Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-06-11, 16:27

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Hoping someone will help a cardio hater

Hey everyone..
My husband and I have begun working out again and I'm focusing way more on muscle strength and toning than cardio. I simply hate cardio. All forms. Mostly because I hate sweating.. I don't *mind* walking but.. eh. I could do without.

My question is how much of the muscle strengthening/toning/building I should be doing. I'm not trying to look like a female hulk, but I would like to slim down and look sleek when this is all said and done (when I get to goal, whatever that is).

Yesterday I did bench presses and bicepts, what feels like a little shoulders, and hip aductors and abductors. I was planning on doing legs and back today but I am simply just pooped from yesterday. My entire body is sore! I like it, but I want to go in and do everything that I possibly can and not wimp out. I'm wondering on what days I should do what if I'm only going, say 4 times a week and skipping a day between..

Arms and chest one day with abs, skip a day, legs and back, skip a day.. then abs and what? Go back to chest and arms??

To clarify what I'm doing.. I'm doing enough weight to be able to do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps (depending on what body part it is.. biceps, for example aren't so easy for me but I do the absolutely most I can). Someone help! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 10:13

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

I am still a bit of a novice, but here is what I do:

I work out M-F and take the weekends off. I do weights M-W-F and I do simple low intensity cardio TTh.

On my three weight days, I do all over body weights: kettle bells swings, squats, lunges, biceps, triceps, abs, inner and outer thighs, shoulder press, back press. I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps, at the highest weight I can safely do 10-12 reps. This takes only 20-30 minutes.

On my two cardio days, I take it easy. One day a week I just walk on the treadmill, at about a 3.5 pace, 5-6 incline, dor 20-30 minutes. The other day, I climb a stairmaster for 20-30 minutes.

I have been doing this six weeks. I haven't lost a pound (I am at goal, anyway), but I can see muscles in my arms, my back doesn't hurt, my stomach is flatter, my ass is tighter, my collar bones are showing and my hib bones stick out. So, it is working for me. Plus, my bp is down from 115/75 (pretty good) to 105/65 and my resting pulse is down from about 75 to 65 now.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 05:57
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

Hello there!

I am kind of new to exercise. About 6 weeks ago I started seeing a personal trainer at my gym and when I first spoke to him I stated that I didn't want to do any cardio, a) because I hate it, b) because I have a heart condition and it hurts to do hard cardio, which is why I hate it and c) because I don't believe doing cardio is the best way to lose fat, but building muscle is. He completely agreed with me and has put me on an excellent weight lifting program.

My current program consists of back squats, Romanian deadlifts, bench presses, bent over rows, split squats and normal deadlifts. I do 4 sets of 8-10 reps and the exercises are grouped in pairs so I alternate the sets with a 60-90 second break in between, ie I do 8-10 reps back squats followed by 8-10 reps Romanian squats, rest then repeat 3 more times then move on to the next pair of exercises.

In the past 6-8 weeks I've lost a little weight, but more importantly my body fat percentage has reduced, I've dropped a dress size and I'm losing inches from my hips, bum, thighs and belly. I'm getting muscle definition and although I still have a way to go in terms of fat loss, I feel amazing.

I train 3-4 times per week, normally Tues, Thurs (when I see my PT), Sat and/or Sun. On my non-training days I might go to the gym for a swim which is the only cardio exercise that I enjoy.

For someone who is relatively new to weight lifting, I would recommend getting a personal trainer if you can afford it so that they can show you how to lift weights with proper form and they can devise a program to meet your needs.

My advice is to stick to what you enjoy doing otherwise it won't last long. I have hated exercise for so long because I thought that I had to do intense cardio in order to be fit, but I absolutely LOVE lifting weights and want to lift as much as possible! If I could do it every day I would!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 09:38

BF:

I love lifting, too!! SO much actually!

Unfortunately, I don't have the money to get a personal trainer.. And the gym i currently go to is a chain in the area and the trainers/staff hardly ever walk around to check on people. The gym I used to go to in my old (smaller) town, the staff and trainers would walk around and would actually let you know you were doing something wrong so you could get the most benefit from it and tell you WHY you should do it a certain way. Definitely miss living in a smaller town.. LOL

I'm going to look up some videos and articles online and see if I can't learn myself how to do these exercises. I have a friend at my local bar that goes to the gym a lot, he's freaking stacked, and we've asked him if he'd go to the gym with us, but he (like me), is a total loner when he works out.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-11, 11:48
Paleo and proud!

Plan: Paleo / Primal
Stats: 210/175.6/168 Female 70 inches
BF:40%/34.4%/30%
Progress: 82%

I'm a loner when I work out too but only because I have no one to go with! I'd love to work out with someone else

I'd recommend finding a series of workouts that change every 2-3 weeks so that it keeps it all interesting and then watching videos online to see how the exercises are done properly. When my PT gives me a new exercise I watch a video the following day just to remind myself. Or, if you can save up for one session with a PT, you could ask them to observe your form and give you feedback and advice.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 06:25

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

LStump, something that's worked for me is to approach other people in the gym who are doing a weight that looks interesting and ask them about it. You've got to time it right though, you don't want to interrupt their session! Everyone has always been really nice to me and explained what they were doing and why they liked it...I've incorporated many things into my workout that way, and met some nice folks. I hope this helps!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 07:04

BF:

Thank you for all of the suggestions!! I have yet to really go regularly. Last month saw 13+ hour work days and we're moving tomorrow so we haven't had time yet. After the move should be perfect, though. Everything will settle down. I'm excited to get back into it!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 13:25

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Another cardio hater here! I've simply never done cardio and probably never will.

It's good to see that fadaducks and Oblong have found routines that they like. Oblong seems to have really landed on her feet with a good trainer and workout routine.
Seeing how you dislike cardio, I think Oblong's routine would suit you the best but nothing is set in stone and you may decided you want to add walking and stair climbing at a later diet if you really get bitten by the fitness bug.

Sue made a good suggestion with asking people about exercises. I would suggest you stick to the big exercises so as not to clutter your routine with lots of isolation exercises.
Do they have many machines at the gym? You dont need to be so concerned with technique with machines but still be careful though. Look for the following machines.

Squat or leg press machines.
Deadlift machine.
Chest press machine.
Row and/or pulldown machines.

They will build strength and really work your heart too.
They could make up the bulk of your routine.
Train 3-4 times per week.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-11, 14:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 164/140/128 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress:

If you like lifting everyday, you may be interested in the P90X program. A friend is doing it and he's really shredding adding muscle.
I looooove heavey weight lifting too, and I hate tooo long cardio so I found a balance, 15 minutes before weight lifting and 15 minutes after. So I'm not bored to death and it's actually working good on my VO2. I do it at 178 heart rate so I sweat big time and I warm up my muscles at same time. The second 15 minutes is around 155 heart rate. I may begin to hate it more and more so I might stop cardio one day, but for now I stick to it
Love you heavy lifters who understood the real way of losing weight!