Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 11:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Stiff & sore when I get up

This is getting ridiculous! I move like I'm 80 years old after I've been sitting awhile, or when I get out of bed at night. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this?

I do have some arthritis in my spine, L4-L5. Is it possibly because of this? I exercise regularly and I know it isn't due to the exercise because, if anything, it was worse before I started the exercise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 11:43

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
This is getting ridiculous! I move like I'm 80 years old after I've been sitting awhile, or when I get out of bed at night. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this?

I do have some arthritis in my spine, L4-L5. Is it possibly because of this? I exercise regularly and I know it isn't due to the exercise because, if anything, it was worse before I started the exercise.
I have the same problem. One thing I discovered is that it is a symptom of adrenal fatigue as well as my dizziness. Will talk to dr. about it but I am going to look into supplements since I don't want the prescription cortisol. I tried exercising on the rebounder and ended up so sore in my legs I could barely walk. The pain lasted over a week.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 12:13
Experimenter

BF:

You might look into BPPV for the dizziness. That is what mine is. I do some maneuvers with my head and get my "ear rocks" back in place and then I'm fine.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
You might look into BPPV for the dizziness. That is what mine is. I do some maneuvers with my head and get my "ear rocks" back in place and then I'm fine.
What is BPPV?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 13:58

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I get the same thing. 2 days ago I did 30 mins on the treadmill, I also had to go to 4 grocery stores to get the best out of my coupons. I was so sore I couldn't move. Yesterday was the worse, so I ended up taking it easy. It worries me I don't want to end up not being able to walk
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 14:26
Experimenter

BF:

BPPV: http://vestibular.org/understanding...itional-vertigo

I get that stiffness without exercise even worse than with. :\
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 20:04

Thanks Nancy. I don't have vertigo, nausea, imbalance (except when I'm dizzy!), or difficulty concentrating so that is not the problem. I've been on adrenal meds in the past so I'm thinking that is the problem.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 20:08

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/182/140 Female 162 cm
BF:
Progress: 16%

I get stiff hand joint when I wake up, its the weirdest thing!
It doesn't last long, a few minutes..

And then during the day it's my knees, feet, everytime I get up from sitting - exactly like an out of shape 80 year old arthritic woman!

I work standing up ALL day wearing LEAD aprons (radiation protection), in my case, that might be it..

Other than exercise (which I agree lubricates the joints a little), what kind of daily activity do you do?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 20:32
Experimenter

BF:

I've got a very sedentary job. I'm a programmer. Anyway, I get up and walk a couple times a day and take a longish walk in the afternoon. I'm also lifting weights 2-3x a week and swimming.

I actually had a reasonably good day today. Maybe because I remembered to take my krill oil? That'd be nice, but I doubt it is a cure.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-26-14, 20:34
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
Thanks Nancy. I don't have vertigo, nausea, imbalance (except when I'm dizzy!), or difficulty concentrating so that is not the problem. I've been on adrenal meds in the past so I'm thinking that is the problem.

If you find that your dizziness gets worse when you sit up from laying down, or rolling onto one side (versus the other), then it might be BPPV. I do a little test where I lie down from sitting up first on one side, then the other. That helps me narrow down which side is having ear rock slides.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 10:38

Plan: my own
Stats: 215/170.5/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 64%

This began creeping into my world about 5 years ago when my body got very serious about achieving menopause. It's just what you describe - very stiff and sore when getting out of bed or getting up from sitting a while or laying around on the sofa. Then after a couple of minutes of walking, it goes away.

I first thought it was some kind of arthritis, but it's in my whole body and only after being sedentary then clears up quickly if i get moving. Doctor also tested for inflammation elevation in my blood and said it was normal. That would have been a sure indicator of arthritis. So now I'm certain, after much research, that it's a side effect of drastic hormonal changes of (peri)menopause. Yeah, it sucks and it makes me feel like i'm 100 years old if i happen to walk by a mirror and get a glimpse of myself all hunched over and stiff, until i can soon straighten up and walk right. Only thing that helps me is to not sit or lay for long periods of time (like watching tv, or at work), or I sometimes take Advil or Tramadol and they really do help. I'm hoping that losing a lot of weight will improve the situation, but only time will tell.

Seriously, nothing has sucked more than being BOTH menopausal AND overweight. They are tangled up together and it's been a hard battle to get free of!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 10:50
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I'm past peri-menopause. I stopped menstruating 3 years ago. Man, I hate it! But it is nice to know it isn't just me! Oh wow... just googled menopause and joint pain. This is a thing!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 11:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I had these issues but it went away after a week or two of being wheat free. My mother has had the same experience, although she does suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and hasn't completely gotten rid of her pain and stiffness. I am a different person now.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 11:52
Experimenter

BF:

I did have those issues too, in my 40's, and then went away when I went gluten free. But they came back now that I'm in menopause. :\
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-14, 12:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

My mother used to say that when you first wake up, don't jump out of the bed right away, sit up on the edge of the bed and let your blood pressure stabilize first.
Maybe that would help?