Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 07:16

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

LADY PALS- FRIENDS!

Leeann- I love David Ramsey- I am using his system actually to get outta debt. Unfortunately- without going into large detail- the last 3 months I lived on plastic for everything- basic living expenses. I didn't like it- I only use them for emergencies. I didn't like the idea of car living- HYST!

But I should be good to go again by early next year. Just VERY thankful to be getting a paycheck now! And doing what I love- the hold out was worth it. Can you imagine had I taken that job in Charleston- where the nurses are required to STAND when a doctor walks in. hahahahahahahahahahah NOT!

I am so sure you figure out what is going to work for you. My goodness girl- have you thought about just how far you have come???!!! You of all people- will find your niche in all of this.

Blue- GF- sure hope this week end of rest - is thing that gets you to feeling better!
I love the fact you have found your 6/1 working. I think the key for you is it's one meal- not a carb wild day off. Good for you. then maybe down the road after all the holiday's you might want to tweak it if you are in losing mode- but you may not! You seem to be able to take life by the reins and squeeze the most out of every event! The poet in you- LOVE IT

Trig- You and I GF have a carb allergy- meaning like you I can't do a meal, nibble, or cheat- it shows up in spades. I am resigning myself that for right now I am right there with you- basic eating until I hit the place Leeann is in!

OMG- "so glad she has a gun in her hand than a cell phone!!!" I miss the HYST- I get ya though- I like firearms too, and have them. My son is now a collector- I gifted him with his first shotgun- he goes to the range all the time. So having a farm- would be cool to do some target practice! No wonder we call you Annie Oakley!
BTW- I am still waiting to hear how dear meat taste like. Do you LIKE it???

Lori- put that margarita down- ! It's only 9 am!!! hahahahah

Charms- where did you say you lived. So do you cook everyday?

Meme- OK- nice to meet you too- details- details- for us "newbies" that don't know you- what's your story?

All-
so one of the books I picked up yesterday was on Menopause- OMG- struggling with PERI Hello- I need to find some answers. It is now really disturbing my life.
So I was reading that some women like me- get put on low does birth control 365- to just stop periods all together. Then they are to stay on it till 55 years old.
I have never heard of that- I always thought that was dangerous for 45 and over? So I am of course doing research on that. So for you ladies that have "crossed over" any thoughts? I do know that I need to do something- hemorrhage is not acceptable-

My bloat is Almost gone- and just a pound up from my low- working it down- but I am not beating myself over this month- body confusion- TOM twice- new job- stress- expected it would be a stall month.

I have crack slaw on the menu to make- and meat balls for later in the week- and a roaster chicken. I want to do a large amount of pre-cooking for the week today- and then freeze- and store. So it's ready made and LC! just add salad.
So I guess I am going to HAVE TO ASK for the INFAMOUS /MEME fried chicken recipe!!!

Mr. Big- wants to take me out for steak tonight- my body could use the iron- no complaints. He is ever SO slow growing on me.
You are right though BLUE- as always- Someone who treats me wonderful, respectfully, and sweetly, with humor- is better than a flash in the pan jerk!
You are also right in the comment that I can now peer into roots and long term. Now that I am getting settled- make goals going forward, maybe volunteering, or just meeting people. Kick gypsy living to the curb- done with that.

Ok all- Filled my fridge full of wonderful LC- for the week.
Will have pork chops this week too.

Have a wonderful day ladies!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 07:18

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz66
So Leeann- you eat for the day at 2:30 and done????/

I eat- light- I do mean light- snack about 130 with girls at work- and light dinner-

Weekend- I eat 1 meal between 3-4 and done- but 2:30- are you hungry????

You rock GF- You are doing great

Depends on the day, but my natural way of eating is coffee in the morning with hwc, stevia and sometimes butter (anywhere from 6:30-7:30AM until 9-10 AM- usually nursing one travel mug over this period of time), then "breakfast" at around 10, then a final meal anywhere from 1-3. That is my PREFERENCE but circumstances dictate whether or not it is so. When Dh is home for dinner and we do a "family meal" I will tend to eat something small, but when he is working late, I will feed the kids and not eat. Social meals also tend to be at night and I will eat then as well, almost always. I could sit there with just coffee or something but, for me, the social experience is important and something I wish to preserve. But yes, I don't prefer to eat dinner and go to bed full and my body seems to have adapted to that and doesn't look to eat after midday. If I do feel hunger, I might have a decaf and of course I never refuse to eat if I KNOW I am hungry. That to me is one of the great benefits of eating LC vs something like WW- on WW I was HUNGRY, on LC I don't have to deny myself food, ever.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 07:45

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori, I second what JAZ said, put down that drink, it is not 5'oclock just yet

Jaz---dear meat? Or deer meat? HA HA HA you had me laughing reading that. Yea hubby has cooked some tenderloin that was delish. He had sausage made from some but WAY too spicy....his next deer is being processed now and told the butcher to cut WAY back on that sausage spice. we got a good haul in the freezer with more to come hopefully.

