Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-17, 07:17
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%
Default Finish 2017 Strong. 90 Days On-Plan through the Holidays

So what is it going to be this year? This...

or this...

There are about 90 days left in 2017. I want to be be smiling when I weigh my self on January 1, 2018. My goal is to stay 100% on plan through October, November and December. I challenge you to do the same.

Over the next 3 months we will face the annual blitz of holiday goodies at every turn. There will be high carb traditional favorites at holiday dinners and parties. Candy dishes, wine glasses and stockings will be full. Nice people will present you with heartfelt gifts that include off-plan no-nos. Yes - the tough days of 2017 lie just ahead. Are you up to the challenge?

The season is supposed to be happy and festive. But we all know what happens when we give in to temptation. We have a moment of joy and a boatload of regret. How is that being happy and festive? How about treating yourself to healthy, on-plan food over the next 90 days and survive the holidays with a new sense of joy. Get to January 1 OP and discover the pride and joy of knowing that you did it. This is your WOE and you survived the holidays without regret.

2014 was the first time I ever vowed to make it through the holidays without cheating. There were no excuses. No justifications. No debates. If faced with temptation, the answer to whether I was going to give in to it was always NO. Guess what? I did it and it felt good. I managed to get it done in 2015, too. But 2016 was another story. I didn't stay out of the junk completely and instead of losing a few pounds over the holidays I gained a few. I want to do it right this year.

So just treat everyday as an on plan day. You've dodged the junk before - you can do it on a holiday, too. If you've never survived the holidays OP before, why not make this year special and memorable. Let this be the year that you stayed strong and got it done.

THE 90 CHALLENGE:

The official start date of this challenge is October 4th - exactly 90 days from New Year's Day. But feel free to join any time. Copy the last post and add your Name and Start Weight to the list. Enter your Goal Weight for January 1, 2018. My goal is to lose 10 pounds. But if your goal is to maintain, that is OK, too. Maintenance is always good, especially during the holidays. Then record your Current Weight periodically (every week or so) for the next 3 months. Always copy the most recent post and then add your changes to it. That way everybody's info will remain current.

For fun, lets post some NSVs along the way. Every time you are faced with a holiday temptation and find a way to cope without giving in -- that's the kind of NSV I'm talking about. Do it -- turn down the cheat -- and then tell us how you got it done. Staying OP does not have to be boring. If you have ideas for on-plan substitutes for traditional holiday fare, feel free to post that, too. We are not deprived. We are eating healthy.

I used to weigh 440 pounds. Clearly, I had issues with staying out of the goodies. But I've made it through the holidays twice without cheating. If I can do it, you can do it. So come on and join us. Finish 2017 strong!

I borrowed the images above from this [16 Days 'Til Christmas: 7 Tips to Stop Holiday Weight Gain] website. It is not an LC specific list of suggestions - but the it is good information none-the-less.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-17, 07:18
Say NO to Diabetes!

NAME..............START WEIGHT............CURRENT WEIGHT.........January 1st GOAL WEIGHT

Khrussva...................210..............................210......... ..................200
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-03-17, 17:28

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 205/181.8/145 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

NAME..............START WEIGHT............CURRENT WEIGHT.........January 1st GOAL WEIGHT

Khrussva...................210..............................210......... ..................200
Kinmount..................187.2...........................187.2......... ................170

I'll be happy to join in, as the holidays last year was the reason I regained 15 lbs. In Canada our Thanksgiving is this weekend, and I generally do well through that. But last year after Thanksgiving I baked my way through 10 lbs of butter making dozens of dozens of cookies, mostly whipped shortbread. I gave about half away to family and friends, and did a good job of eating my way through what was left for me and DH. This year I still plan to bake, but not as much. I do not plan or intend to eat the end product.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 04:50

Plan: Healthy Living
Stats: 196/146/125 Female 5ft3in
BF:
Progress: 70%

Kinmount..................187.2...........................187.2......... ................170
Jeannette..................156..............................156......... ...................144

This is wonderful! Thank you for starting this! I have been off plan since Friday But finally back on starting yesterday.
Are we posting weekly? I can't believe we are 90 days from a new year!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 07:06
Say NO to Diabetes!

Welcome ladies! Thanks for joining in. Posting weekly is recommended. That way we all know who is still around for the challenge. But you can post anytime you want to - including NSVs where you avoid temptation. Encouragement and support posts are welcome, too. We need all the help we can get.

