Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 05:06

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 225/181/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Yummy egg trick

I've been getting bored lately with my staple scrambled eggs and cheese (despite introducing a lot of other breakfast foods into my rotation). I used to love this dish, and was a little discouraged that it's losing its appeal for me.

So I tried something new yesterday. For some reason, I've never heard of this one before, but came up with the idea and gave it a shot. I've eaten it for breakfast two days in a row now, and can't get enough. I think I might have eaten this before, but nobody told me what the secret was.

...I added sour cream.

Suddenly I've got Addictive Eggs! The only problem is that I think I'm gobbling them down too fast because they taste so good!

I did four eggs, a dollop of sour cream, and some muenster cheese. And YUMMY!!!!!! I'd recommend this to anyone else who's bored with their eggs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 06:34

Plan: Atkins-esque
Stats: 200/158/150 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

I've added sour cream after cooking the eggs, and that's good, but I've not tried adding them while cooking ... I'll have to test that one!

I'm not quite sick of eggs yet, but it's getting there. I made some flaxseed muffins today and they were okay. A little chewy, but I'm going to try upping the oil or adding sour cream to them to balance them out a bit better.

Someone suggested adding cream cheese to eggs. I tried that but it wasn't my thing, though I love cream cheese!

Thanks for the suggestion.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-09-06, 04:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/216/190 Male 70.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I'll try the "yummy eggs" approach. Right now, I fix scrambled eggs with Parmesan-Romano cheese on them. Really good. For a real change, I warm up a half of a can of corned beef (NOT hash!) and fry three eggs sunnyside up in a separate frying pan. I use butter and olive oil to fry the corned beef and just butter for the eggs. When they are done I just put them on top of the corned beef on a plate and eat them with a spoon. Some good!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-17-06, 00:43

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 227/213/175 Female 5ft
BF:starting size 20
Progress: 27%

Yum I love corned beef, the eggs over corned beef sounds good I am definetly going to have to try that.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 21:39

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofritz
corned beef (NOT hash!)
I've made some, I thought, good hash with chopped onions and cauliflower. It really was good. Fried it, of course. I cooked the cauliflower for a while first, as of those three things it takes longest to cook, then the onion, then add the corned beef..
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-07, 18:30

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareny
I've been getting bored lately with my staple scrambled eggs and cheese (despite introducing a lot of other breakfast foods into my rotation). I used to love this dish, and was a little discouraged that it's losing its appeal for me.

So I tried something new yesterday. For some reason, I've never heard of this one before, but came up with the idea and gave it a shot. I've eaten it for breakfast two days in a row now, and can't get enough. I think I might have eaten this before, but nobody told me what the secret was.

...I added sour cream.

Suddenly I've got Addictive Eggs! The only problem is that I think I'm gobbling them down too fast because they taste so good!

I did four eggs, a dollop of sour cream, and some muenster cheese. And YUMMY!!!!!! I'd recommend this to anyone else who's bored with their eggs.

i jay rtry this... have you ever put hot sauce on scrambled eggs? i like it
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-07, 18:31

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofritz
I'll try the "yummy eggs" approach. Right now, I fix scrambled eggs with Parmesan-Romano cheese on them. Really good. For a real change, I warm up a half of a can of corned beef (NOT hash!) and fry three eggs sunnyside up in a separate frying pan. I use butter and olive oil to fry the corned beef and just butter for the eggs. When they are done I just put them on top of the corned beef on a plate and eat them with a spoon. Some good!

this sounds good too
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 14:57

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

We eat eggs and sour cream a lot. There's something equally or even more delicious, though...My dad always used to do this when i was a kid to our eggs- cream cheese. Add some cream cheese to the eggs right before they come out of the pan, so it gets all melt-y. Veryyyy good.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-07, 10:08
Registered Member

Stats: 210/210/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

this was "EGG"CELLENT!! (ha ha that was dumb)
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 07:19

Plan: south beach
Stats: 248/227/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Good ideas! I get tired of eggs quickly!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 21:05

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 257/232/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

I had an omlette similiar to this at a restaurant in Lake Tahoe. The omlette consisted of eggs (of course), smoked ham (like black forrest) and diced green chiles (ortega mild green chilies). This is mixed in the egg, cooked, and cheese is melted down the center. It was topped with sour cream and it was delicious!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 21:26

Stats: 175.0/132.2/135.0 Female 5'6"
BF:less than before!
Progress: 107%

I throw a tablespoon of Hellman's mayo in my scrambled eggs before cooking them and I usually add a splash of Frank's Red Hot sauce before putting them on the plate. They are so fluffy and the flavor is awesome! Very addictive!

I have not tried sour cream, but now I will. Thanks for the tip.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 22:15

Plan: Trying to Decide
Stats: 227/227/160 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I cooked up a bit of onion, added one of those "finger" sausages which I sliced really thin, then added some black olives and cooked it all in coconut oil . Took it out of the pan, whipped 3 eggs with 3 T. cream, poured it into the pan (I used CO.) As it cooked I kept lifting the edges to let the unset eggs run under to make an omelet. Then I added some sliced cheddar cheese, put the onion mix back in, folded it over. It was the best! omelet I've ever had...really!

Last edited by grannyscat : Sat, Jul-07-07 at 22:27.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 22:40
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I sometimes add either pesto, or some enchilada sauce (green or red) to my scrambles. That's pretty good. Helps to add something else with a little more texture if you do though, like small-diced cheese or chopped chicken or something.

Walmart sells these sausages in the deli section, they are pre-cooked chicken sausages with various flavors; I like the jalapeno and pepper jack. I take off the casing, slice them thin, and grill the slices in the pan in chili oil till browned, then do the egg scramble in that pan so they have those flavors added.

One time I put a few pepperoni slices (I get the large sandwich pepperoni in the deli and have it sliced on 10 (normal is 25 I think) so it's real thin) on a paper plate, nuked it for 1 min so they were crispy, then made an omelette and put those and some mozz and the tiniest bit of spaghetti sauce in it and red pepper flakes on top. (I should have added scallions and black olives!) It was like an omelette pizza and surprisingly good.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 16:11

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 107/103/99 Female 4 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

For a quick and tasty scrambled egg, I spray a microwave safe bowl with vegetable spray (like Pam), crack an egg and scramble it with salt and pepper, and then add one American cheese slice torn into pieces and pepper jack cheese (slivered slices to taste) that really makes the egg tasty. Microwave for 55-60 seconds. Easy to make and easy to clean up!