Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 17:19
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Looking for yoga accountability partners to share with

Would you be interested?

I just started doing a weight loss yoga DVD, and I'm a super giver-upper when it comes to exercise. I could really use a group of friends to share with, was well as share tips and tricks, etc.

Anyone game?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 17:49

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi there! I do beginners AM yoga everyday. And Yoga for Weightloss with Adrian at least 3 days a week LOVIN IT!

Who is your instructor on the DVD?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 18:42
The Patient Loser

BF:

Hi!

Bob Harper from Biggest Loser. I chose this DVD because I heard it was very good for beginners, which is what I am.

Is Adrian the one that is on TV in the morning?

Whereabouts in CA are you? I'm in Riverside County, SoCal.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 19:06

BF:

I hope he is good for you. He actually has a nice voice so he should be good. The voice is important. I do Barbara Benagh. Its a 3-cd pack....her am/pm is really nice. I think it's been about 6 weeks and I can totally see and feel such a difference in my form. You may (like me) feel totally clumsy at first and wobble but stick to it....hopefully you will make the time every day and come to enjoy it as much as I do.

Someone here recommended Yoga for Weightloss with Adriane...she is pretty tough (in a good way)....I found a few on youtube by her that I alternate. Her voice is kinda irritating but tolerable. Now I'm wondering who is on TV every morning and what channel. Ill do just about anything once

I'm a true SF "Valley Girl". like "totally". Were almost neighbors..."howdy neighbor" LOL
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 19:21
The Patient Loser

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDinCA
I hope he is good for you. He actually has a nice voice so he should be good. The voice is important. I do Barbara Benagh. Its a 3-cd pack....her am/pm is really nice. I think it's been about 6 weeks and I can totally see and feel such a difference in my form. You may (like me) feel totally clumsy at first and wobble but stick to it....hopefully you will make the time every day and come to enjoy it as much as I do.

He does have a nice voice. I think I would probably hate hearing the same voice every day if it was irritating! I occasionally get irritated when he chatters about stuff in between pose changes, but it's not like he's wasting time, the changes come at the right time anyway so no biggie.

I'm planning Monday through Thursday every week, with a rest on Friday-Sunday. Not ideal, but they are the only days that no one else is using the living room. I'm hoping to stick with it every week as well, I already enjoy it much more than any cardio that I've ever done. I think this is just my speed--very challenging, yet not so difficult it's discouraging.

Quote:
Someone here recommended Yoga for Weightloss with Adriane...she is pretty tough (in a good way)....I found a few on youtube by her that I alternate. Her voice is kinda irritating but tolerable. Now I'm wondering who is on TV every morning and what channel. Ill do just about anything once

I'm hoping to get to that point where my body just WANTS to do yoga because it feels so good. I must confess I'm not there yet, but I intend to push myself every M-Th to make this a habit for myself.

Quote:
I'm a true SF "Valley Girl". like "totally". Were almost neighbors..."howdy neighbor" LOL

Hey dude.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-14, 20:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodo
I already enjoy it much more than any cardio that I've ever done. I think this is just my speed--very challenging, yet not so difficult it's discouraging.

I'm hoping to get to that point where my body just WANTS to do yoga because it feels so good. I must confess I'm not there yet, but I intend to push myself every M-Th to make this a habit for myself.

ya ... I have a problem with intense Cardio myself....its just not enjoyable! Im fine at 3.3mph on the treadmill about now
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 06:47
The Patient Loser

BF:

I think because I've never really been an exercise person--ever--my body doesn't do well with high impact. Last time I did cardio stuff was on my Wii and ended up hurting my shoulder for over a year. Not worth it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 06:57
The Patient Loser

BF:

It's Friday so no yoga for me---well maybe I will, but a little later if I do.

Hey----do you guys use grippy gloves at all? My hands always want to slip in downward dog position.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:00

BF:

Quote:

Hey----do you guys use grippy gloves at all? My hands always want to slip in downward dog position.

if your going to invest in anything....get a mat, block, strap ( in that order ). If you feel like your going to slip your spreading out too far in front....bring your hands closer in and when you "push" your hips back plant your feet....try it really quick for a minute....see if it works

Last edited by SunnyDinCA : Fri, Jun-06-14 at 11:11.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:16
The Patient Loser

BF:

Quote:
if your going to invest in anything....get a mat, block, strap ( in that order ). If you feel like your going to slip your spreading out too far in front....bring your hands closer in and when you "push" your hips back plant your feet....try it really quick for a minute....see if it works

Thanks! I have a mat, but not a block or strap--I don't even know what those are. I have been bringing my hands closer in, but I thought that might be messing up my downward dog pose.

Oh hey---I did my yoga today. I really felt like I wanted to this morning, so I did.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:31

BF:

Quote:
I have been bringing my hands closer in, but I thought that might be messing up my downward dog pose.

Oh hey---I did my yoga today. I really felt like I wanted to this morning, so I did.

think upside down V when your feelin' your "dawgie" and remember your "center point" is your hips (butt).

A block helps when you cant touch your feet with your hands with straight legs ( you can use a few books too ) a strap will help you with the on your back poses and will assist you again with straightening your legs if you cant grab your toes with your hands ( you can use a regular leather belt too )

I'm surprised Bob doesn't mention these things in his Beginner's video....
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-14, 11:42
The Patient Loser

BF:

Nope---he's kept me in the dark so far. But then again, I'm only on level 1, so maybe he'll mention it later?

Thanks for the explanation, though. I'll take a look around for those things.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 16:45
The Patient Loser

BF:

Ok, I think he doesn't mention them because he doesn't the same poses over and over. I read the negative reviews on this DVD and the general consensus is that it's not 'real' yoga, but rather it's strength training using yoga poses. I'm ok with that, my body is really out of shape, so I could use some lengthening and toning of my muscles for sure. I'll work through this one for 6-8 weeks, I think.

I started looking around at YouTube videos for yoga and I think after I'm done with this video I'd like to try Yoga by Adriene. Is that whose videos you use?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-14, 17:37

BF:

Quote:
I started looking around at YouTube videos for yoga and I think after I'm done with this video I'd like to try Yoga by Adriene. Is that whose videos you use?

I ALWAYS do Barbara Benagh every morning and some evenings....I do Adriene 3 or 4 times a week. She is hard....and she is kind of annoying (she talks way too much)....I have a few links in my gym log if you want to take a look.

As far as the remark about Bob....most think the same about Jillian and her "yoga" video.....some trainers just need to stay in the gym
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-14, 07:57
The Patient Loser

BF:

Hey! Ok, I tried Barbara Benagh this morning and wow--she is hard! I think I got just as much of a workout that I do with the weight loss yoga dvd for sure. I'm sitting here sweating! I decided to try her because I wanted a quieter workout. Barbara's voice is quite smooth and soothing, where Bob's was just grating on my nerves. I'm positive I'm PMSing right now too. LOL