Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-10, 11:28
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%
Default Ketone Sticks and Ketosis

Does someone have an already written answer about ketone strips and ketosis?

There have been a few ketone questions on some different threads re: ketones, color/no color, why am I not losing....

I'm running out the door and don't have time to formulate a good reply.

Soooo...if anyone has an already ready post that would be great!!

The only place the success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-10, 01:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Great post going to come back!
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Feb-07-10, 11:26
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%
Default How 'bout a Chocolate-Free Valentine's Day this year?

I don't have much to say on the ketosticks - just that I tried them way back in the beginning and soon realized there wasn't really any correlation between the sticks and weight loss. So, I tossed them.

But - wanted to post something in here for newbies...

Re: Valentine's Day -

Might be a good time to casually mention how you really don't want any chocolate this year. My very first Valentine's Day on Atkins, my husband didn't get me chocolate, and I was relieved.

I bought him chocolate though, and he hid them somewhere and had to keep slinking off down the hall and eating them. I could smell it and was teasing him about these shenanigans. It wasn't easy - so I'd even suggest not giving anyone chocolate either, especially if you're going to be around that person.

There's lots of romantic gifts and ideas that don't involve chocolate - doesn't matter if it's as silly as a heart shaped quiche for breakfast or as extravagant as some new perfume or cologne.

Anyway - stay away from the chocolate - not worth it! Of all the 'off plan' things you could potentially eat, something like chocolate has the *greatest* potential to de-rail you because it'll activate those horrible carb cravings, and you might have to go through a mini induction-flu all over again - that is, if you can get straight back on plan. Not worth the risk.

So, here's to a chocolate and sugar free Valentine's Day this year

-->editing to add: I mention this because I remember how it was when I first started out, not everyone took my new 'diet' all that seriously back then. As a newbie, it's easier for people to just buy you a treat and not think of the fact that you're trying really hard to lose weight.
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Dec-19-10, 22:59
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I thought it might be a good idea to bump this to the top because in about 2 weeks we will be inundated with all the newbies starting their New Years resolutions.

Perhaps those that were newbies last year can post some of their new found insight of their past year.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Dec-23-10, 07:22

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Nice bump Lisa.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Dec-23-10, 19:33

Plan: <20 net, <1518 cals
Stats: 351.5/230.2/165 Female 5'11"
BF:5’11”
Progress: 65%

epic thread! I would also like to see how last year's newbies are doing!
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-10, 09:54

Plan: Atkins/hcg/CNS/Diabetic
Stats: 305/288/220 Female 5'7"
BF:Try, try again!
Progress: 20%

Don't be obsessive about the scale-it's a sure way to derail your efforts and ruin your day. Try to stay away from the "I haven't lost anything, why am I trying so hard" mindset. In this game, patience REALLY is a virtue. Some will lose much slower than others (I am a slow one)-try not to compare your losses against others-even if you lose 1 lb to someone elses 5 lbs, it is still a step in the right direction.

Last edited by mirinblue : Wed, Dec-29-10 at 10:12.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-10, 22:33
Registered Member

Plan: low carb.
Stats: 191.5/155/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 116%

One thing that I didn’t see mentioned was to get a food scale! I barley use mine anymore unless I’m baking but in the beginning it really helped. Measuring out a cup of broccoli is a pain but after weighing it a few times you can tell how much is a cup with out measuring. It made my life so much easier during induction.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-10, 00:55

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

WOW! This thread is fabulous and there is much wisdom here. The only thing I can add:

If you need to eat out alot due to your schedule or what have you check out the websites of the places you frequent the most and find out the nutritional info and carb counts of the food you think you can eat and have a game plan of what you will eat before you get there.

One of my downfalls on sticking with maintenance has been eating outside my home, so I have been creating a list of foods I can eat at the different fast food and restaurant establishments. I have been very surprised at some things. For instance...two of the fast food places I thought I could eat a grilled chicken product I found that the nutrition info said that the chicken had a carb count of 7!!!

I've also got a list of yummy lc snacks to keep on hand for when attending meetings or gatherings at other people's homes - not just a dish, but a line-up of foods.

In other words, be prepared no matter what and if you are prepared ahead of time you will be less likely to stray off plan.

Again, GREAT thread!!!
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-10, 12:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

To bring up a point I haven't seen covered yet:

You will learn to cook. And you will like it.

I don't know of anyone successful who hasn't explored the land beyond deli meat rollups. It's easy and simple to grill a hamburger patty and nuke some veggies (with butter!) but over and over again I see people attempting to live on whatever they can grab or make in 1.5 seconds, and then complaining their food choices bore them.

Remember, it might take some time at first, but with practice you can put together a lovely, tasty, nutritious meal in less time than it takes to wait for the pizza to arrive.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Dec-30-10, 12:25
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

I don't know of anyone successful who hasn't explored the land beyond deli meat rollups. It's easy and simple to grill a hamburger patty and nuke some veggies (with butter!) but over and over again I see people attempting to live on whatever they can grab or make in 1.5 seconds, and then complaining their food choices bore them.

Remember, it might take some time at first, but with practice you can put together a lovely, tasty, nutritious meal in less time than it takes to wait for the pizza to arrive.

Good one!!!
I can say from my own experience that I was a fast food addict and until I was willing to see that and admit that I needed to learn how to cook, I was doomed to keep repeating my old ways.
  #72   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-10, 19:46

Plan: vlc
Stats: 272/272/152 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:let me look, yep
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucasquare
epic thread! I would also like to see how last year's newbies are doing!

I was a this year newbie ( started 2/1/10)..and although this past month with the holidays, I have done horrible and am getting back on track, I hope to hit that 100 pounds down mark soon in 2011...great thread btw and good luck to everyone in 2011...I have met some wonderful people on the forum, got some wonderful advice and tips and so much support and encouragement,,
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-10, 21:45

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

Very well said.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Dec-31-10, 22:10

Plan: LC
Stats: 260/218/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Definitely!
Progress: 38%

Nice thread and great bump, cnmLisa!

My two nuggets of wisdom:

1. The cleaner I eat, the less I suffer from cravings. When I'm making a choice, I consider whether I want to deal with cravings later. Usually, the answer is "Naaah, not worth it...".

2. Don't focus on what you can't have. Focus on all the good stuff you CAN have!
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jan-08-11, 16:12

Plan: HCG,Atkins
Stats: 210.8/194.4/145 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:56%
Progress: 25%

Great thread and advice!

I started my journal and keeping My P.L.A.N updated daily. It really helps me keep track of my meals.

I'm just having some water retention issues but, I am working on that such as limiting my salt and bacon to 2 slices/day, and changing to low Na+ bacon. Even prior to LC, I have all sorts of trouble with it with, and even worse in the summer due to the heat and the combined salt consumption no matter how little.

Shell