Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-17, 19:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Interesting study done on low carb with exercise

This is from the art and science of low carbohydrate performance. Its interesting and important because look at the huge difference adding in exercise to your low carb diet and the fat it burns. After seeing that image I immediately hit the gym today and did 40 minutes of cardio. I thought I would be fine just on a strict diet but why not add in 30-40 minutes of cardio 5-6 days a week if you can and get the max benefits of ketosis.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-17, 20:00

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Makes sense. Like Dr. Atkins said, find something you like, and you'll keep doing it.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-04-17, 03:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Adding any type of exercise is good for general health reasons, but this study was not done using cardio, only resistance training. The goal was a decrease in body fat percentages.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-17, 22:03

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Janet's right. Cardio is good, but resistance training will build muscle. It actually doesn't take that much to see a positive benefit, either.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 07:03

Plan: Atkins / Keto
Stats: 278/235/190 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

As others have said, Weight training is what gives those result. Cardio is good and you should do it, but cardio burns WHILE your doing it, weight training will keep your burn going for hours after the fact plus the more lean muscle you have on your body the harder it is to fatten up again.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 07:20

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

I did that throughout my Atkinsing in 2004-5 (and beyond). I'm certain it assisted my rapid loss of 60 lbs.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 09:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The graph is interesting showing resistance training (anaerobic) combined with diet. I have limited any cardio or aerobic exercise to very short bursts or sprints in favor of resistance related movements, and I have noticed a real difference. First, lengthy cardio exercises don't really help me unless I want to prepare for endurance workouts such as distance running. Second, I feel as fit as I've ever been with simple resistance training that focuses on legs, arms, and core and performing the workouts in much less time than I required when I was distance running. Third, for me, resistance training doesn't involve weights and I do most of my workouts using no props other than an occasional resistance band or flexible ring. Fourth, there are many easy ways to get in a workout in a hotel room for those of us who travel using these approaches by doing pushups, lunges, squats, ab work, etc. in a very short time frame, as you don't require a lot of space or equipment. Pilates and yoga are also very good forms of resistance training that increase flexibility while strengthening your core. All good things that people can do most anywhere.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 09:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think cardio plus resistance exercise is best. Whatever might be going on with my lean mass, I definitely feel better if I get in at least a couple of miles of walking per day. Endurance exercise also does preserve lean mass, it's just that most people have already gotten all the muscle-preserving activity into their day to have already gotten all the benefit they're going to get from that level of resistance.

One problem with endurance training for lean mass preservation during weight loss, I guess, is that the weight used for the exercise is by definition going down, this deloading during normal day to day activity might be part of the reason that people lose lean mass when they lose weight in the first place.

If you look at a one rep maximum calculator like this one,

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other7.htm

if you take an exercise where you can do 10 reps at 80 pounds, they calculate that you can only do 1 rep at 102 pounds. If you can do 5 reps at 90 pounds, that's 1 rep at 98 pounds. So you could see how weight loss could really reduce the lean mass protective effect of incidental squatting in and out of chairs and stair climbing etc. in normal day to day activity, relatively small changes in weight used translates to massive differences in intensity.

One other thing--weight training can be intimidating, but the prescription doesn't have to be. There are a number of studies showing that even at 30 percent of one rep max, there's a good anabolic effect from weight lifting, comparable to the effect of training at 80 percent of one rep max. That's something like 25-30 reps to failure, compared to say 8-10. The most important factor seems to be that the exercise needs to be done to failure. I use both rep ranges. One advantage I like about the higher rep range, is that the earlier part of the exercise pretty much counts as a warm-up. Also, even upping the rep range just a little bit gives you a better pump, that helps to stabilize and protect the joints. Another advantage is that it's easier to do some exercises at home at the higher rep range. If I fail during squats at a 10 rep range with a barbell while alone, that's pretty risky. With a 20 plus rep range, I can do squats holding dumbells at my sides and just let go when I'm done.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-25-17, 09:23

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I think cardio plus resistance exercise is best. Whatever might be going on with my lean mass, I definitely feel better if I get in at least a couple of miles of walking per day. Endurance exercise also does preserve lean mass, it's just that most people have already gotten all the muscle-preserving activity into their day to have already gotten all the benefit they're going to get from that level of resistance.

Good point, as I've substituted distance walking for running and it does make a big difference and complements my resistance training. It's much easier than when I was into chronic cardio doing distance running trying to achieve a negative split by running the second half of the distance faster than the first. The walking/ resistance approach is so much simpler and the results are better in a shorter time frame. No more charting times and keeping a log.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
One problem with endurance training for lean mass preservation during weight loss, I guess, is that the weight used for the exercise is by definition going down, this deloading during normal day to day activity might be part of the reason that people lose lean mass when they lose weight in the first place.

If you look at a one rep maximum calculator like this one,

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other7.htm

if you take an exercise where you can do 10 reps at 80 pounds, they calculate that you can only do 1 rep at 102 pounds. If you can do 5 reps at 90 pounds, that's 1 rep at 98 pounds. So you could see how weight loss could really reduce the lean mass protective effect of incidental squatting in and out of chairs and stair climbing etc. in normal day to day activity, relatively small changes in weight used translates to massive differences in intensity.

One other thing--weight training can be intimidating, but the prescription doesn't have to be. There are a number of studies showing that even at 30 percent of one rep max, there's a good anabolic effect from weight lifting, comparable to the effect of training at 80 percent of one rep max. That's something like 25-30 reps to failure, compared to say 8-10. The most important factor seems to be that the exercise needs to be done to failure. I use both rep ranges. One advantage I like about the higher rep range, is that the earlier part of the exercise pretty much counts as a warm-up. Also, even upping the rep range just a little bit gives you a better pump, that helps to stabilize and protect the joints. Another advantage is that it's easier to do some exercises at home at the higher rep range. If I fail during squats at a 10 rep range with a barbell while alone, that's pretty risky. With a 20 plus rep range, I can do squats holding dumbells at my sides and just let go when I'm done.

Helpful information. Weights definitely have some benefits for these reasons. I just have a hard time getting them into my carry on!