Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-13, 05:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/206.4/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Question Don't know where to start.

I am wanting to tone up and am considering weight training. However, I have no clue where to start to educate myself on all this. I went to the gym yesterday with my husband and he showed me how to use the machines, but now I need to figure out what order to do them in and such.

I'm somewhat confused because I read in an article, "Never work the same muscle groups 2 days in a row"....then later in the article it was saying to do a complete body, head to toe, workout each time I go. So does that mean to not go 2 days in a row?. Then I see / hear people write / say "today is leg day" or "chest day", etc. Do they just concentrate on leg exercises or the whole body basic, then concentrate on leg exercises. Sheesh...I'm already lost but hope to accomplish this soon.

Also, considering I want to tone AND lose weight, shouldn't I still do cardio?

I'm so lost. Any help out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-13, 06:31

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

With Weight Lifting, everyone kind of figures it out on their own. It's kind of like dieting in a way. For some people (my better half for instance), a low cal, high carb diet with 30 min of cardio every day works. For me, not so much. I just don't have the motivation. So the most important thing to do is to do what you like doing. What ever you do (within reason), will work.

As for picking a routine, search the web. There are lots of good ones out there. Find something that makes sense to you and stick with it for six months. In one way lifting is more scientific than weight loss as trainers keep meticulous data on what does what and can be more authoritative than those who say "listen to your body." You'll be able to tell in six months if it is working, maybe three. The flip side is that web traffic is dominated by 20-something men who want to get "totally shredded" and go by what sounds nice. So you'll be able to find lots of websites that say exactly what you want to hear but at least you can see if they have numbers to back up their claims then you can look at your own results and see if it is working for you.

As far as LC and lifting, there are few resources better than The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance, http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Scien...e/dp/0983490716

If you do weight lift, cardio is required at the beginning of the workout to break a sweat. Not much, just about 10 to 20 minutes, but enough to get the muscles "warmed up" and the body ready to work properly. Time between workouts is short enough so that the muscles don't have time to "go back" but long enough such that they have time to recover. It's during the recovery that you actually build muscle. For most people that is 48 hours. Elite athletes reduce their recovery times with ice baths, pharmacological help, etc.

"Do they just concentrate on leg exercises or the whole body basic, then concentrate on leg exercises."
There's a long answer to this. I'll try to keep it short. Yes, people do have leg days, back days, etc. Two things. You'll tend to work from the inside out. Shoulders, to arms to forearms as you need to have relaxed arms to do shoulders and relaxed forearms to to arms. Similarly for legs. You should work each muscle two to three times a week. So do you want to go to the gym three days or six? If you go six days, you can have leg days vs. arm days. If you go three, you'll do everything in one workout but spend a lot of time in the gym those three days. IF you do three long days, you can run/bike the other three.

Last "toning" is just muscle mass to fat mass. Can't lose much more fat? Bulk up on muscle and you'll be more toned. As a bonus here is a progress pick I found on reddit yesterday http://imgur.com/a/Mcpzo#2
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-13, 06:01

Stats: 274/206.4/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Thank you, inflammabl, for your response. You have answered all my questions and now I know which direction I want to go. I am highly considering going three days a week to the gym for cardio and weights, then do some type of cardio here at home for at least 2 more days a week.

Thank you so much for all your help!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-14, 03:00

Stats: 235/210/195 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 63%

One of my favorite programs is You Are Your Own Gym, it is a body-weight workout system that focuses on different workout types (ladders, invervals, supersets and tabatas) and different muscle groups (push, pull, legs, core). It was created by a Special forces guy named Mark Lauren.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-17-14, 11:14

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Mark Sisson has a free ebook that takes you from complete beginner and has both weight training and cardio advice. It's really balanced.

Also, he shows exactly how to line up your sessions during the week, how to assess where you are and improve from there. and how to go from beginner to expert (progressions) for the exercises.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prim.../#axzz2tbGuJnPd

weights 2-3 20 min sessions per week
sprints 1-2 10 min sessions per week
low level cardio 2-3 hours per week

#6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-14, 10:43

Plan: looking for advice
Stats: 140/140/126 Female 1,62
BF:
Progress:

You could also try something like an exercise DVD and get some kettlebells. Sometimes it's easier to work it out at home alone before you launch yourself into the gym environment.