Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 09:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Savoury Spaghetti Sauce

This is to die for. Many moons ago, when I still actually ate spaghetti, I begged a friend's mom for this recipe after she made it for us for dinner one night. It's great over spaghetti squash - it neutralizes that sweet spaghetti squash taste. Don't forget the parmesan cheese.

1 lb ground beef, preferably extra-lean
1 bell pepper, diced (I prefer red)
1 onion, diced
1/2 tsp each dried sage, chili powder, and salt
1 tsp dried oregano
2 heaping tsp thyme
12 drops of stevia, a couple of packets of Splenda, or equiv.
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 lg can diced tomatoes
1 6-oz can tomato paste
5-6 bay leaves

Mix everything together in a pot - don't brown the meat! It has a much smoother texture this way. That's why I suggest extra lean ground beef. If you use regular, you'll have pools of beef fat. I've done it that way, and there's nothing wrong with it... it's just a little weird.

Bring it to a gentle boil, then simmer at least until the meat is cooked and most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove the bay leaves.

If you do this in a crock pot, drain the tomatoes well. (Hint: save the juice for your next pot of soup.) The sauce will still be thinner than it would have been on the stove top, but it still works.

It tastes way better the next day after a night in the fridge. It freezes really well, but I rarely have enough left over to freeze.

Nutrition info: I consider 1/4 of the recipe to be a serving. It's a lot of sauce, but that's a 4 oz serving of beef. It's a hair on the carby side, but you can cut the onion, tomatoes and tomato paste a bit. You could also use a much smaller serving and just have another protein food on the side. Keep in mind that this is for the specific ingredients I used; your beef and veggies will probably vary.

Cal: 256
Fat: 12 g
Protein: 23 g
Carb: 15 total - 4 fiber = 11 net
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-07, 16:49
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

This looks great! I was searching Kroger today for some SF spaghetti sauce to no avail! Now I can make my own!!

;-)
Juli
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 11:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 182/177/143 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

hi, I'm Susie G, I've been cooking with Victoria Marinara sauce which is only 2 net carbs for one half cup. I add meatballs to the sauce without any breadcrumbs and it comes out great.