Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-10, 08:43

Plan: Atkins, adjusted
Stats: 165/150/130 Female 5'8
BF:yes
Progress: 43%
Default Transformations

Yoga is my primary and most consistent form of exercise, although I love to run as well. Feel like yoga challenges all aspects of me: mind, body, and spirit. It's a triple threat when they can all be exercised together.

I just plunked down the cash for 4 weeks (5x a week) of "Body Design" yoga classes at an Ayurveda studio in my city. For the cash, I'm going to be darn sure to keep a log of my progress, although with the schedule (yoga in the AM and then work) it might be difficult to keep up.

This class is 90 minutes of pouring sweat and pounding heart. The room is heated to start, and they do deep breathing that supposedly encourages detox, and makes you feel like you're going to pass out. I love it. Sun salutations in quick succession without a break and jumping from utanasana to plank pose, then from down dog to utanasana. Would also like to do more research about Ayurveda, etc as classes aren't in English (I'm in South Korea. The teacher's English is excellent, but I understand that it's harder to describe some of the Ayurvedic terms)

Took some "before" shots, but they didn't come out well. Will have another crack at it before bed and hopefully post before the week is out.

Here's to ongoing transformation!

~Alexis
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 09:51

Day #2- Wowza! Still sore (mostly hips and shoulders... oh, my word, my shoulders...) but loving it!

Posting info about the different types of breathing that they (we) practice:

Kapalabhati (breathing)

Kapalabhati is an exercise for the purification of the nasal passage and lungs. Though this is one of the six purificatory exercises (Kriyas) , it is a variety of Pranayama (breathing exercises).
This is especially used to control the movements of the diaphragm and to remove spasm in bronchial tubes. Consequently, persons suffering from asthma will find this very helpful. It also aids in curing consumption, removes impurities fo the blood, and tones up the circulatory and respiratory systems.
Kapalabhati is the best exercise to stimulate every tissue of the body. After and during the practice, a peculiar vibration and joy can be felt, especially in the spinal centers. When the vital nerve current is stimulated through this exercise, the entire spine will be like a live wire and one can feel the movement of the nerve current.
Great quantities of carbon dioxide gas are eliminated. Intake of oxygen makes the blood richer and renews the body tissues. Moreover, the constant movements of the diaphragm up and down act as a stimulant to the stomach, liver and pancreas.
Before learning some of the higher breathing exercises such as Bhastrika Pranayama, it is very important to master Kapalabhati; Bhastrika breathing is considered to be the best breathing exercise for awakening the spiritual power after the purification of the Nadis or nerves.

Technique
After taking a comfortable sitting position, preferably the lotus pose, take a few deep breaths. See that the diaphragm is moving properly. During inhalation, the diaphragm descends and the abdomen is pushed out. During exhalation, the diaphragm pushes the lungs up and the abdomen goes toward the spine. This constant up-and-down movement of the diaphragm throws the air in and out. Here more attention is focused on exhalation than inhalation.
Sudden contraction of the abdominal muscles raises the diaphragm and in turn a volume of air is forced out of the lungs. This is an inward stroke of the abdomen. As soon as the air is thrown out, relax the abdominal muscles, which in turn allows the diaphragm to descend. As the diaphragm comes down, a volume of air automatically rushes in. Here, inhalation is passive and exhalation active.
Start one round of this exercise with ten or fifteen expulsions. At the end of ten expulsions, take a deep inhalation and hold the air as long as possible. This will add its oxygen value and bring a peculiar, pleasant vibration throughout the body, as though you are bathing every tissue of the body with energy. A few days' practice will convince you of its wonderful, stimulating sensation.
Practice three rounds in the beginning, each round consisting of ten expulsions, and gradually increase the number of rounds to five or six. After a few weeks' practice, increase the expulsion to twenty or twenty five. Between successive rounds, normal respiration is allowed to give the needed rest.
During the practice, concentrate on the solar plexus and eventually the nervous system will become spiritually active. This will be manifested by a throbbing sensation in the spine and a lightness throughout the entire body.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 09:57

Day #3
"throbbing sensation in the spine and lightness throughout the body" is right. My goodness! More like Houston we have lift-off. Sheesh! I definitely saw stars, not sure if that's a knock-off effect of the oxygen depravation, or what, but it does get the blood going.

It's such an interesting experience taking a class in another language. I've learned the breathing more through just listening to the other people in the class do it, and I have come to know people more by the cadence in their voice and not necessarily by their names (umm, definitely not by their names b.c I don't ask anyone's name b.c I'm not brave enough to do that in Korean yet.) Well.

Today was definitely "ab work" day and I can feel that my lower abs definitely need the work. Ugh. I went up to try my handstand, but couldn't even attempt it b.c my back felt too weak. Am going to try to do some strengthening exercises on my own before next class.

Phew! Exhausted, but so worth it. Finding that this yoga is also bringing up a whole host of emotions, too. Spent a good chunk of the night crying on the floor which was actually a wonderful experience. Well, now. Better out than in, as my mother would say.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-10, 11:16

Day #4- aka "day of 108 sun salutations" Or at least that's what it felt like... and they were super fast, too. I couldn't do them all, but hopefully as the class goes on, I'll get stronger.

Lower abs are sore, which is good. I also did a lotus pose in a shoulder stand and then put my legs on the mat. The teacher came over and did an adjustment pushing down on my knees while my legs were still in lotus. Was like throbbing intense pressure in my hips, but in a good way. Strange how these adjustments in my body seem to be reflecting in my consciousness. Well.