Good deal on your LC foods. It is so important to have those meals readily and easily available. I never do leftover beef, all my beef must be fresh cooked but I can do leftover pork and chicken easily. Just me I guess

Nicco......oh boy I hear ya on WW.....I lost so well on LA Weightloss, 70 lbs but starved. Point blank starved. It was carb restrict with calorie restrict. YES one can lose but every single moment I thought of food and my hungry tummy, I could not maintain at all. I hit goal of like 169 and within a month I was 180 again...and then up from there

I think one of the worst ways to lose a stinking lb. is by starving! I can't ever go back there again and won't. I would rather be fatter again then do the starve thing, ain't happening for this old gal. I flittered around doing my LAW again, cause in my mind I lost so well, ate what I wanted in super controlled fashion and small portions, and then I thought, WHY DO THAT AGAIN cause the end result was gained 95% of it back! Nope, useless in my eyes.

Dieting/food control is not for the weak....no kidding. You would think that wouldn't be true but it is --- food issues are massive among the populations. Yet so many can't do it, ever, that elusive maintain and control for life. Yes we can lose, we all done that, but can ya keep it off?
Woof it is ruff!
  #64   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 08:20

BF:

Oh Lord, Meme, No! Not five children! I would have completely lost my marbles! Family of five, three kids.. They are DD21 (K), DS18 (C) and DS14 (T). One is living in the same state about 45 minutes away, one is a senior in HS and one is a freshman in HS.

Blue- I really like your plan and in fact am considering something similar for myself as a more long-range idea for coping with maintenance. I am considering reading about things like carb nite and carb cycling and seeing how I think that might work for me. Like you said, my "now and then" was becoming "here and there" and that was not good. Also, having a little more of a plan would help me to see that this was a known entity vs something to feel guilty about. I really am happy that this is working for you! What are you reading right now?

Trig- you made me laugh commenting that you would rather a gun in your kid's hand than a cell phone! lol!!! I totally get your intention there though. DS14 has to have two good (as defined by us) quarters of grades to get a cellphone and IMO he didn't make it first quarter, so he is going to quite the sad fellow. Don't care. And once he does earn it, grades go down, he will lose it. Your kiddo seems super solid with grades. Ds14 got his tail kicked starting HS. He is in a bit of shock. "Shock and awe!" lol
I agree with you re:Ny strip- to me those tend to be tough and not much flavor. Much prefer a ribeye as well.

Jaz (again)- One option you might want to look into is a uterine ablation. I know some people who were in the situation you are in did that and had really excellent results. I (and this is purely JMO) would hesitate to take bc pills for a long period of time, or really at all, but again, that is JMO.. I hate putting anything into my system that I don't have to. Lord knows what the long term effects are of many manufactured drugs they say are safe.
I know you will do super well getting things paid down and paid off. D.R. is an extremist for sure and I don't abide by his every word but his general advice is sound. I think you managed yourself very well for the situation you were in!
Have fun with Mr B- a steak dinner sounds great! Report back how it went.

•••••••••••••••••

Things are going well here.. much better. I feel like I am leveling off a bit on the adjustment back over. Starting to get comfortable again and moving back into old LC habits. Feeling less "lost in the woods." Down a pound today and comfortably back in the low end of my range. Baking two sheet pans of bacon right now- will eat some along with yogurt and store the rest in the fridge for the week. Yum! Nice to have bacon again after five weeks without!

Easy and quiet day on tap today and looking forward to it! Not sure at this point what my plan is for Halloween. My original thought was allowing myself to have candy, limited to a one hour period, and call it done. I'm not really feeling it so much right now though. At the same time, I know myself enough to know that sometimes restriction backfires on me and that frustration comes out in eating crap I don't even want so much a day or two later. So I will dwell on that today and try to winnow out what is the best option for me to follow.

