Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 13:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default House Foods shirataki noodles at FreshCo

Previously, I occasionally would buy shirataki at Metro when they were on sale for $1.99 or less per package (regular price $2.69)

To my absolute surprise and delight, FreshCo started carrying them for $1.69 a package .. regular price ! Every now and then they're in the sale flyer at $1.29 . They routinely carry the tofu spaghetti and fettucini noodles, as well as plain angel hair (no tofu).

FreshCo stores are only in Ontario, however they're part of the Sobeys family which includes ..
Sobeys, FreshCo, IGA, Foodland, Price Chopper, Thrifty Foods and Co-op

If you have one of the above stores in your area, they might have them too . Look for shirataki in the refrigerated produce section with other tofu products.

I'm having fettucini, chicken, mushroom & roasted garlic "alfredo" tonight
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 15:11

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Editors Note: Sorry All. I didn't realize this was in the Canada section. My excitement from seeing a post about Shirataki noodles got the best of me. This post can be deleted if needed -thud123

====

Nice find Doreen! I too am a fan of these noodles. I ordered some of the "miracle noodle" from amazon and the were good and high quality but a bit pricey. I shop at Asian grocers on the weekends to pick up stuff I can't find at chain stores and have found a package or two of shirataki for less. Last weekend I stopped by United Noodles in the town of Minneapolis, Minnesota. I figured if there was a place that was gonna have lots of noodles this was it. I got lucky and found a bunch of different varieties of shirataki and seaweed noodle and tofu noodle YES! I'll take a picture of the brand I got and post tomorrow here. Look for them they are good and also at $1.69 per package.

I usually make them for one meal on the weekends. It's a treat! Here's last weekends stir fry.

Last edited by thud123 : Fri, Dec-11-15 at 15:40.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 16:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

My FreshCo has them, too. I also found an unrefrigerated shirataki at the Real Canadian Superstore in their ethnic aisle. They're the rubber band kind, though... the refrigerated tofu shirataki is way better.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 21:01
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Editors Note: Sorry All. I didn't realize this was in the Canada section. My excitement from seeing a post about Shirataki noodles got the best of me. This post can be deleted if needed -thud123

Are you kidding? With that photo .. it stays!!

I'm the same in that I consider these noodles as an occasional treat in a special recipe .. not a "must have" staple . They're best in dishes with lots of chunky proteins and vegetables in savoury sauce or broth, rather than as a plate-load of pasta with thick tomato sauce from a jar and powdered cheese. Not that *I* ever did that back in my high-carb days < cough >
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 21:03
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
My FreshCo has them, too. I also found an unrefrigerated shirataki at the Real Canadian Superstore in their ethnic aisle. They're the rubber band kind, though... the refrigerated tofu shirataki is way better.

Kristine, I've never seen those unrefrigerated types .. and your opinion about the rubbery texture reinforces my thought that I'll avoid 'em if & when I do see.

#6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-15, 05:39

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I am sensitive to soy and can't eat it so I have never tried the tofu noodles. I get the ones that others are calling "rubbery" and quite like them. They don't have to be refrigerated. I order them at Konjac Foods. You have to order them in quantity but since I use them a lot that's not an issue for me. A case of 24 packages cost a total of $36 including shipping in the US which comes to $1.50 per package. I saute some form of protein with some vegetables in coconut oil then add in the noodles. Tastes great.

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-15, 20:36

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for not banning me doreen and Jean, the way you make yours is right up my alley. Here's a picture of the ones I got and will vouch for them. It seems that JFC distributes in Canada and has a few offices. http://www.jfc.com/aboutus/

Happy Low Carbing and see you on the boards!