My office will soon be inundated with holiday gifts from vendors; that in addition to what staff brings in to share. It is always treats of some kind, 99% of which I cannot eat. I've gotten well versed in staying out of it. It is not too much of a temptation anymore.

Home is a little more difficult. When the kids start baking cookies I do feel the temptation. I know that home-baked cookies are a trigger food for me. If I ate one, then the second, third, and fourth would not be far behind. I stay out of those, too. I know that I have to and that makes it easier. My problem is that when I start feeling deprived or left out I'll make LC treats to compensate. Last year I was too lax in doing that. I let too much back into my diet and gained slowly over the last 3 months of 2016. Then at the end of December I did cheat on the real thing. That is NOT going to happen this year. I want to lose weight over the same 3 months this year. So hold me to it!

Last edited by khrussva : Wed, Oct-04-17 at 10:06.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 09:53

BF:

Ken, thanks for starting this. Having support buddies this time of year is one of the keys to success. It's funny how we can trick ourselves into thinking that just one bite won't hurt, and that slowly starts to creep to more than a bite, or oops one bigger belt notch.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could find a way where our minds switch from feeling deprived to feeling empowered. After all, as much as we love those around us who indulge, THEY are the ones that are depriving themselves of the opportunity to prevent the health situation we are trying to reverse.

Stay strong. You've come such a long way. We CAN do this!.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-17, 10:34

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Jeannette..................156..............................156......... ...................144
SuzyQ.......................242.4...........................242.4....... ...................220

Thanks for this, Ken. The holidays have been my downfall a couple of times in the past, so here's to remaining strong!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 12:57

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/209/140 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

SuzyQ.......................242.4...........................242.4....... ...................220
Cybes.......................210..............................210........ .....................180

Starting today. Very excited!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 13:48

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Cybes.......................210..............................210........ .....................180
Sniggle.....................190...............................190....... .......................190

This will be my 3 month check on maintenance
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-17, 19:50
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Sniggle.....................190...............................190....... .......................190
bluesinger..................135..............................135........ .....................135

I'll settle for not gaining. Thanks for the incentive.
g
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-06-17, 08:11

BF:

I'm happy to pop in with a couple of NSV's.

Last night I cut slices of buttermilk seed bread for hubby and didn't taste even a crumb.

Family Thanksgiving is at our place tomorrow. I just put a pan of bread pudding in the oven for tomorrow's dessert. That was a deliberate choice as I detest the stuff!!!!

Stay strong challenge buddies.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-17, 07:13

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Good morning, challenge buddies! Saturday is my weigh-in day, so here's my update.

SuzyQ.......................242.4...........................240.8....... ..................220
Cybes.......................210..............................210........ ....................180
Sniggle.....................190...............................190....... ....................190
bluesinger..................135..............................135........ ...................135
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-08-17, 10:08

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Hi all, i saw a post about this challenge in Zoogirl's journal and it looks like a really good idea. it's so easy for carb creep to happen over the holidays, even if we're subbing legal lc recipes in for the really carby holiday foods. we're having thanksgiving dinner today and i'm allowing a bit of leeway for rutabaga (12 net carbs/cup!!) and a touch of low sugar cranberry sauce, but won't be having regular dessert or potatoes or anything like that. i'll make the gravy with gluccomannan to keep it lc. i think i can keep it well under 50 carbs for the day and then back to normal again tomorrow.

SuzyQ.......................242.4...........................240.8....... ..................220
Cybes.......................210..............................210........ ....................180
Sniggle.....................190...............................190....... ....................190
bluesinger..................135..............................135........ ...................135
walnut.......................185..............................185....... .....................179
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 03:26

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

walnut.......................185..............................185....... .....................179
zoogirl.......................107.4...........................107.4..... ......................110

Thanks guys, I would like to join this challenge, I don't know if I have done this correctly, I'm a computer idiot so, I'm not sure if the copy came out right. Anyway, I am starting maintenance and yes, the holidays are a tough time for me. I'm the only girl in this family and I do most of the preparing and entertaining, and my brothers expect treats, so does DH, so I will have treats for them and I will do my best, with your help to resist...lol.

Have a positive day, ttyl,
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-09-17, 07:34

Plan: Meat based
Stats: 136/120.2/114 Female 5 feet. 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 72%

zoogirl.......................107.4...........................107.4..... ......................110
ForeverLC (JoAnn).......116.7...........................116.7..................... .....112

Joining to stay on track!