Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-18-17, 19:16

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 184/167/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default First timer on HFLC diet

Hello! I entered my journey to weight loss on April 27th. This is my first attempt at HFLC. So far so good. Starting weight 184 and in 2 weeks lost 10 lbs. I have since gained a pound at the end of the third week, and I havent cheated. No bread, no potatoes, no rice, no sugar, no fruit.....well, half an apple once in awhile. After the fast initial start it's seems I've stalled in the weight loss dept. Is this usual?

It's been a fascinating journey and am exploring lots of new and creative recipes. I do miss eating fruit as that was a big part of my diet before. I indulge in 1/2 to 1 cup of strawberries. Miss my apples!!

Anyway, glad to be aboard!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 02:25

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorCarbs
I entered my journey to weight loss on April 27th. This is my first attempt at HFLC. So far so good. Starting weight 184 and in 2 weeks lost 10 lbs. I have since gained a pound at the end of the third week, and I havent cheated. No bread, no potatoes, no rice, no sugar, no fruit.....well, half an apple once in awhile. After the fast initial start it's seems I've stalled in the weight loss dept. Is this usual?

Hi and welcome.

This is completely normal, yes. That would be mostly water weight you're shedding at first. Glucose binds very easily to water in the body, so when there suddenly isn't so much glucose around, your body can let go of plenty of water in fairly short order. Things do tend to slow down a bit from there, but you'll be losing more fat from then on as well.

If you're looking for recipe ideas, dietdoctor.com is a pretty good resource as well as the recipe section on this very forum. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 05:06

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

hiya no more carbs, I made this little graphic a couple days ago to illustrate another point but it will serve here. After the initial and normal water (and a little fat) loss that happens to most, some but not all will go up and down, but in the long run, if you continue to eat this way, probably down or at least to your "normal" weight what ever that might be. And by "the long run" I mean at least a year - a good time to reassess.

Good luck! You will do well.

#4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 05:57
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello and Welcome, NomorCarbs!

Ditto everything, Grav and thud said about weight fluctuation! When the scale doesn't move doesn't mean you aren't losing "fat" b/c that can be represented in how loose your clothing is becoming... a super terrific NSV (no scale victory)!

You said you've eaten "half an apple once in awhile"... that could be one of the reasons for your stall, IMHO... apples are kinda high in carbs... there are better fruit choices out there like berries and melons.

Wishing you much success on your journey to better HEALTH!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 09:32

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 184/167/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thank you for your encouraging words. I am committed to making this a permanent life style choice. I mentioned apples as they WERE a staple in my daily diet....and I can't find a good substitute on low carb. Berries and melon ok, but just not the same. Some people find that bread and pasta are the hardest to give up, but for me it's fruit.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 10:30

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

you wrote: "...committed to making this a permanent life style choice." This is something that you can't know, at least the permanent part. I find it easier to just do it for one day and have an easy, open attitude about it.

You will change. All things change.

I hope you find this useful and a way to relax on your new path.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-19-17, 14:18

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 279.5/178/199 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 126%

Hello and Welcome,

Ditto to what all others have said. I started LCHF early Feb and I stalled during weeks 3, 4 and 5 BUT it did kick back in. It was like my body was waiting to make sure I was really committed before letting go of the weight.

I'm not much of a bread or pasta gal myself but I love sugar (all things chocolate). It has been hard at times but mostly, it has been pretty easy.

Good luck to you.

Keep journaling, it seems to really help me stay focused.

Kathy