Dh is not in a good place right now, food wise. If you all recall, he did a lighter version of LC with me some time ago and came down to a range he felt comfortable with. However, he is now a good ten pounds above that range and seems to be having some trouble reining it in. Yesterday when we went to the pizza place around 1:30, for example, he ate his personal pizza and then his scoop of ice cream on a cone (he ate crust, regular ice cream, and cone) but then he also ate dinner later and his dinner was just dismal (I didn't cook since DS14 ate a personal pizza at 3 and was going to a dance that night that had food)- Dh ate peppers dipped in ranch and then a slew of french fries. For breakfast he just had some sausage links (maple) and TWO chocolate chip muffins. The problem is he is combining LCHF and eating carbs. Not a good idea. He is not hugely overweight at all or anything (6'5" and around 245-250) but he was aiming to be around 235. I try not to say much, nothing more annoying than someone at home chiding you about what you are eating, but still.

Last edited by niccofive : Sun, Oct-30-16 at 08:32.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 09:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Whirrley~ So you're Trigger who had horse avatars from time to time?
Nicco~ I have 4 children.
Blue~So happy you have made good use of that oven fried chicken recipe and yes I did read about it many times.
If anybody needs it again,
Meme's fried chicken- season chicken thighs, completely cover with mayonnaise, roll on all sides in the crushed pork rinds. Place in roasting pan and bake uncovered at 350 for 1 hour? or so.
To limit mess I crush my pork rinds in the bag. Rolling pin or can will do the job. Back and forth and all over until the rinds are a fine powder. Some may put them in a food processor but I'm all about quick clean-up....
It comes out of the oven like real carby fried chicken, but guilt free and only a tiny bit of carbs from the mayo.
edit: You need to use thighs with skin on because you need the fat to have it oven fry. Breasts don't work well....

I bought a whole chicken this week and intended on making the fried chicken but ended up cutting up 3/4th of an onion in slices and putting the chicken on that to bake. It is so good that way and easy....yes, the onions are a bit carby but the drippings with the onions were to die for, BUT I need to cut back on the onions and go back to using only green onions or spring onions for garnish and less carbs. But, of course I didn't eat a whole 3/4th of an onion by myself but only a tiny bit on the breast meat. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it

Last edited by Meme#1 : Mon, Oct-31-16 at 00:02.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 12:06

Plan: ZC (started w/Atkins)
Stats: 164/132.8/124 Female 5x2"
BF:27%
Progress: 78%

Hey there everyone!

Whirrlly~~where in the Southeast do you live? I'm in Virginia. I am a ribeye lover too NY Strip are just not as tasty to me!

Jazz~~you crack me up lol! I cook everyday because I am home taking care of mom but if I was working I would do bulk cooking! As it is quicker for that setting.
As for your taking BC for menopause I would think twice, really those chemicals are very hard on the body, research how herbs can help!
Enjoy your date! & tell us all about it!

Nicco~~l totally agree with you about going to bed full! Yuck! Glad you are feeling better! Think twice about eating that candy halloween you might regret it.
Your DH will see how great you are doing & follow suit soon (fingers crossed) but your right nagging him about what he eats is not good!

Whirrlly~~I totally agree with you about starving yourself to loose weight! That is depressing & painful! You are also right about keeping it off so I hope everyone here can find what works for them!

Meme~~that recipe sounds amazing! tyvm!

So mom & I went to church this morning & came home. We are both tired from doing the "Trunk or Treat" thing last night so I see an afternoon of being couch potatoes for us both lol! We handed out over 300 little baggies of candy & I let mom do that so I didn't feel so hypothetical since I do consider candy a poison & would not eat it myself (& have not eaten it for a few years)

I am still trying to figure out LC & how exactly to do it for me. I am forcing myself to eat & feeling uncomfortable because 1000ish calories is not enough I have been told. I ordered some Magnesium Citrat which may help with bowel issues related to impaired regularity...I hope as it has been a few days lol

I hope you all have a great Sunday
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 12:21

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Charms, Did your DANDR book come with the cardboard tear out carb counter?
Use that to make out your shopping list for the grocery store, then take it with you to double check, or bring your book which I have done many times.
The most important thing about this WOE is having the food supplies on hand.
I remember when I first started it was a little over whelming, wondering if I was doing this right.
Seriously, the book was my bible. I opened it at least 5 times per day and still do. Every answer is in that book.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Charms, Did your DANDR book come with the cardboard tear out carb counter?
Use that to make out your shopping list for the grocery store, then take it with you to double check, or bring your book which I have done many times.
The most important thing about this WOE is having the food supplies on hand.
I remember when I first started it was a little over whelming, wondering if I was doing this right.
Seriously, the book was my bible. I opened it at least 5 times per day and still do. Every answer is in that book.

