've always wanted one.

DH and I are renovating our cellar, part of which will house all our exercise equipment. Finally we'll be able to spread it out! I hadn't told him that he was going to be installing a ballet barre for me. Now he doesn't have to! I do think that I'll do a wall section of mirrored tile, though, so I can check form while doing barre work and also free weights. No, he doesn't know that yet either!

Well, it came yesterday and I did my first workout today. Always in the past I've watched the DVD first -- while sitting on the couch usually with a beer! This time, since there's no room for alcohol in my plan (see journal, if interested), I started on the couch holding the remote. It wasn't even a minute into the introduction when I decided to just go ahead and get my first workout in.

Man, did it ever kick my butt!!! The leg exercises were fine -- grueling, but doable. I was even considering moving up to the Intermediate workout. Then came the ab exercises. Looks like I'll be sticking with the Beginner's workout for a while! I could do maybe 3 reps, rest for 5, another 3 reps, rest for 5, etc. That's ok. It will take time.

I can tell it will do amazing things for my body, though, way more so than the Bowflex (which I still love and will continue to do). With the barre, each and every exercise seems to work your entire body at once.

With shipping & handling, plus an extra DVD for thighs and buns, it came to about $240. Not bad for a piece of equipment that works your entire body. It also comes with an exercise ball and some bands.

PLUS, my company just put a new policy in place for fitness equipment. They'll reimburse you up to $150 a year for the purchase of fitness equipment, gym memberships, weight-loss plans (like WW or Jenny Craig -- yuck!). So, it will end up costing me about $90.

Just thought I'd mention it here, since I did a search and it doesn't seem to have been mentioned anywhere on this forum. I figured SOMEONE out there may have seen the infomercial and wondered about it.

I'd love to have a Fluidity Friend!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-07, 16:58

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Sounds fun! I hope you can find a buddy. Right now I'm saving my $$ for a tummy tuck and a racing bike.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-07, 16:57
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Funny that you ordered one of these.

I was watching the infomercial the other day and thought it looked really good.
When I was young and flexible my sister and I would go to ballet class 4-5X a week and boy not only did my legs and butt look great, but talk about killer abs (I guess to much to wish for at 46 )

Anyhooo--I will be very interested in your journey with the fluidity bar so please keep posting your work-outs and the progress!!

GO! GO! GO!

Lisa

Last edited by cnmLisa : Sat, Mar-03-07 at 17:03.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 07:13

BF:

See? I was young and flexible once, too. And I want it back (at least the flexible part -- too late on the young part!).

Killer abs too much to ask for at 46? I hope not. I'm 52 this month, and I'm sure gonna try for them.

I'll watch this thread to see if anyone else has ordered it, but will put details of my workout and progress in my journal.

I will say, though, that I was not as sore as I expected to be after my first workout on Friday. Today I'm going for it again, along with probably a 1-hour cardio triathlon (20 minutes on the elliptical, 20 minutes on the bike, and 20 minutes on the treadmill).
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 09:04

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Bawdy,
Keep us posted..I'm very skeptical..the problem is there is no progression and I bet it can get boring...and where is the fat burning properties of the routine?

Remember any new stimulus from any kind of excercise will lead to soreness.

If I switch form bench presses to parallel bar dips, my chest will be screaming the next day, even though I have been working the chest with the bench press.

good luck though.

How is the supp situation??
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 09:23

BF:

What is it you're skeptical about? This is not for everyone, but then again neither is yoga, Pilates, step aerobics, rock climbing, marathon running, or any other form of exercise you name. And why would it get boring? Again, I could say the same thing about any other form of exercise you name. What could be more boring than walking on a treadmill?

Believe me, this is only one part of my regimen. There are three levels for the barre -- beginner, intermediate, and advanced. It also uses a workout ball and resistance bands. No, it's not cardio. Neither is my Bowflex or my free weights. What this is is using your own body weight to strengthen and stretch your muscles, and not just your legs and abs. One exercise in the beginner workout (the only one I've done or viewed so far) is to lay flat on the floor, keep your body in a straight line, and then do pull-ups. This works your core, your arms, your chest, your shoulders, your upper back.

I also do my triathlon (mentioned above) for cardio, and my Bowflex and free weights for weight training.

I'm not sure what you mean by "no progression." You get stronger and leaner. The ab exercises are harder than any I've tried before. There's no progression in terms of added weight, but there certainly is progression in the sense that you do harder and harder moves, which burns calories and fat and builds muscle. After my first workout, I was definitely sweating.

And, this will definitely help with my flexibility.

