Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 09:12

Plan: Arthur DeVany
Stats: 217/195/164 Female 180cm
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Bad Knee :(

I have been out running over the last few weeks, nothing more than 3 miles as this is my limit at the moment but me right knee is shattered it feels slightly puffy and I was in pain getting up from cleaning the oven this afternoon

Does anyone have any ideas on exercise I can do whilst waiting for it to recover?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 09:33

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyD
I have been out running over the last few weeks, nothing more than 3 miles as this is my limit at the moment but me right knee is shattered it feels slightly puffy and I was in pain getting up from cleaning the oven this afternoon

Does anyone have any ideas on exercise I can do whilst waiting for it to recover?
Perhaps you could try the advice and exercises suggested here for Runners Knee. HTH
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-12, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

Depending on the degree, most runners often just back off. Either less distance or slow the pace or both. If you cannot walk on it, you should not run on it.

Wearing a brace -- those wrap around velco ones often help. If it does not provide enough support, etc, you may not want to run on it.

Wearing a brace all day is also helpful. The compression helps reduce the swelling and it warms the knee. Resting the joint -- elevate it to reduce swelling.

Swimming might work -- provides exercise to strengthen the joint and is very low impact.

Other than that really not a whole lot you can do. Again if you cannot walk -- weight lifting on the knee is not a good thing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 08:05

BF:

Thanks guys, I can walk on it ok with no pain, its stairs that are bothering me and getting up/down off the floor. maybe will just got a light walk when the winds die down, I might get blown away at this rate!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 09:15

BF:

Getting loads better, even went to zumba last night with no pain and dont feel bad today. Think I will go for a run tomorrow and see how it fares! xx
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 07:48

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyD
Getting loads better, even went to zumba last night with no pain and dont feel bad today. Think I will go for a run tomorrow and see how it fares! xx
Hope the knee is better now. Even if it is you might be interested in this book: Treat Your Own Knees: Simple Exercises to Build Strength, Flexibility, Responsiveness and Endurance.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 20:36

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

I'll probably get flamed for saying this since lots of runners seem to hang out here...but here goes...chronic running sucks! It is a high impact activity that grinds your joints into talcum-powder. Not to mention stress fractures to feet. My advice is ditch the running. Stick with weight training and low-impact cardio.

Though running occasional sprints should not be an issue for a healthy person.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-12, 21:22

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/245.4/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 57%

*hitting the imaginary LIKE button*
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-12, 15:22

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/183/182 Male 187
BF:
Progress:

Don't forget the magic of...fish oil!
Swelling and inflammation reduce immediately (literally), as reported by Charles Poliquin in one of his posts on omega 3s.
Take up to 20gs (3-5 tbsp) of liquid fish oil - it is much easier to get such high amounts that way than by consuming capsules. I always use it in my training and increase the intake dramatically once I have an injury. It works.

Good luck and stay healthy!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-12, 15:23

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/183/182 Male 187
BF:
Progress:

sorry for posting twice