I got the e book...maybe I should order the book book! tyvm!!!
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 15:46

BF:

OMG- I have been typing for almost 45 minutes and it just disappeared! DAM!
GRHHHHHH
Mr. BIG
stood me up- no call no text- long story- but yes I am mad. Now he is trying like mad to back track- sorry- no respect- NEXT!!!!!!

I spent 45 minutes writing out the situation- maybe I really just needed to write it out and it was not to be seen! Oh well- NEXT-

Yes Trig- sometimes DEAR meat is to be eaten...... HYST HYST HYST ........

110 on plan today! And feeling good about it
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz66
OMG- I have been typing for almost 45 minutes and it just disappeared! DAM!
GRHHHHHH
Mr. BIG
stood me up- no call no text- long story- but yes I am mad. Now he is trying like mad to back track- sorry- no respect- NEXT!!!!!!

I spent 45 minutes writing out the situation- maybe I really just needed to write it out and it was not to be seen! Oh well- NEXT-

Yes Trig- sometimes DEAR meat is to be eaten...... HYST HYST HYST ........

110 on plan today! And feeling good about it

gurrrrrrrrr...OK! Mr Big needs to be drawn & quartered!!! I hate it when this happens & at least he could be sorry & give some kind of excuse/reason!...sigh...you are right Jazz...NEXT!!!
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 17:02

BF:

Meme- I'm sorry to read about the loss of your son. ((((((((Meme)))))))) Yep, that's the recipe..YUMMO!!

Jaz- What the heck? Did he just forget (thus no call, no text) or what? I'm sorry you wrote and it didn't show up but I really wanna know! Is that really it for him?

I had a MAGNIFICENT linner today. I made the Cornish Hen, basting it with butter and spices, and ate the legs (teeny!) wings (teenier!) and itty bitty little thighs. I also made green beans in McSteamy and tossed those in pink salt and butter. YUM! It was so good. I actually made happy noises. Finished it all off with about 1/3 cup Lemon Halo Top.

It's almost 7 now and I am a little hungry but not enough to eat a full meal, so I just made a decaf in the Keurig to tide me over to tomorrow. At the time I was eating I felt stuffed but that chicken and green beans must not have added up to much somehow.

Today has been a really fine day. Nice walk with the dogs, gorgeous unseasonably warm weather, reading outside in the sky chair under the tree, watching football with the hubby, a nice hot bath. What is not to like about a day like that?!

DS14 has 7 boys coming over tomorrow night to have dinner and go Trick or Treating with him. He has requested "walking tacos" for their dinner. I might make some homemade applesauce to go with it.

PS- Hey JAZ! I earned a "shrimp!"
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 17:17

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all.

OK, y'all, just had to put my lonely vote in on the steaks. I LOVE NY strips, don't like rib-eyes at all. Way too rich, way too fatty for me. I also like a good T-bone now and then. But imo, the absolute BEST is a grilled beef tenderloin, possible the most expensive meat out there. We only do it for holidays now and then, but holy cow , We have a red wine/mushroom sauce we pour over it. Oh my…lost for a sec in a yum dream.

Trig---HI-larious with the "better a gun than a cell phone." But I get what you're saying. Using a gun on a shooting range is safe and about honing a talent for aim, etc. I guess, although I wouldn't know. Getting kids separated from their devices, and actually DOING something is a victory. Plus it's something she enjoys doing with her dad---SO important, imo. Girls really need strong and loving relationships w/their dads. I sure had one w/mine, and it made my life better in so many ways.

Jaz---Poopy snot, which is my best juvenile response to all things disappointing. Sorry Mr. Big missed the boat, and sorry the details of such you tried to share evaporated. It's all in the details, so can't say I'd lower the guillotine over him yet.

Hubby stood me up on our 4th or 5th date, and I was old enough and wise enough by then to think "Oh no you don't, this ain't a gonna work!" But he chased me right back with apology and explanation. I gave him a pass. To this day, 30 years later, he has never done it again. I don't believe in "zero tolerance" rules. Let's see where this goes.

Meme---Your post reminded me that I need to be better about counting onions in to my daily carb count. Which I realize I often forget, they just seem so harmless. I don't worry so much about them in a big dish of which you are having but a helping of, i.e., crack slaw. And even on a burger, you can have a nice slice (raw) or two (sautιed) for between 2 and 4 net carbs. Still, it all adds up. I know. Gotta be better about adding them in my count. But, never giving them up.

Nic---You sound SO good to me, like you're really leveling out after that nasty attack of whatever you had to suffer through.

On your hubs---yeah, NO, you don't get to eat high fat AND big carbs. This is pretty much a train wreck of a woe, the worst of everything from both. It's what I'd call the "donut woe" as the donut combines the worst aspects of fat and carbs.

