Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 18:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Net Carb Question

Hi All,

I am new to Atkins and Low Carb eating in general. So I have been on Atkins almost 2 weeks and have lost about 10 lbs. However, I rarely get close to the 20 Net carbs. I am pretty consistently getting 10-14 net carbs. Does it matter that I am that low or should I really be getting 20?

Thank all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 20:10

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

10 pounds in 2 weeks is a great start. It took me closer to a month to lose that much when I got started. Well done!

No, there's no need for you to be hitting 20g/day, it's more like a recommended maximum. If you can sustain what you're doing without getting to 20, then that's fine. Some of us here are even trying zero carb (ZC) at the moment, though I'm not one of them, hehe.

You're doing great; keep up the good work.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 20:12
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Consider 20 your upper limit. It is fine to eat fewer net carbs than what your plan calls for. In the last 4 years I've tweaked my diet several times trying different net carb limits from < 20 to < 45 as I neared my goal weight. In maintenance I let the net carbs slip a little higher and I started gaining weight. Everyone is different. Some people need to limit total carbs to less than 20 to lose weight. I seem to do 'net carbs' just fine. When I was obese and had blood sugar issues I needed to keep my net carbs really low. Once I became healthier, I was able to add back a few more carbs. But I just can't go too high on the net carbs or my weight starts going the other way. Currently I'm trying to lose a few pounds that I gained last year in my attempt at maintenance. I've dropped my net carb limit to 25 or less. But my preference is to keep them lower than that.

I wish you the best as you get started. Congratulations on that first 10 pounds. Keep at it and you will get to where you want to be.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-18, 20:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200.5/192/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your responses! I have been killing myself to get the 20 net carbs! Hopefully it will be a little easier now that I know this! Thank you so much for the info. Good info on tweaking the net carbs
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-18, 06:35

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Are you using the Atkins20 on the website to get the 20g net carbs, 15 of which must come from foundation vegetables? That is a crazy amount of fiber depending on the vegetables you choose. Not to worry, Dr Atkins himself, and now Dr Westman, use 20g TOTAL carbs and only ask that you eat 3 cups of vegetables a day. I had the same problem when I started with the on-line rules, but many of us here use the 2002 plan http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 or even the 1972 version.