As for the supplements, I'm now taking one high-potency multi AM and PM, 1000 mg Borage Oil (gamma linoleic acid) AM and PM, 198 mg potassium AM and PM, 142 mg magnesium malate AM and PM, 1000 mg Acetyl L-Carnitine AM and PM, and 300 mg Alpha Lipoic Acid AM and PM. I vary with adding other supps from time to time, but this is my base.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 21:52
Beautiful Disaster

Plan: tbl/common sense
Stats: 380/341/299 Female 6'0"
BF:so i've been told
Progress: 48%

Quote:
OK, so I (yet again) fell for an Infomercial. This time I ordered the Fluidity bar. Check out fluidity.com. It's basically a portable ballet barre -- my flexibility has gone down somewhat, and I know this will help. I've never enjoyed yoga or pilates, but this looks like something I'll enjoy. I've always wanted one.

I saw that a few months ago - I was still pregnant at the time. Unfortunately, my big ass weighs a bit too much for it now - another 30lbs and I was going to look into getting it. Only for the simple fact that dancers have such hot bodies, and I know it would be great for toning and such if it WORKED, so please, keep me updated on how it's working for you - I would love to know for when I get into two-ville.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 11:04

Plan: Atkins-none anymore
Stats: 192/190/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hello! I joined the forum because I just purchased the Fluidity package. I look forward to sharing my progress with all of you. Maybe it's time to dust off that SB diet book too.....
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 16:57

BF:

Great! Stop by my journal anytime and we can compare notes. My second workout with the barre was yesterday, and already I was stronger and able to do more.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 16:26

Plan: none
Stats: 138/138/120 Female 5ft 1"
BF:
Progress:
Wink Have you got the dancer's body yet ?

Hi - found your thread very interesting & amusing, my husband bought me the fluidity bar last xmas, it has been in the garage for over a year, still with delivery note attached to packaging, unpacked it all yesterday, had a look & watched dvd's, but put behind settee today. Just wanted to know if you were still using yours & if so have you seen drastic changes in your bod. If & when i do start using it i think i would prefer a different dvd, cos' it seems like you couldn't do all your body parts with these, i wanted to incorporate chest & more arm excercises. I also bought last year the flexi-bar, but haven't used that either, and wait for it a total gym xli, which is under the bed. Hope to hear some good comments about any of these or maybe other suggestions.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 16:35

BF:

Do I have a dancer's body yet? Ever see the dancing bears at the circus? Just kidding! I don't, mostly because I haven't been using it. We're doing a lot of work on the house and it's in a place I can't get at. We're finishing off the cellar and plan to put all the workout stuff there, along with a TV with a DVD player. Where the barre is now there's no DVD player and no room to move.

Funny you should post today, because I ran across the infomercial Sunday morning, watched it for a half hour, and got motivated all over again. I was hoping to clear out some space this weekend and hook up the DVD player.

Geez. Now I feel obligated!

It really is a good workout. I did it regularly for a while, and you sure can feel it. And I really think it gave my upper body a good workout, too. I wonder if you have the same DVD I have?
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 20:20

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

My DH got me the Fluidity Bar for Christmas and I plan on doing my first workout on it tomorrow!

I plan on giving it a full 12 weeks to see how it will change my body. I'm 5'9" and weigh about 167 right now. I'm wearing a size 12 in pants and larges in tops.

Anyway, it would be fun to see what your progess is as well in the upcoming weeks!

- Jody
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-08, 14:37

Plan: LC/IF
Stats: 180/173.8/150 Female 5'9"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 21%

I did my first Fluidity Bar workout yesterday! It was weird because it didn't feel like I had done really that much (although the ab part kicked my butt and I can't do the moves all the way yet, but I WILL!), but within several hours I was already feeling sore! It's great to feel soreness in my love handle area today - I know it targeted that area and I would LOVE to get rid of the muffin tops!!! My legs, arms and abs are sore, too, so there's proof that the workout, although "subtle" should help firm me up. I say "subtle" because the lady on the DVD says that word several times, but it's still difficult, too. Maybe that doesn't make sense to someone who doesn't do this workout. It was only my first Fluidity workout, so we'll see how the next one goes tomorrow. I can see how it's going to take some time to be able to do all the moves and to do them at maximum intensity. I like that I'm trying something that's different and that's considered a total body workout!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 07:39

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Your putting me to shame - i am still in the process of watching my dvd's - did you get 4 dvd's with your fluidity? I watched the advanced one last night, using the bands & ball, think i am gonna give this one a try, if it's too much i will go to beginners. They look like they sweat a bit on the dvd, the fluidity supposed to be better for burning calories than the Supreme Pilates, which i was very interested in. I am gonna go for it tonight you have inspired me.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-08, 08:02

BF:
Progress:

Hi Bawdywench - i have 4 dvd's i ordered the whole package, these are seat & thigh, beginners, intermediate, advanced. I must say i read your profile & you are only 1 year younger than me but look 10 years younger, that's what not having kids does, they mess with your body & your head. Trying to get around this site as best i can, not done this before, it doesn't help that i am from the UK, no-one i know knows what the fluidity bar is, yes we are behind the times.