No wife wants to be a nag, but I do think you have the right to say "You have to stay healthy for me, how you do it is your choice. So pick a way and do it." See how tough I am when I don't have to do that?

--- Just finished Anne Patchett's new one "Commonwealth." It was, good enough. I haven't read one of hers in a long time, but have read many of them. This wasn't my fave, but it was fine.

Now into another psychological thriller, a genre I can aways escape into, which is weird. Yeah. It's an almost 5 star on Amazon, and it's pretty good so far, can't say yet whether I'd recommend. Do you like Psych thinners?

DO have my next book picked out. "Empress." Showed up on a recent list of fave Historical Fiction books. It's the story of the only woman to lead China, like ever, and for a long time, a long time ago.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am feeling MUCH better and had a very productive day. Spent a couple of hours doing work I thought for sure I'd leave till tomorrow. But I was just uneasy about my to do list, and it was gray and gloomy out today---hey I can really dig that, very cozy---so I decided to dig in just a bit and gave myself a very low bar for accomplishing anything today.

As I always say, "the motivation is in the process." Holy cats meow, I got SO much done, which is going to make my Monday so much more bearable.

THEN, well gals, I had ordered a new coffee table for our living room a week ago, and it got here this last Friday. So today was the day we carted the old one out to the alley---a REALLY OLD one, a big old cedar chest "coffee table" of my grandmother's I've been carrying around for freaking ever---and it was scooped up by the alley crawlers in less than an hour. Happy voyage old chest, you served me well, but all good things come to an end.

LOVE my new coffee table, and spent a lovely time making it fit in. For me, every new thing engenders a chain reaction of other changes, which I had fun making.

Now, I must sign off, because I'm off to my treat night. Mac and cheese. Will NOT express my joy, as that would just be indecent on a LC site.
  #73   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 17:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

With jaz right now on missing the "rolling on the floor laughing" emoticon.

So---noticed when I re-read my thread after posting, that I asked Nic if she likes "psych thinners." OMG, talk about a great typo?

Of course, I meant psych THRILLERS. But then, to circle back on my typo, what's more thrilling than a "psych thinner?!
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 18:42

BF:

OMG I just hate it when my MOTHER is right...... urghhhhhh

So she called me to inquiry about Mr. Big- only to give me the biggest tongue lash EVER.

He has been burning up my text with apologies ever. He said if he could have walked to the moon to be with me it would have happened but he had a flat in downtown- and it took 4 hours- yea it really does in Atlanta. BUT HIS BUTT SHOULD have called me. My point!

So my MOTHER said- really- he was distraught over being stranded- and is BEGGING for another chance- made a mistake by not calling and your going to be a snot! Well she said BOTCH
. Need HYST.......
She is right..... I am.... He SHOULD HAVE AT LEAST CALLED..... and I should forgive- he was in a panic. Downtown Atlanta is the last place to be stranded.

Sooooooo Just this once.... need emoji ROFL- he gets a pass- and I will see. I can be pretty direct- with guys. I keep them on a tight leash- have had too- maybe that isn't working for me right now.

Ok- back to why we are here- cooked up for the week- 100% on plan.
Like you Blue- I prefer tenderloin- they call it filet- I Actually get it often. for 1 it's 7-8 bucks and worth every penny.

Ok- ready for tomorrow-

oh BTW- heard what you all said about birth control and age- listening hard! Thanks ladies! No drastic moves yet- just STILL bleeding.......... buying stock in depends...... HYST

Dam I miss that emoji
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Oct-30-16, 18:55

BF:

Blue- you are so right, I am feeling so much more leveled off and like myself. Interestingly though, you guys know I have PCOS and eating LC has REALLY leveled me off and made everything regular. Well, after running 24-28 days consistently for months and months, 5 weeks of LFHC seems to have stopped that. My hormones do not like that, Sam I Am!

BTW, I love a good tenderloin too. We serve Xmas dinner at our house every year for at least 12-14 and we always serve tenderloin and crab cakes. So amazing! I've never served a sauce with it though. That wine and mushroom sauce sounds incredible!

Reading- I usually really like Jodi Picoult although she has been hit-or-miss a little more over the past 5 years or so. But this last book, I just gave up on it. I think the current political and racial climate just made it too much for me. Every time I picked it up I was dreading it. So now I am on a different book and it is just okay for me. Hoping it gets better. Then I need to start the book club book soon- that is due to be read by Nov 7. My mind is such a sieve though that I don't want to finish it too early!

YES I LOVE PSYCH THINNERS! ALL THINNERS!!
Closed Thread