Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 19:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up Butter Chicken (Indian)

I'd been looking for a recipe for butter chicken similar to the one I'd had last year at a local restaurant and finally found one. It took a few weeks but tonight I plugged it into fitday and got the counts on it. Here we go (btw, its fabulous and not as complicated as it sounds)

Butter Chicken :

3lbs chicken thighs (deboned and deskinned)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger, ground
1/2 cup of plain yoghurt

4 tbsp butter
1 piece cinnamon (1 inch)
6 cloves
6 cardamon pods
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp saffron (crushed)
1/2 cup heavy cream (whipping is what I used)
2 tbsp Almond flour (ground almonds)

Mix yoghurt, ginger and salt and rub into chicken
let marinate overnight in fridge

Bake in 375 oven for 50 minutes, save liquid (if any)

In saucepan, melt butter and fry cinnamon, cloves, cardamon and bay leaf for 1 minute
Add sour cream and chicken liquid
Add crushed saffron and cream
Cover and simmer gently for 5 - 6 minutes
Add chicken pieces. Add ground almonds

Cover and let simmer for 4 - 5 minutes
Remove from heat and enjoy.

* all counts are for sauce ingredients only, I have not factored in the chicken

Calories = 1223
fat = 124g
carbs = 23g
fiber = 4g
protein = 13g

Nat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 17:48

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins

I my gosh...yesterday I was thinking about things I love to eat (and could eat before I started atkins...only 3 days ago) and I thought about how much I love butter chicken. I figured I would be able to eat it, but I didn't want to risk it...but now I can make it at home The only thing I'll miss will be the Naan, but oh well.

I have one question...the listing for amt. of carbs, proteins, etc. Is that in the total recipe or for each serving? It uses quite a bit of Chicken so I'm figuring it will feed five or six?

Thanks for the recipe

Erin
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 18:20

BF:

Hi erin That recipe (and nutritional count) is for the entire batch, I just made it and we served 4 hungry people with about 3 oz of the sauce left over (it goes nicely on broccoli so I'm saving it for tomorrow's meal). With the chicken added to the skillet there's barely any room left.. it makes quite a lot.

I hear you about the naan.... boyfreind was lamenting over not having rice with it too, but was satisfied when I brought out the cheesecake for desert

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 11:16

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Smile The Butter chicken was GREAT...

Thanks so much for the recipe...it turned out great.

I used 2 lbs. of chicken with the recipe, and made four servings...it was soooo filling. I also left out the cardamon pods also (first, b/c I couldn't find pods, second b/c grounded cardamon was 12 bucks in a little spice jar). Overall, I loved it...I already gave the recipe to my mom and she making it tonight
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Garam Masala

{Erin: I also left out the cardamon pods also (first, b/c I couldn't find pods, second b/c grounded cardamon was 12 bucks in a little spice jar). }

Garam Masala is a mixture of various spices. Ground cardamon, cloves, cumin, black pepper are included in almost ALL brands of Garam Masala (check the ingredients). I would have added a teaspoon of garam masala to the marinade albeit heating the individual spices in a little butter helps to bring out all the wonderful flavours to the maximum.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-01, 08:56

BF:

I found the pods at a bulk store, about 20 of them were .16 cents

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 06:47

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

I got cardamon pods at an Indian grocery store also-very affordable compared to regular supermarket. Also, have found just the seeds in bulk at an oriental foods market/store. Good luck-it's great in tea/coffee (decaf of course!).
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 14:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I made this for dinner this evening and it was fabulous

I did 'tweak' the recipe slightly - I used chicken breasts instead of thighs (and reduced the cooking time to 40 minutes), I did not add salt, used mixed spice because I didn't have any cinnamon (and it is the main ingredient in mixed spice) and added a teaspoon of Garam Masala.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 03:27

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I made this, and it came out kinna bland. I substituted Garam Masala for the cardamon and cinnammon b/c I didn't have the cardamon. I did everything exactly as it said except that I used a Tbsp of the GM, but the sauce didn't have much flavor. I've never had Indian food before, but I love foods from different cultures. What is butter chicken supposed to taste like?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 06:17

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
What is butter chicken supposed to taste like?

Butter chicken should taste so sumptuous, so decadent you should feel like a mogul emperor reclining on pillows, surrounded by his/her harem

Of the 50 or so recipes I've seen for butter chicken, I'd have say that although many had variations in ingredients, not one was missing garlic. Not to say that this isn't a delicious recipe. It's just that if one were trying to match their local restaurant, I'd add some garlic - and some other things as well.

Last edited by scott123 : Thu, Apr-01-04 at 14:23.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:24

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for that awesome taste visualization!...hehehe...hmm, i wanna feel like I'm surrounded by a harem of men....I'll have to cheat one day to find out what I'm missing, then doctor up a recipe.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 14:32

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Definitely do try it. Butter chicken (murg makhani) and the world famous dish derived from it, Chicken Tikka Masala, could be the best chicken dishes on the planet, imho

Oh, and my apologies for saying "his harem". The gender slipup has been edited.

If you need help with recipes, let me know. As I said earlier, my collection of butter chicken recipes is fairly vast. I have been trying to replicate my favorite restaurant for years and although I've made some headway, I still have some fine tuning to do.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-04, 07:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/115 Female 5-3
BF:
Progress:

Hi! I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this thread... I'd love some butter chicken recipes Scott! I'm a chef and my specialty is in cooking Thai & Indian food - so always looking for some fine-tuned recipes.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-04, 17:52

Plan: Atkins/CKD?
Stats: 183/160/130 Female 5'5"
BF:36%/30??/15-18%
Progress: 43%

It looks awesome and I'm going to try this recipe sometime soon... but I wish I could get my BF to eat it with me.

This might sound totally retarded... but my BF would not even taste it unless it looked authentic. He's ridiculously picky about food. Everything is perfect except for the color. What can I do to it to make it look bright orange, so I can convince him to eat some?

(He's from Bombay, India)
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 00:53

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
What can I do to it to make it look bright orange, so I can convince him to eat some?

Butter Chicken isn't supposed to be bright orange - the nearest dish that I can think of that's orange would be something like Chicken Tikka Massalla.

BTW, here's a pic of Nat's Butter Chicken, so that you can see how it turns out:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...&cat=504&page=4