Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 00:46
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%
Default Mean and Lean with the Warrior Diet

Why are you not interested in things that work?

Although I am trying very hard to form a group of users of the Warrior Diet this is not going fast enough.

Like the threadstarter 'Why are you SO obese' I am coming from German BB forums, so I don't understand why people don't start using things that work.

This one life-style got me from 30% BF to 18% in a year. A transformation I would say.

But I get so little reactions here, I would like to have more feedback, to reassure myself but also to find new tips&trics. Even harsh critics are very welcome, I don't take it personally, so come and let me have it !

Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 03:52
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

I haven't seen anyone else on the Warrior Diet, maybe that's why your not getting a response.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 06:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Like the threadstarter 'Why are you SO obese' I am coming from German BB forums, so I don't understand why people don't start using things that work.

Watcher, you have to understand that this is a very different group of people here than you will find on a hardcore bodybuilding forum.
From what I've read of the Warrior diet, it is a low cal, low fat program that doesn't appear to be very low carb; lower than the average person perhaps. Now, if you are training hard it's possible that you need more carbs but the majority of people here are not training that hard; excercising, yes...but not at those intensity levels for the most part.
Why don't people start using things that work? I guess that depends on your objective and your definition of what "works" is. The majority of people here are interested in losing weight and improving their health, not getting a bodybuilder physique and many here are quite successful at losing large amounts of weight following low carb as well as getting off a variety of medications. Based on that, I'd say it works very well.
Different methods, different objectives.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 08:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Could you link to information on the Warrior Diet? As to something "that works," Atkins has been terrific for me.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 16:14
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Frankly, I haven't responded because you've been so pushy, overbearing and rude about it in many threads I've seen.

You DID ask....
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 16:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"Why are you not interested in things that work?"

That's what we're all interested in. It only WORKS, however, if it fits into your lifestyle and you enjoy it. My method - Protein Power maintenance, a few light workouts per week, lots of walking - works perfectly for me. I'm only interested in what works for other people as general interest.

---------
Kristine, who hasn't set foot in a gym in years

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Apr-25-04 at 16:32.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 16:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
Could you link to information on the Warrior Diet? As to something "that works," Atkins has been terrific for me.

Here you go!
http://www.warriordiet.com/about.html
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 17:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Thanks for the link.

Hmmm... deliberate undereating followed by deliberate overeating at night. Heh heh... It appears I've already done the warrior diet, but back then, it was called an eating disorder.

I don't doubt that this plan would work nicely for many people, but psychology is the trump card when it comes to habit change. Grazing works best for me.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 23:51
Registered Member

In this thread you find some more links and info

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=177507
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 23:54
Registered Member

#11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 02:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

I am very interested in things that work.

You say "This one life-style got me from 30% BF to 18% in a year. A transformation I would say."

Congratulations.

Mind you my low carb transformation has been greater, and quicker (5 months) so I am sure you will be interested in that.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 06:30
Registered Member

Hello Malcolm,

I have read your posts and visited the protein power discussion board. Very interesting. It looks like what you do and I do have a large area of overlap.

What is your excercise program and what do you eat in a typical day?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 10:48

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

[QUOTE=watcher16]Why are you not interested in things that work?

This one life-style got me from 30% BF to 18% in a year. A transformation I would say.
[QUOTE]

Congrats on your progress. If it works for you and you like it, go for it. However...

30% - 18% - a difference of 12 percentage points.

That's 1 percentage point per MONTH.

On BFL, I lose about one percentage point per WEEK, maybe two weeks if things are moving a bit slowly. So, I would say that I AM ALREADY doing what works. Incidentally, I also added about 10 lbs of lean mass during the last 12 weeks.

If people are interested in building a community with you around the Warrior diet, it will happen. But it won't happen by proselytizing, insults (you are implying that nothing here 'works') or shoving things down people's throats.

Also, your post about gorging at night where no one can see you so that you can smugly undereat in front of people the next day? That sounds like an eating disorder followed by a severe attitude problem.

Cheers,

Friday
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 11:03

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

Quote from the interview with the AUTHOR of this diet:

T: Tell me about the results that you've attained from being on the Warrior diet. I mean, how much do you weigh, how lean are you, and how long have you been following these principles? I've heard that you're ripped and hard as granite.

OH:
Well, I've been on the Warrior diet, religiously, for the last year—and on and off for many years. Genetically, I come from a lean family. But you know, I look around at some of my relatives, and they've gotten fat and soft. So, I think that my results are a combination of genes and my own behavior, mostly the behavior.

I really practice the Warrior diet. My fat ranges between four and five percent. My bodyweight is 165 pounds, and I'm 5'9" tall. So, yeah, I can say that I'm ripped and hard.

T: Do you have athletes who you put on the Warrior diet and, in particular, bodybuilders?

OH:
I haven't had any bodybuilders try it, yet. But I've had athletes in other sports, like the martial arts, go on the Warrior diet with great success.

T: Have you had large, muscular athletes on the program?

OH:
No, but I'm sure that it will work.

T: So, in essence, most of the people that you've seen go on the Warrior diet are smaller athletes or average people.
T: What about the people who train in the morning?

OH:
I have a big problem with working out in the morning. You need to overeat about an hour after the workout, otherwise you might not receive anything from the training; you might even crash. So, for those crazy people who wake up and start their workout at 6 o'clock in the morning, I would say that the Warrior diet is not perfect for them. They can adjust it, but it's just not perfect for them. The Warrior diet's designed around an evening workout. Anyway, there's more and more research showing that the peak time to work out is actually after 6pm.

It does not seem to be a very diverse, huge group of people who even tried this. No clinical trial, even the endorsements seem from a narrow group. I do not say that it does not work, but maybe we should wait for a little more info before jumping into it.

There are many OTHER, older LC diets - with huge success. Somehow they WORK:-) So please, do not assume that people here are ignorant only because chosing OTHER working plans:-)))

Regarding your repeated reference to the unity of German BB forums. The "mine is the only working way, anything else is waste of time" - is alien for many international forums. Btw German members of these international forums tend to be much more tolerant:-)))

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Apr-26-04 at 11:56.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 21:49

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

"Hello Malcolm,

I have read your posts and visited the protein power discussion board. Very interesting. It looks like what you do and I do have a large area of overlap."

- Well apart from your desire to do a low carb version of this diet, I don't think we overlap a whole lot! (By the way eating icecream and chocolate for dessert is hardly low carb)

Protein Power is similar to Atkins - the only significant differences are the approach to the intervention/induction phase and attitudes to things like caffeine and alcohol. The Eades came up with the concept of effective carb counts (Carbs minus fibre) since adopted by Atkins (net carbs). Atkins now goes further and discounts sugar alcohols - which I don't.

Your plan of eating little during the day and saving yourself for a binge at night, reminds me of what I ended up doing when I was convinced by "experts" that low fat (high carb) was the way to good health. Nothing could be further from the truth, and as Kristine says this type of behaviour either is, or can certainly lead to, serious eating disorders. By the way , yes I did lose weight the low fat way, but for me it least, it was impossible to sustain.

The founder of "the Warrior Diet" seems to have started out with a basic hunter gatherer/real non processed food philosophy, something that underpins most low carb eating plans. He then seems to have lost his way by extolling the virtues of grains (not part of a hunter gatherer diet) and if you are an example, allowing free rein over any processed and sugar filled junk food - as long as you eat it at night!

Like I said before, congratulations on your weight loss, but take the time to watch and read this and other low carb forums, which describe a way of life that not only works, it provides the basis for lifelong good health with a sensible and easy to follow way of eating.

Cheers,

Malcolm