Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 22:54
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%
Default Shirataki in the Lower Mainland?

Awww yes, another shirataki thread......anyone have any luck finding them in the lower mainland.....let's say Richmond, Surrey, New West, Fraser Valley. I have been hunting high and low.....I had one store tell me that they were out of stock & not sure if/when they would be getting more.....all others look at me like I have two heads when trying to explain to them what I'm looking for.

Help! I need a new food.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 23:38

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

C'mon down to the Seattle area and find a Marlene's Deli - nearer to Tacoma. Assuming you can take food stuffs back over the border!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 07:11
Recovering Yo-Yo

Thanks Patricia! I was down in Seattle 2 weeks ago...darn it all! Oh well, I think a food run south of the border is in order in the next month anyways so maybe I could hit it then.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 08:55

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I found them once, eons ago, at Superstore Metrotown. No idea if they still have them - but there is a large Asian customer base at that location.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 09:50
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

try Fujiya
http://www.fujiya.ca/store_locations.cfm

Their main store is on Clark near Venables (and definitely worth a visit--it's incredible!) but it looks like they've also got one in Richmond. Victorians have also been looking for shirataki and someone mentioned the Fujiya on Shelbourne, too.

Thanks for the thread--reminds me to put some in my soup

PS--there's also a little store off Kingsway in Burnaby near New West border, possibly Korean but carries lots of different Asian foods. Sorry I don't know the name--I think it's between the A&W and Canadian Tire--tucked away in the back behind Canadian Tire as I recall (I believe that's the 5500 block of Kingsway).
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 19:47
Recovering Yo-Yo

Thanks so much everyone. I'll keep looking & will keep you posted!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-28-06, 00:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

T&T Supermarket in Richmond, supposed to be the biggest Asian store anywhere with TONS of Japanese items, including Shiritaki/Konnyaku (try both names, also try "wet noodle", I kid you not).

"T&T has re-created the Asian grocery business, which has traditionally been housed in smaller shops in Canada’s urban and suburban Chinatowns, with a modern supermarket format. Its stores, which measure between 21,000 and 65,000 square feet, sell about 20,000 different food items, including unusual and exotic fruits, jasmine rice and live Australian king crab. Founded in 1993 in Richmond, T&T has stores in Canada’s two largest shopping centers — West Edmonton Mall and Metropolis Centre, Burnaby, British Columbia — and in 10 other locations from Vancouver to Toronto, of which seven are shopping centers. The company says it plans to expand further in the country. "
==and==
" On the edge of Chinatown, next to the Dr. Sun Yat Sen Garden and Park, stands the T&T, an expansive, modern Asian-style supermarket. If you want to see the narrowing divide between Vancouver's old and new immigrants, take a self-guided tour through the T&T. Sure, it's more adventurous to roam through Chinatown to shop for mysterious produce and herbs, Fong admits, but "one thing that is easy about (T&T) is they all speak English, so it's consumer-friendly."

"

boy, would I love to check out that T&T place, but haven't been able to get myself over to Richmond much (besides, I always get LOST in Richmond!).

#8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 07:59
Recovering Yo-Yo

Thanks so much Islandgirl! I did go to Richmond last weekend and hit two T&T stores......one told me they "thought" they were out of stock.....the other had no idea what I was talking about. I ventured to the T&T in the Guildford area of Surrey.....same thing, no idea what I was talking about. There is one more in Surrey that I will try to get to in the next week & try my luck there.

I got myself lost in Richmond too!

Will keep you posted
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 13:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Check in Karen's Corner of this Kitchen Forum for discussion (possible locations) and pics. Karen knows the asian stuff big time, is an excellent cook, and I'm almost positive has posted pics and Vancouver locations. Famous Foods? Gallagher's? Sunrise (?) Grocery in the West End? Not sure.

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tb...u/housetofu.jpgthis is a Tofu Shirataki package...

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tb...hirataki_wh.gifcan look like this...
http://images.google.ca/images?q=tb...8/z31743223.jpgcontents look like this...

Maybe print this post and drag it along...

Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-29-06, 15:35

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

we have a fabulous T&T here in Markham ON. That's where i first found the shirataki noodles...for anyone in the GTA....it's at Warden and Steeles.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 21:40
Recovering Yo-Yo

Thanks again for your help everyone. Went back to the first T&T that I visited & did some more poking around.......and there they were
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 14:51

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Still haven't tried them yet but thanks again for picking up some noodles for me, too.

Karen served them in a cold noodle salad at a bbq we both attended so, yeah, I'd check with Karen about where to find them other than T&T if you don't have one near you
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 18:48

Plan: nl
Stats: 183/174/150 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress:

HI josiekat
which T&T exactly in Richmond did u get the noodles?
And are they on a regular shelf or fridge/freezer.
Pls let me know. So Surrey T&T doesnt have it right?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 07:12

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

In my T&T in Ontario, the shiritaki are found where the refridgerated noodles are... along with the tofu. My store has one entire refrigerated aisle just for the cold noodles. You might want to check there....