Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 11:25

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:
Default MBT shoes for Plantar fasciitis?

I've got persistant plantar fasciitis in my right foot, and it's driving me insane. Mornings are torture, and I can't do any sort of serious exercise. Does anyone know if a pair of those MBT shoes would help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-07, 23:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/184.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Don't know what shoes you're talking about, but take ibuprofen, keep it iced and stretched and wear shoes as much as possible, even inside your home. I find that excercise helps it and the only thing that makes it feels worse is not doing any. It takes a long time to heel.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 06:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What are MBT shoes?

Downward-facing dog yoga pose is the answer to all my plantar fascitis problems today...

(That, and Rolfing, and Neuro-muscular massage therapy, and The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies.)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 07:39
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I've heard of MBT shoes, but don't know if they help plantar fasciitis. I know it took me *months* to get rid of my plantar fasciitis when I had it years ago. When I feel it might be starting to return (anytime I get the slightest twinge in my heel) I start doing the exercises again and make sure I'm wearing my orthotics regularly.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 16:57

BF:
Progress:

I've had PF in the past, and last time it took three excruciatingly painful injections into the sole of my foot to cure it. Stretching etc can reduce the pain slightly, but doesn't stop it.

I tried on a pair of MBT shoes today (they have a sort of curved sole, so you can roll from heel to toe), and for the few minutes I was wearing them, I felt no pain. Doesn't mean they will work long-term, but at this point, the cost is looking worth it. I've asked them to order a pair of the sandals for me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 17:02

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I also had the injections just last week! It has helped alot but not all the pain is gone. I will go for another injection in about a week. That should be the end of it the doc said for a while.
I would call the doctor because it takes alot to heal on your own. These shots as painful as they are were a blessing!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 17:07
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

The MBT shoes did help me with my PF and I love them but now I think I have another foot problem related to the shoes. I tend to get PF frequently and it does go away on its own with regular stretching, icing and trigger point therapy but I do think the shoes helped.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 09:52

Stats: 222/210.8/160 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 18%

When confronted w/ PF, I did a LOT of online research - esp w/ support groups. THEY said the injections should be a last resort ......... and so when the podiatrist said "hello, glad to meet you, let me give you a shot" - I said no thanks.

I got insoles for all shoes - the $20 kind - and I NEVER went barefoot. Orthopedic physician said to even wear plastic shoes into shower. Yes, losing weight would help - but that wasn't easy.

That was 10 years ago - and I have no problems anymore. I still wear insoles, I still don't go barefoot....and I never had a shot.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 09:41

BF:
Progress:

I never go barefoot, and I usually wear a pair of custom made $400 insoles. I do the stretching and rolling on a golf ball and all that, but just about the only time I had no real pain was when I was skiing.

Believe me, I'm not keen on the injections. After the last time, the receptionist asked me if I'd like a cup of tea because I was probably thirsty after all that screaming!

If a pair of shoes can do anything useful, I'll go for them.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 01:37

Stats: 295/265/157 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I have had terrible PF in my right foot for a solid year- a few months ago it was to the point it was debiliatating. I thought about going to a doctor but ultimately was too embarrassed with the inevitable blame on my weight. So I bought a pair of CROCS, the real ones, not knock offs. I had no idea they were popular- they just felt really cushy on my foot. I gave my foot lots of rest x 3 months, and lost 22 pounds thus far...but I must say, the pain is gone! Those CROCS are amazing!! Now, if I walk to much or run a bit, I do still feel some heel pain but nothing like before, where the pain would go on for days, and be almost unbearable. Those CROCS were the best thing I ever bought- I feel as though they gave me my life back. And losing even a small amount of weight has already made a difference in what my foot will tolerate. I can't wait for it to become a distant memory!!
No shots!! Buy CROCS!! :>}
Susan
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 11:54

BF:
Progress:

Too late! I already bought the MBTs. Yesterday was the first day I got wearing them for much walking, and I've got to say, I really feel it up the back of my legs today. DH says I stand much taller when I'm walking.

Too soon to tell if they do anything useful for the PF, but I'll keep you posted.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 20:22

Stats: 295/265/157 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Good luck and keep us posted!! :>}
Susan